By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Winter is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private Stand through the pain, you won't drown

Discussion in 'Ark City' started by Riza Hawkeye, May 5, 2019.

1. Riza Hawkeye

Riza Hawkeye Fullmetal Alchemist

Ark Chancellor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    May 23, Year 108
    @Prompto Argentum

Riza had definitely had better weeks. That was saying it as lightly as possible without the concept absolutely disintegrating in front of her eyes- but it was still accurate, and that helped somehow. This was a bad week even compared to a lot of very, very terrible times that had come before it. She'd grown up as the guardian of terrible facts, then a teenage soldier in a terribly biased, exploitative war, a bodyguard, member of the revolution..

That seemed so long ago now, all of it pre-Pandora. Before her and Roy had made a life here, by hesitant steps, but good ones, even on rocky ground.

She was still here, and still had that life. How it still mattered without him in it, that she was still sorting out. Things went on; why they did, that was the question. And yet, she kept going. One step after another, alone on the path, in case there was something else along the way. It was best to focus on work, things that were more pressing than what she couldn't change, even if it felt like a bullet had ripped through her chest. I was ordered not to give up. Damn you, sir.

Living for others was fine. She'd done it before, and would now. Prompto, the reporter she'd met at the shooting range and struck up a sort of unconventional friendship with, had gone through his own hard time recently and it was one she could empathize with very deeply. The person he loved was gone from him, someone he'd supported and traveled with, fought alongside and loved, now no longer in that space- but still literally in that space. Breakups were tricky; she'd observed enough of them to know that. Hell, she'd even helped Rebecca through some of her messier ones. Whether that would be helpful to Prompto, she didn't know, but it was a start.

She'd asked a favor of the owner of the shooting range at the edge of town and he'd given her a key in exchange for her promising to lock up afterward. Now she was at the gate, a linen shopping bag holding two bottles of scotch and some glasses, though she wasn't sure they'd even get used. In her other hand was a lot of bullets. Hayate was at her side, quiet and confused at Hawkeye's tension, leaning on her leg a little to try and comfort. She let him. At least she still had him.

Someone was approaching and Riza watched cautiously but calmly to make sure it was the guest she expected. This really wasn't a night for surprises.

Prompto Argentum likes this.
  2. Prompto Argentum

Prompto Argentum Final Fantasy
    Chocobro

Mailman
    Race:
    Human(ish)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    Shit in Pandora had been going too good hadn't it? Only two real meltdowns he had was when Misty Hollow stopped having a sun for like a week, and when he learned of Noct's fate when Iggy dropped in. Other than that, shit was good. He had a job, a nice house, a car, and literally all his friends were here. He'd still kill (not really) for Cindy or Aranea or Iris - but like. The gay boyband was all present and accounted for. Plus he finally got to meet Luna - this literal celebrity that he only knew in name and from a distance before Pandora. Now she was like his big sister, and he'd do anything for her.

He was lucky here.
    Happy here.

So...maybe he had become too soft to things going wrong. That was his theory, anyway. Too much happiness, sunlight, luck. Instead of the literal shit-show he had left back home, there was hope here. And it was weird for awhile, until it felt normal. Then shit fell apart, and...he was still recovering if he was honest.

It...felt stupid. Really-really stupid. After all, he was the one that brought up the convo in the first place. He was the reason why they were faced with the question on whether they should end it or not. If he hadn't said anything, it prob would still be going...just...both of them fucking miserable.

But it wasn't, and he was having a hard time feeling anything, if he was honest.

Everything sorta hit him right after. And since had been a fog.

So...getting away seemed like a good idea. Just needed some air. Some space. Some time to rethink some shit. Cuz like...what happened when it didn't work out with the one person you had been in love with for like...ever. His brain didn't even have a plan post-Noct. It had been something he had thought about forever, but it was impossible. A pleb and royalty? Did Noct even like guys? Did he? But everything just sort of fell into place in a perfect way.

Until Prompto found himself constantly miserable, and he realized...they were genuinely bad for each other. He needed...someone who cared, which sounded bad. But just...more effort. More love. More everything. It was literally their old friendship just with occasional making out. Which was fine.

But...he wanted more than that.
    Deserved more than that.

And Noct did too.

Finding out that his badass lady friend Riza was also having a shit-tastic time, she invited him out of Pandopolis to go shoot stuff at a shooting range to unwind. Which...yeah, that sounded freaking fantastic.

Parking his car, he didn't bother to summon his weapons to put in a case. If it was just them, he could freely swap without pissing people off. Easier to just keep them in the Armiger until needed. He...was in the mood to use things outside his normal pistol. A whole arsenal of guns stowed away he hardly used.

Time to change that up.

Walking over, he offered a wave - giving a special wave to the best puppy, "Hey-hey lady-dude! Hope I didn't keep you waiting for long. There was like...a weird amount of traffic between portals and junk. Thanks again for inviting me out here. Really...really needed to get away," he admitted, scratching his neck.

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  3. Riza Hawkeye

Ark Chancellor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    It was a familiarly shaggy-blonde head of hair that she saw and she relaxed slightly, almost imperceptibly, at the confirmation. He seemed- well, more chipper than she was, if she was being honest, but that was alright. Different people handled things in different ways and if that was how he preferred she couldn't fault him for it. She was very used to keeping a particular demeanor about herself as well, sectioning away the most raw parts until there was no one to embarrass, disturb or embolden with her show of weakness. It wasn't that she'd been made of ice, or impossible to crack, and she was sure people had noticed- but they would have noticed she was still standing through it.

Until she got home, of course. No one saw that. And it was so much more raw there, too. They'd always had different schedules, intense ones that they were dedicated to; she'd been there alone quite a few times. But knowing Roy wouldn't be coming home..

She pushed those thoughts back and gave Prompto a very faint, very stoic smile and a nod of greeting that was warmer as he started to approach, and Hayate gave a happy little bark of greeting at the wave. He knew what those meant, the smart dog. But he didn't leave Riza's side to walk over to the boy either. He might not know what was going on, but he could recognize tension better than most people, especially when it was his favorite human in the whole world.

"I only got here a little while ago myself," she assured him with an easy half-truth because time was subjective anyway. "Thank you for agreeing to come. I'm glad to help, and it's generally a bad idea to undertake these sort of venting sessions on your own, especially when there's a lot to work out, so you're doing me a favor as well." She held up the bag that held two very expensive bottles of scotch. There was one more of Mustang's stash left at the house, waiting for the chance he ever came back. She wasn't sure if Prompto was a drinker, and she generally didn't have a lot herself, but a tribute that went to a couple more drinks was pretty common in her experience of situations like this. Is it a memorial to the fallen if they're still alive but you can never be with them again?

"How are you holding up?"
    she asked him, sincerely concerned about the young man.

4. Prompto Argentum

Chocobro

Mailman
    Race:
    Human(ish)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    Honestly it was just...nice being away from people who were associated with Noct, as shitty as that sounded. Because like as much as he wanted to just...bitch and vent - which he did a fair share of the night of the breakup at Gladio - he...always sorta felt like he had to filter himself. It was their freaking King he was talking about. Plus the guys - and even Luna - were all very close with him. Gladio and Iggy basically his dad and mom. Or brothers. Or something. Luna was almost his wife - now just...well, best friend? Sister? Something?

Basically it was nice to be around someone who had no connection to homeboy.

At least he wasn't super late - a sigh of relief falling from his lips, before he squatted down to pet Hayate - gaze still up on Riza as she spoke.

"...Yeah, being around people is prob a good call right now," he admitted, his voice quieter than its typical bouncy self - Prompto pushing himself to his feet as she offered forward a bag with...holy shit.

"This is...really expensive stuff," he pulled out one of the bottles to examine it, "I uh...think. Still gettin' used to Pandora brands, t-b-h," he snorted, before popping open the bottle in hand and giving it a sniff - eyes watering a bit, "Holy fuck…" he laughed, "Yep, this'll cure my depression. And also peel paint off of walls. Got any glasses?"

The question was expected, but still sucked. The plastered on smile faltered as his gaze fell like a ton of bricks, as he puffed out his cheeks.

"I'm...doin'," what did that even mean, "I…" a pause, "Really, really want to shoot things. Let's just leave it there until you get me drunker."

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  5. Riza Hawkeye

Ark Chancellor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    With all of the options available to her- wailing in pain, exhaustion and depression, pure rage at the state of the universe- Riza was always glad that she had the training, self-control and presence of mind to choose numbness and listening. The other choices would come later, when there was nothing to do and no one waiting in line for her to take care of the responsibilities she'd agreed to. It wasn't the populace's fault that the world was unfair and unkind and they felt it as keenly as she did when the bad times turned on them. Like Prompto probably was, right at this moment. They both had a tough road ahead but being older, more hardened to the world and less pure of heart and soul- well, redemption came through suffering.

The younger figure seemed to be doing pretty well for what must be 'reeling from a heartbreak', or at least putting a good face on it. Talkative, if a little more somber than usual, she felt the very corner of her mouth quirk into a wry, tired grin once again as he petted Hayate. The dog was happy at least. Later on she was sure Hayate would be more worried, once they finally got home and the dam broke- if it did. Maybe by some miracle she'd accidentally die out here, or get taken away herself. I'm not sure this world really does the 'small mercies' thing. "It's good stuff. He only drank the best and was very fond of that brand in particular," she said in the sort of calm, reserved tone of someone passing on a bare fact. Roy knew a lot about scotch; she trusted his palate.

Best to keep it all academic until there were a few drinks downed though. That would lubricate the conversation nicely. So she nodded in agreement, bringing her bags over to a table that was by the shooting stand and set them down, withdrawing a few sets of goggles and some noise cancelling earmuffs which probably wouldn't get used. That done, she wordlessly pulled out the other bottle and popped it open, taking a long and comfortable drink of the booze, and letting it burn down her throat.

6. Prompto Argentum

Chocobro

Mailman
    Race:
    Human(ish)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    Oh. Oh damn.

This was her poofed-husband's booze.

Prompto watched her - eyes widening a bit as his jaw clenched. Riza hadn't said his name, just implied it.

But - as ever - she seemed calm, cool, and collected as hell. Man, he wanted to be on her level. But also like...got that people tended to shove emotions down. Her freakin' husband disappeared. There was no way in hell she was okay.

Neither of them were, t-b-h.

Riza unpacked her stuff - goggles, headphones, and yet another bottle of booze...which she drank right out of. Alrighty. Welp, time to join. He took a swig of the one already in his hand - genuinely surprised how smooth the shit was. Half the time he drank anything, it was followed by a chaser, or coughing, or coughing and a chaser. Yet this was like...a hug. A very strongly worded hug. Prompto glanced down at the label again, making a mental lil' note. He'd def be splurging on this stuff again.

Maybe for a celebration next time.

Hopefully.

"So stuff I have that you can totes shoot," he began - setting the bottle he was currently holding next to Riza's - before taking a step back so he could show it off, "Of course there's shabam my revolver," it appeared in his hands - pointed down-range of course, "Then," it disappeared - replaced by an assault rifle, "This thing. Gonna be honest, I don't know what it is since I grabbed it off a bad guy a billion years ago. But it fires fast. Not the most accurate thing, but soothing in a weird way," it poofed - replaced by a shotgun, "Self explanatory," then it was gone - grip shifting between guns, "Annnd we got this lovely lady right here," a sniper rifle in his arms, "Helluva kick, but I love her. And!" a genuine smile pulled at his lips, as he made a flourish of summoning the last weapon, "I call it...Healthy Coping Mechanism," it was a bazooka, "I figured we could end the night with it."

A shrug as the gun faded away - Prompto seizing the bottle again and taking a long-ish swig from it.
    Holy shit he was going to get drunk so fast off of this stuff.

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  7. Riza Hawkeye

Ark Chancellor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Riza remembered this drink very well. Roy drank it on hard days when the pressures of his office weren't outweighed by the good he was doing in it, or he'd be away for awhile for some negotiation, and those rare times when telling her of a victory hard-fought and hard-won, while he handed her a glass for herself, smiling all the while. It was a drink as warm as the fires in the fireplace, the dinner that would sit between them as they sat down to eat and talk, then play some music or dance. Warm as love itself. For a moment her eyes glazed over, but then then booze hit her stomach like the rock in her heart and it passed.

She was not about to cry before she had to shoot. She was better than that.

Glancing up as he walked over, she cocked her head and watched as he went through his weapons. Quite a variety, and summoned as easily as breathing- at least from what she could tell- but he remembered to be safe with weapons that seemed to be a literal part of him in some way and she appreciated and respected that. "That's quite an assortment. It seems like you're equipped for every situation- not that I have any idea how," she replied ruefully.

Well he'd shown his, she should show hers. Reaching under her coat she pulled out an early-model military pistol in flat black and an older revolver, heavy and chrome. From the holster at the back of her waistband, another flat black pistol. Lastly, from the large case, her bolt-action sniper rifle, well-used and impeccably kept. There was nothing anywhere near the grenade launcher he had, or the assault rifle- though she'd handled the latter before, and a shotgun too, courtesy of Havoc. "You're welcome to try mine, though I think they're just less glamorous copies of some of yours," she offered calmly, then looked back at him. "Would your weapons actually let me use them? I'm not a magic user."

8. Prompto Argentum

Chocobro

Mailman
    Race:
    Human(ish)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    It had been roughly twenty seconds (not really) and he was already feeling the warmth from the alcohol hitting his blood and tummy. Just sorta that sharp edge that sat next to his heart, getting a tiny bit less pointy. Sorta like taking a break from a pain he wasn't even aware of bothering him. Like pulling a rock out of his shoe or a hair out from his eye.

It...felt sorta surreal to show off all his weapons. Most of which he was used to getting back only with Noct's appearance. Without homeboy in Pandora or...back home, he couldn't summon. Armiger locked away, cuz he was out of reach.

Originally Prompto thought dead.
    He was wrong.
    ...For a bit.

"It's literally BS royal magic," he shrugged, before Riza showed off her gear. He kept his hands behind his back so he wouldn't touch despite wanting to. A quiet gasp on his lips from her assortment of goods. Gaze rising to meet hers as she offered to let him try her stuff - with a hint of uncertainty about if she could even touch his.

"What? Oh...I mean, yeah. You can use my shiz without issue. I'm technically not magical like...at all. Magic is reserved for Royal Peeps back home. Just...they can like...share their power? Like I can summon weapons because back home - and I guess here too - I'm Crownsguard. Aka - keep the dipshit from dying. Kinda awkward now since that's totally my ex," he snorted, shaking his head - tone light, but it didn't touch his eyes, "The power is like having a magical bag next to you at all times," he explained, "Like…" he paused as a mystery bottle appeared in his hand.

Noct was still trying to figure out how to infuse drinks with magic and make them actually heal. So...bit of a crapshoot with that.

He let the bottle fade.

"Kinda cool," he shrugged, "But I mean…if you're offering I'd love to put my hands on that sniper rifle of yours. I'm sure you've got like...way more experience. First time I actually touched one was during my super-dark backstory sidequest," he smiled, despite his words, "Sorta found one and had to make use of it to avoid getting ripped apart. You know - normally every day violence."

He took another drink.

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  9. Riza Hawkeye

Ark Chancellor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    The more Prompto said about his weapons the more she started to see between the cracks a little, gazing into the complicated center of his current situation. There was a lot going on there. Evidently there was the possibility of magic in his world, but it went by bloodline- which seemed unfair, but the world was often unfair. The more bittersweet part was that it seemed he'd been gifted this by a person who now seemed to bring up some pain with the pure necessity of self-defense- and the defense of others. Bodyguard to someone who he had gotten personally involved with, that wasn't easy either.

She knew that from personal experience.

"Yes, I can imagine that makes things more complicated. And glad to see that you can still do it, and any emotional fallout isn't preventing you from defending yourself," she answered honestly, maybe a little bluntly, but still with a kind of sincerity that might have softened the words. "I'm a soldier on my world- a sniper in a bitter conflict, while Roy was a lauded alchemist with a vision of a better world that I wanted to follow. Afterward I was taken on as his assistant, and to watch his back. So I may not understand entirely, but I do know that when I shoot, I remember. Reclamation is important."

It wasn't common for her to say so much. Maybe it was the alcohol, though one drink was far from extreme for her. Or maybe it was that sense of common pain, which made people's bonds strengthen whether they wanted to, or meant to. A quiet sigh left her and she shook her head. "Sorry, I know it's not my situation, and it's probably none of my business. You're welcome to use the sniper rifle. It's very used to Standard Violence, and bad days," she admitted with a wry smile, then took another drink and swallowed before continuing. "I had it in the Ishvalan Conflict. In return, I would be quite interested in trying out your shotgun. Imprecision is very theraputic."

Nothing like watching the world burst into splinters when you feel like you've been ripped to similar shreds. Common pain at work again.

10. Prompto Argentum

Chocobro

Mailman
    Race:
    Human(ish)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    Holy shit they were both basically the bodyguards of their former significant others. Okay - for Prompto it was a loose term. Still the similarities between them was...both sad and kind of calming. Different flavors of the same thing. Funny since they were both blond and liked guns, too.

Secret sibs.

"I-I guess I'm kind of a soldier now too," something very distant in his eye as he spoke the words, "Honestly, wasn't...always. Or even Crownsguard. Though that makes sense, I mean. Cuz like...wasn't like I was literally born with a gun in my hand. I was friends with Noct first. Like he was literally the Prince who just went to the same school as me. I sort of followed him around from a distance and finally became his friend when we were teens. Man, I sound like a creeper. Guess I sorta was. My other friends - Gladio and Iggy. They were literally born to serve Noct. Like...Gladio's dad was the King's shield. I was just some pleb who influenced Noct to do normal teenage things," his gaze fell as a quiet smile pulled at his lips.

Why did it hurt so much to talk about? Noct was still here. They still split a room. They were still friends. Hopefully.

"I...actually only became Crownsguard cuz Noct was getting married and he wanted me to come along. They couldn't have someone without training by the Prince so uh...yeah. That's why I know guns. Then that trip went to shit, the world ended, and now I'm a soldier, I guess. Fighting became not just a way to make money like during the trip but like...survival."

And Noct never felt that. He never went through any of that.
    And that's why they didn't work.

Prompto cleared his throat.

Smiling, he pulled the shotgun back out of the Armiger, and offered it forward, "Sounds like a deal to me. Sniper stuff is just...soothing in a weird way," he wiggled his fingers as he stared down at her sniper rifle, "You can't really do anything else other than concentrate on it. Like more so than any other gun I've handled. There's just so many bits and pieces to keeping steady."

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  11. Riza Hawkeye

Ark Chancellor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Taking the shotgun, the smallest and most wry of smiles in one corner of her mouth, she slid the rifle across the table to Prompto before inspecting the loaner she was going to use. It was a magic gun, and in all likelihood the chances of it needing cleaning or calibration was as small as that of her going to the Dark Side, but it was habit. In times like this, habits were good, grounding things that kept the facts about the world in a nice, straight line. So she looked for how to break it down if necessary, examined the barrel and the stock, held it in her hand and looked down the range, using the sights to see how it lined up. It was a good gun. She turned back toward Prompto, gun at her side again, and nodded in approval.

The silence had drawn on for a minute or so, so she took a drink and considered the topic before continuing. "My father hated the military and refused to have anything to do with them, even if working for the State would have given him a comfortable lifestyle and more materials for his research. He even disavowed Roy when he joined and stopped teaching him. If I'd known why he reacted that strongly, perhaps my life might have taken a different turn," she explained. It was a vague statement, perhaps, but she didn't want to make this about her past too much. And she was terrible at soliloquies.

He was right about the focus required to shoot at long range though. Maybe that was why she managed to do it for so long, even in so many terrible conditions. Remembering the face of everyone you killed, that was a part of it, but not when you were lining up the necessary shot. No, that came later, in dreams. "It is calming," she acceded. "The breathing, focusing on steady hands, watching the wind, accounting for how the target might move. Enforced patience, mandatory numbness." But when you got good enough, thoughts could sneak in. She didn't tell him that; it would take the fun out of it. Instead she just looked for how to load the shotgun, and quirked a brow at her companion when she came up short.

12. Prompto Argentum

Chocobro

Mailman
    Race:
    Human(ish)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    It was nice to just...babble about life. Alcohol warming his features a bit already, since he was - as the cool kids call - a fucking lightweight. Prompto nodded quietly as Riza explained her own situation. Dude...why was everything just gently fucked for both of them?

And...Pandora continuing to shaft them.

Just...frustrating honestly. Like no matter what Pandora did at this point, it could never even touch the shit he had gone through. But honestly - he just wanted, no needed stability. Needed things to go smoothy. Prompto had been through enough wild shiz in his life that he was just kinda...done, honestly. There was always that draw to explore, draw to keep running around with his gun and camera to relive the glory days. But...most of all he just wanted a warm bed, and things to just not explode. Back home they couldn't even really grow food normally anymore, cuz there was no sun. You couldn't leave the compounds without risk of death since daemons were everywhere. Any shred of normalcy back home was gone.

But here? Here he could have that. Here he could be happy.

So...why was he having such a hard time smiling?

"What's funny is that like...way way way back when, my friends would laugh at the idea of me doing anything that required patience," he admitted - noticing the raised brow in his general direction.

Right, right - all guns were weird.

Wiggling his fingers, he snagged the shotgun back from her - opening a weird part in the side with a flip of his thumb, "Sorry, forgot like...all guns are different from the cabillions of Universes that seem to exist," he shrugged, loading it up, before handing it forward again - before turning his attention to her sniper rifle.

He pulled it into his hands - studying it, before glancing up at Riza, "Mind if I do pew pew things now?"

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  13. Riza Hawkeye

Ark Chancellor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    "They say 'patience is a virtue'. It's not; virtues are easy and inherent. Patience was always training for me," she mused quietly to herself, looking down at the bottle of alcohol for a brief moment, eyes flat as the surface of her tongue felt numb in a familiar, alcohol-induced fashion. She'd learned patience before Pandora, mostly by having no choice but to wait for the right moments. For the time to revolt, or to take the shot and save a life. Waiting for things to be better. Patience and waiting until the world changed and the lingering things between her and Roy were different. And finally, waiting just in case that day came when watching his back took its darkest turn.

But skills were worse than virtues in that they could wear out. She had gotten used to spurts of patience and then things being accomplished. The waiting ended when the task did. Time to get that tolerance back. A half-shake of her head, to set the thoughts aside. Reaching out, she handed the shotgun to him as soon as she noticed his gesture- which was about half a second behind, but fortunately not more than that. She was still shooting, and best not to get too wasted with a new gun.

As he went over things she watched intently, taking stock of what he was teaching her, and took the shotgun back and started to load it with a professional level of concentration once he was done.

He wanted to shoot now, and remembered the goal. She was grateful for that, glancing up and giving him a nod while she closed the chamber on the shotgun and put a few more rounds into her pocket, then gave him a nod. "Yes, of course, feel free," she said after a moment, gesturing down the range. "There's a few smaller targets out at the 200 yard mark, and then every hundred after that." Shifting the shotgun to her side, since she didn't have a strap for it, she pointed it down at the ground and waited to watch him shoot before she took her chance.

14. Prompto Argentum

Chocobro

Mailman
    Race:
    Human(ish)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Yeah I'm def not a patient person naturally," he admitted with a shrug, "I-I'm sorta hyper, I guess. But being thrown into like...crazy dangerous shit and the only way out is to hide with a big-ass gun with a big ass scope? Time to learn to chill. Like the whole reason I got into guns was because I freaked out when too close to the danger-zone, yanno?" he shrugged, "So being able to be even further away was like...awesome. And I just sorta learned to take a deep breath, I guess."

He really was pretty changed from when the road-trip first started, huh?
    Prompto still wasn't sure if that was a good thing or bad.

At being given the go, Prompto ran his hand over her sniper rifle one more time, before settling in - seeking out that target that was apparently down there. After finding it, he lined up the shot and put his finger on the trigger - slowly adding pressure as he released a deep breath to keep his hand steady. The gun bucked against him in that way that big guns did. It felt good. The shot...honestly pretty damned accurate - especially for his first time firing it. He actually laughed - proud of himself.

Felt good to actually be freaking good at something.

"Lemme have one more," he lined up another shot - following the same steps, before letting it fly. More accurate than the first - actually in the red that time. Nodding, he glanced over at Riza.

"I want to enter a romantic relationship with your sniper rifle."

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  15. Riza Hawkeye

Ark Chancellor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Rather than shooting at the same time, which seemed like it would be both cacophonous and possibly distracting, Riza watched Prompto set up to shoot her rifle. She had no kind of sentimental attachment to the machine save that it was familiar and reliable, a trusted tool. Unless Prompto did something absolutely unthinkable- which seemed absolutely unlikely, even if he was drinking- that gun would do him right. Even if it was older, mundane, lower tech than some of the rifles she'd seen since arriving here, it was steady and good. A rifle for someone who liked to shoot, and had to do so effectively.

The shots went off cleanly and while she didn't have a set of binoculars with her to see the targets with absolute clarity she had keen eyes and could make it out, just barely. They did hit the targets, that she was sure of, and from Prompto's response, the first one was good and the second even better. It seemed to have centered him too. And it was fine to be proud of a well shot bullseye- so long as it wasn't a living target you were hitting. That was impossible. These days she just made sure she stayed on track, that her skills weren't fading. It was nice to see someone take passion in it, even if it was with a smile and not crowing his victory. That impressed her more.

A faint smile curled at the corner of her mouth, now a little drier, so she sipped from her bottle before setting it back down. "Well, that's absolutely up to you. But I think you should know she's taken a few hearts before," she replied, dryly jesting note in her voice. "But I can't say that you have bad taste, or that you did poorly by her. You're a handy shot. Now." She looked down at the gun she held, then gestured with the empty hand toward another shooting booth. "If you don't mind, I think I'll take my turn?"

16. Prompto Argentum

Chocobro

Mailman
    Race:
    Human(ish)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    "I genuinely can't tell if that's the darkest joke of the day, or if you're serious," he laughed, carefully setting the rifle down - giving it a faint pat as he did.

Prompto always noticed that there was a strange sort of chemistry that happened between people and their guns. It was possible to be a good shot, and not get along with a certain gun. It just...happened. Wasn't even a matter of learning or comfort; guns had personalities, in a way. And sometimes they clashed. But this one was mellow, and it was a needed force in his life a-t-m.

"Aw, thanks."

He made a hand motion at the range before them, "Go for it, my dude. Blast away."

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  17. Riza Hawkeye

Ark Chancellor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    There was a certain bemused impassiveness in her expression as he wondered aloud whether or not she was joking, a curl in the corner of her mouth and a brow quirking up. After all, with a question like that, it really depended on how you meant it, didn't it? "Why not both?" she finally said, the familiar but dry amusement she tended toward thick in her voice. It was hard to joke sometimes, as though she was betraying some pain. It was senseless. Life went on.

Hopefully that hadn't lowered Prompto's opinion of the gun too much.

Hayate had wandered away while the shooting went on, digging himself a small divot to rest in while the humans went about their business, his chin resting on his paws and eyes open to watch everything. Well, and just in case he was going to be gestured at for patpats or a treat. Meanwhile, Riza was walking toward some of the more closely placed targets, stepping up to the line and being sure the gun was pointed down-range before she even loaded it, much less lifted it to her shoulder.

It had been a long time since she fired something with quite that much kick and it was long-unused training and a last-ditch instinct that kept her on her feet. It meant that the shot wasn't quite as true as she may have preferred, but she shot again, expression impassive except for a deep furrow in her brow. Two large holes appeared in the paper target, obliterating where the heart might have been.

18. Prompto Argentum

Chocobro

Mailman
    Race:
    Human(ish)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    Prompto quietly laughed at her why not both response. That felt like something he'd say, honestly. They officially had been talking too much. Also low key meant she had straight-up murdered people. Probably a dark and dramatic reveal for most but...uh, Prompto had too. Most of the time they were wearing their helmets so the soldiers didn't seem like people - but there were def people under there. The first time it had ever happened was when Insomnia fell. They rushed to the edge of the city, and had to straight-up fight the Empire. It wasn't just those...MTs, but actual soldiers. Guys in outfits, just on the wrong side. Nobody else really seemed bothered by it, but Prompto? Yeah, he did not sleep at all that night. The whole 'killing' thing on top of losing his adoptive parents, and a buuuunch of other death, sorta ruined everything for awhile.

But he got it.
    Sometimes people were just on the wrong side of things.
    And it was either you, or them.

Prompto stayed quiet as she fired off his gun; watching as she did about what he did. First shot wasn't fantastic, but honed it in the second time around.

"So...what'd'ya think? Going to have adult relations with my gun?"

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  19. Riza Hawkeye

Ark Chancellor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    There was an moment that hung in the air, as though she'd embittered someone who was normally lighter by nature- but had she really? It stung, but with the life he'd lived, the way he'd understood the context there, it wasn't a blame she could take credit for outside of that laugh of reluctant kinship. She returned it with a slight nod of her head. I see. It's a shame you know it too.

But it passed and good thing, because with alcohol she might have actually tried to say too much in a way very typical for tipsy-her and that might have just made things darker and more depressing than they already were. As though the end of two relationships wasn't dark enough, she thought to herself as she shook her head and made sure her fingers were away from the trigger as she held the shotgun at her side, pointed down toward the ground just in case. Better to talk about guns until it was unavoidable.

Roy would have been better at broaching the subject. She missed him.

"She's a good shot but I don't think my rifle would appreciate the unfaithfulness if it went that far," she joked back. "But it was a fun fling. Sometimes, after a long time of making sure things are held together, it's nice to see something get broken on purpose instead of on accident and this was the perfect tool for the job. Thank you for that."

20. Prompto Argentum

Chocobro

Mailman
    Race:
    Human(ish)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link
    Prompto was deadass glad that they slipped by that potentially really-really dark convo and moved onto gun-banging. Sounded weird, but honestly he'd prefer weird dirty jokes over the fact that they both had taken human lives. That...was not something he really wanted to talk about when both depressed as shit from the breakup, and with alcohol in his system. Homeboy had already had a straight up breakdown on Gladio. Not exactly his proudest moment, but honestly?

It sucked.
    Everything sucked.

Would he get through it?
    Yeah, of course he would.
    Prompto had literally survived worse a thousand times over. He just...was tired of having to. Tired of things having to be a fight or having to push through shiz when he just...really wanted things to be calm and happy. Which was technically the very core of what went wrong between he and Noct. The Prince of Restlessness couldn't hold still and kept seeking danger, when Prompto honestly just wanted to cuddle and play video games.

So that sucked.

Prompto smiled at her words - nodding along.

"Yeah...kinda like taking control when everything else is being set on fire on its own," his voice a bit far away as he shrugged, "And...no problem Riza. And thank you for helping distract me from the cray-cray BS that is my life right now," he made a sad laugh as he scratched his neck, and sighed.

Riza Hawkeye likes this.