By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

That heavy weight in my pocket

Discussion in 'Pandora, Year 1 - 7' started by Roy Mustang, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Roy Mustang

Roy Mustang Fullmetal Alchemist

Race:
    Human
    March 10th, Year 7
    Tags- @Riza Hawkeye

He had not known what exactly he was planning, but ever since he had come back from Pandora Town he had felt on edge, terrified of being caught before he could spring his surprise upon Riza. But that morning he had woken up knowing what he was going to do and set about making it happen while at the same time pretending to be doing work so as not to arise suspicion. It had meant trusting others to set it up, but he believed in his subordinates to not let him down when he needed them most and as the lunch hour slowly ticked closer he moved into position feeling the weight that was not there in his pocket weighing him down.

Idly he reached into his coat pocket and felt the familiar form of a ring box hidden beneath his gloves, so with a tiny smile he rose up from his desk. Smoothing his face into its usual, unreadable, stoic expression he moved towards Riza's office where he knew she would have the rest of the day clear because he had made it so. All she had now was a climb up the mountain with him where they would 'reassess the area' as if he had plans to build something up there and so he knocked on her door saying"Riza, are you ready? My people said they informed you of the temple assessment that we're going to make... I'd like to set out now, that way when we get to the top we can have the lunch I made them pack..."

I
    dly he waved the small packs he had lifted off his desk which held the cheese sandwiches he's made his staff make to make the lies appear true, then he was leaning against the door frame waiting with his obnoxious, impatient mask in place as he went on"Someday we're going to have to teach these people there are more ingredients than cheese that can go in a sandwich..."

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  2. Riza Hawkeye

Riza Hawkeye Fullmetal Alchemist

Soldier
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Riza was the kind of person who set up her schedule at least a week in advance when she could, so coming in to find out things were moved around and rescheduled made her both bemused and annoyed. Obviously it would have taken one of the other members of the council to do that, and two popped to mind immediately. The question was, why was it being done at all? Evidently for another survey of the temple at the top of the mountain, which she'd seen before- but this early in spring it was likely to be a tough trip, so why take that chance now? She could have pondered on it longer, looked for clues- but there was still morning work to do, and since it seemed like she had the afternoon free it would be answered soon enough. It wasn't as though she didn't have the patience to wait a few hours; that would have made her a pretty poor sniper indeed.

The paperwork was all getting sorted and properly filed into its place when the knock came at her door, with Roy's voice cutting through the space. It was wonderful to hear him and know they'd be spending the afternoon together. True, it was entirely a work outing so far as she knew, but that didn't mean it wasn't wonderful to be in his company, especially since they had less time for long walks these days, and the vacation in Cascade Bay was weeks behind them, with more tense moments in the meantime. The chance to reconnect on a hike, winter giving way to spring, sounded as good as any other vacation she could imagine. Small moments like this, simple things, but perfect because it was the two of them.

"I'm ready, just let me get my coat," she called back, walking over to her chair and taking her jacket off of the back, then went to the door and opened it. He looked impatient, annoyed at the lunch he'd managed to secure, and she raised a brow at it. He was so particular sometimes; it was almost as though he couldn't remember having to eat worse. "If you want to use up more daylight we can stop by the apartment and make up something different," she offered calmly, sliding on her coat and giving him a small smile and a warm look. "It would give me a chance to make some coffee anyway, and it's going to be a cold walk."

Roy Mustang likes this.
  3. Roy Mustang

Race:
    Human
    At her words he felt his heart start to thud nervously against his chest as she responded to his words about the food, but he made sure to keep the sudden nervousness that his plan was already falling apart from his face. Clearly he had played the role of being annoyed at their sandwiches to well and so now he knew he had to play the next part well too. So calmly he eyed her a moment as if considering her words as a possibility before responding"No, we'd better not. We can't waste this daylight, come on." He reached to take her hand in one of his idly pulling her to him and offering her a wicked smile before continuing"When we get back though we should make some kind of delightful meal together to make up for the cheese sandwiches we get to eat once we reach the summit.."

He did not let go of her hand for a second as he led her through the empty corridors, until they got into the busier caverns where he released her hand so they could appear professional before their people and yet he hoped that if she said yes he'd be able to forget this rule they'd set for themselves, so they could walk hand in hand among the people they led. Not forgetting her request for a hot pot of coffee he made sure they stopped briefly at a coffee vendor where he brought her the biggest pot of coffee he could and then they continued on their way. They reached the highest exit of Morhall not long following the buying of her coffee and he took her free hand again, not caring if anyone saw at this point, before stepping out into the land painted white with snow although the snow was not as deep as it had been now that spring was on its way.

With his hand in hers he felt as if he could not feel the could that hang in the air despite the bright sunshine that shone down on them and then they began to hike. Roy was happy in Riza's quiet company and for the moment he could forget what lay ahead, for the moment it was just the two of them against the world again, hiking in the wilderness and his face eased into a relax almost contented smile before finally he spoke"This is bringing back memories... Us in the wilderness like this... Though there was no chance for hand holding back then." He briefly went quiet before adding thoughtfully"The hand holding makes hiking in the wilderness ten times better though... I prefer it this way."

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  4. Riza Hawkeye

Soldier
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    For a moment she could have almost sworn he was tense and her brow prepared to furrow, words of wary concern coming to her lips- but then he was brushing through it, and seemingly at ease again, and she let it lie. He'd been working very hard and under a lot of stress lately; maybe he was getting back into the habit of not worrying about everything under the sun. If that was the case Riza wasn't about to turn his thoughts back to it, not when he deserved the chance to have a restful mind for a change. She was glad she had too, when he took her hand and promised a better meal afterward, and she returned his smile with a glint of returned mischievousness and warm affection. "I suppose, with a promise like that, I can manage on cheese sandwiches again," she agreed with faux reluctance, giving him a smile.

They'd stopped to get coffee, which she very much appreciated, and when they were back in the private tunnels and hand in hand once again Hawkeye already felt most of the day's work thoughts drifting away. They were never totally gone, but at least now she could think about what was to come. Hayate had met them on the way and now ran ahead slightly as they exited the cave, sniffing here and there for curiosity's sake, giving the pair a doggy grin and then continuing on, keeping them in sight but not hovering. It was a soothing scene, even with all of the perils that always came with being outside on the mountain. Today, though, she could forgive it. Everything had risks, but at least it was also beautiful, and she had the best company on any world close by.

Roy seemed to be thinking the same, and she nodded in agreement and squeezed his hand gently as they went along, fingers entwined. No, there hadn't been the chance for this back then, and she'd convinced herself in those times that it was beneath her attention to notice, much less want that. A world needed saving, he had other hands to hold, and she had her pistols and rifle and a dog to hug, the latter of which she was sure that some would say she never deserved, given her actions in the war. But she had it now, and she'd fight for it to the death if she had to, because going back to that was unthinkable. "Some memories need to be replaced with better ones," she replied with a smile, though her tone turned jesting soon after. "I prefer this too. If you trip, I can catch you before you topple on Hayate." Not that he was so graceless, but this was rocky, uneven ground- and therein lay the humor, for her anyway.

Roy Mustang likes this.
  5. Roy Mustang

Race:
    Human
    The walk was turning into a spectacle all by itself and he was pleased to see Riza was seeming to enjoy it just as much as he was. She looked so at peace, it could almost be a walk in a snow covered park with the dog rather than a hike up the mountain and Roy could feel the love for her, for this moment only growing stronger with each step. Her response to his words was spoken with one of those true smiles that she reserved only for when she was truly happy and Roy swore he was going to produce that smile from her as often as he could for Riza deserved to smile more. As guilty as she felt for all she'd done before she was a woman who deserved to live a long and happy life, which was something Roy intended to get for her.

But then her eyes gained a sparkling mischievous light to them as she teased him, the warmth in his chest did not diminish at the teasing but it felt like it burned brighter and yet he responded playfully back with mock offence"The only way I'd trip was if you pushed me or if the beast ahead decided to walk under my feet as he does in the morning..." Then turning his gaze to fix on the dog he asked the heavens"Who gave my partner a dog whose only wish in the morning is to see me fall on my face?" Then he was returning his gaze ahead of them drawing in a breath, his smile softening before a moment later he was glancing towards Riza.

Quite suddenly he was pulling her closer to him, planting a kiss on her cheek before saying"It's almost tempting to stop the hike completely and just hang out here like a pair of in-love teenagers because Riza, this is a new memory we're making and I don't know about you but I wish to treasure these small moments..." He gave her hand a squeeze before sighing as he went on"But we have a job to do, so the opportunity for these moments is diminished but at least they are still occurring right?" Even as he spoke those words he was raising the pace just a little though he kept his hand firmly entwined with hers and he did not intend to let it go for anything.

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  6. Riza Hawkeye

Soldier
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    "You're the one who taught him to be playful instead of watchful, Roy. I'm not sure what you expected," she replied back, her voice all stoic calm but her eyes flashing with humor at their line of conversation. Had this always been their flirting, or had there been a moment when it had only been friendly banter, office talk between two war-forged friends? Surely it must have been, for most of their time working together in fact, but she couldn't remember it now. Already the fresh, bright memories of them being- well, them- washed away the older, washed-out and darkened ones. Riza doubted she'd ever miss it.

He drew her closer and she shifted to move closer to, letting him kiss her cheek and flushing at it, watching him through brown eyes. It was a tempting thought, trying to go backward in time to a point where 'lovestruck teen' might have fit them- at least in intention and feeling, if not in fact. But would it be so different than this anyway? Her heart said no. She'd never had love as a teen, but she couldn't imagine anything being more potent or sweet or caring than this. But it was still tempting anyway, because Mustang could make almost anything sound reasonable, doable and lovely.

There was a point to be made at the end, and she quickly kissed his cheek and nodded in agreement as they started up the path, hurrying slightly on their way. He was in a rush today, wasn't he- and for a random, work-related hike too. In all these years she'd never really seen him be hugely keen about exercise, or the outdoors- but then, he'd been inside the mountain for some time. Maybe he was just eager to get into the fresh air. Still, something seemed odd, and she raised a brow at him in amusement once more. "If you want to speed things up, we could always race to the top," she told him in amusement, actually unbothered by the pace.

Roy Mustang likes this.
  7. Roy Mustang

Race:
    Human
    He was always a little flattered when she flushed at his actions because it meant he had done something she was not expecting and when they had been around each other so long it was hard to surprise her these days. But when she nodded in agreement to his words and planted a kiss of her own on his cheeks his dark, brown gaze gained a fiery happiness to it and his face went back to that soft, contented smile as he continued to guide her up the path. He almost wanted to swing his arm around her shoulders and walk with her pressed into his side but knew that would led to a walk at an amble which would lead to them never making it to the top in a reasonable amount of time. But as he raised their pace he did not know he had raised her suspicions slightly as she viewed his behaviour as odd and then her voice sounded out, causing him to look round at her with a raised eyebrow.

Before a look of bemusement crossed over his face as he spoke"And risk loosing my hold on this warm hand that serves as my anchor? I don't think so!" He squeezed the mentioned hand that he had in his before saying"On the other hand, it has been a long time since I have been able to just let loose and have some fun, so perhaps I should take you up on that race Miss Hawkeye except I know that with your sniper talents you would likely slip over the land like air... Making no sound as you swiftly run to victory..." He eyed Riza as he walked, keeping the pace as before fast but not uncomfortably so as he went on"So perhaps we should just keep at this pace so I can keep my dignity and so that we can get back to our promised dinner before it gets dark."

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  8. Riza Hawkeye

Soldier
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    She didn't really want to let go of his hand either and any excuse to stay this close was nice. Maybe if this went well she could convince him to make this a weekly routine, since daily might be a bit much, especially with all of the demands on his time. But even that often would be nice- the fresh air, the exercise, seeing the landscape and having quiet time to themselves with the mountain, quite literally, unable to bother them for a few hours... Not a conventional 'date night', maybe, and she was fond of those too, but this seemed so right. It was what they were working so hard in Morhall for.

"There is a point to be made there. It's generally a bad idea to leave your partner to topple down a mountain when you could have prevented it," she agreed, a hint of a smirk at the corner of her mouth. After all, he was right in thinking she at least had a fair chance to leave him in her dust. Not as dramatically as he might have insinuated, but she was no slouch either- and neither was he. That was why a race from time to time could be fun; they were just so well-matched. "Agreed on the dinner. Let's keep up this pace, Mustang. No falling behind."

Hayate ran across the path a little further up, chasing a squirrel and giving short, unalarmed barks as he did so, and Riza shook her head and smile, then glanced at Mustang. "How was your morning? You already know how mine was."

Roy Mustang likes this.
  9. Roy Mustang

Race:
    Human
    The smirk on the edge of her mouth was clearly visible to him and he quirked an eyebrow at the words which came with it as he responded with an undignified snort of amusement. He would have to get her back for that playful comment, for now he claimed the power by not dignifying it with more of a response than he'd already given. But then her next comment reached his ears and he found himself responding"Hey, I'm supposed to say that to you... Since right now I am ahead.. Besides I never fall behind." His voice held mock offence to it, but his dark eyes glittered with amusement and then he was distracted by Hayate haring ahead as he chased a squirrel. Mustang watched the dog as he did so, moving swiftly up the slope and making sure to stay just that little ahead of Hawkeye even as he held her hand, a playful light in his dark, brown eyes.

They were making good time and now he could see Hayate barking up a tree that the squirrel must have escaped up, a small smirk graced his face once again but he was distracted from watching the beast as Riza spoke to him once again. His gaze went from dog to the woman he loved, going from amusement to a soft, gentle happiness that he only reserved for her as he responded"Nothing that interesting happened this morning, I spent most of it in the office or going to hassle Hughes on some document or other... Though I at least managed to take a break for coffee so as to not need that drink in your free hand now." His voice was light and he tried to keep the stories he told to the truth as much as possible so as not to have to lie.

So though he withheld truths about the set up for what lay ahead he did not outright lie about anything to her and then as they pulled above the trees he paused to admire the view saying"It truly is like being on top of the world and we're not even at the top yet.. Close though..." Then an idea popped into his head, it wasn't a great idea, it was also childish almost unlike the persona he put forward but then Riza brought out his fun side and besides it would be entertaining to see what happened. So swiftly he turned round and pulled Riza closer to him again, reaching for her face he caught her lips in a kiss. his hand which had been on her hand now gliding up her arm. But then he was breaking the kiss and in one swift movement was attempting to sweep her off her feet, into a bridal carry a wicked glint in his dark, brown eyes.

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  10. Riza Hawkeye

Soldier
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Oh, so now he wanted to be competitive? Not that Hawkeye minded, and she alternated between hurrying a little to try and get ahead of him and slowing down on purpose to see if it lagged him back- not really trying to delay the trip, but having fun with it. In her estimation they were breaking about even, which wasn't bad on a mountain hike. The paths weren't smooth or clear by any means, there were still times when the footing wasn't as nice as it could be, but they were making it. She couldn't even feel the chill in the air anymore.

When Hayate started barking she gave him a look, but didn't speak up to stop him at the moment. If he stayed distracted and didn't follow she'd call him, but the squirrels likely needed some activity themselves, and the dog had been very well-behaved during the more pent-up times in Morhall. The exercise wouldn't hurt him at all. So she turned her attention back to Roy and smiled. "It doesn't matter if it was exciting, we all know how work goes. I like hearing you talk about it anyway," she told him sincerely, love in her voice.

She was forestalled from saying any more by him pulling him close and kissing her, and another flush came to her cheeks as a sound of pleased surprised left her lips before she was kissing him back. Leaning up on her toes and against him, she wrapped her arms around the back of his neck. This was wonderful, and she could have done this forever- but then the world lurched as she was lifted. "Hey..wha?!" she managed in a surprised squeak, the flush not even fading when she rested in his arms, and she met his eyes with a sort of dazed, confused but not displeased shock, a smile on her face. She trusted him not to drop her, even on this footing. "Is this how you think you're going to win?" she asked him softly, the teasing note still there even as she kissed his cheek. "Because I'm not objecting."

Roy Mustang likes this.
  11. Roy Mustang

Race:
    Human
    He was always pleased by the fact the smallest things seemed to please Riza, like hearing about his day, she was not really interested in some grand gesture even though he was going to make one at the top of the mountain and so he had responded with a smile before he had kissed her. He enjoyed the feel of her lips against his, they had fit together perfectly, he had almost been sad to break the kiss with his little trick but her surprised squeak, the startled expression on her flushed face made it all worth while as he held her in his arms.

He grinned wickedly down at her, amused but still finding himself taking in her beauty, for in that moment she did look startlingly beautiful and he found himself having to resist the urge to kiss her again as he started walking up the mountain with her in his arms. Her words made his wicked grin widen as he spoke teasingly in response"Well, I need to take every opportunity I can get if I want to win right?"Somehow in that moment to him he was not struggling, in that moment he never wanted to put her down again and he was able to pick his pace. He kept up his game by making sure not to offer an opportunity to escape his hold and would occasionally pretend like he was considering dropping her in some of the deep snow, a wicked sparkle in his eyes even as he kept a poker face in those moments.

But as the slope became steeper the effort became harder, his pace slowed and yet he still smiling, for having her in his arms like this, she was so close, so warm, it was almost like the nights they spent together in bed, where he got to hold her so close, where they got to become one. But now he could see the ruins, they were close and so gently he put her down, ignoring his reluctance to let her go even as he felt a nervousness begin to creep towards his heart. Even as he released Riza from his arms, he took her hand, Guiding her up the final few feet of the slope to stand before the ruins, idly he stood there eyeing them while saying"Ruins are fascinating, they always tell a story of those who came before.. I sometimes wonder what ruins will be left behind for people to find out about us?"

A soft smile played out across his lips, then glancing towards Riza he went on"Come on, I want to see what I can figure out of the story of this place before we eat..." Squeezing her hand he began guiding her towards the ruins, trying to ignore the nervous pounding of his heart. For this was it, a few steps further and they'd be entering the temple and then he'd be leading her into the room set up with candles waiting for him to light them, a romantic feast laid out for them, a ladder to the roof which he'd gotten Ed to make sure would not collapse if they sat up there to watch the sunset. But even with all those romantic plans, he was terrified she might say no and could feel the ring weighing heavily in his pocket.

He made sure to keep the tension out of his body as he entered the entrance way of the rooms, large, open, grand and he made sure to pause to examine the carvings in the wall. Before he led them further in, through an ante-chamber into the main chamber of the old temple which was fairly dark and was currently not well lit other than a few holes where the roof had collapsed long ago. Unlike Riza he'd had the room laid out in a specific was, just out of sight in the darkness was the feast, there near the door was a wireless stereo he'd got his hands on and if he stood beside it and snapped he knew the angle he would need to take to light all the candles.

He allowed Riza to wander further into the room, pausing by the door as if to take in the rooms vast size but then he was speaking, his voice echoing across to Riza"I want to show you something..." His heart was racing now as he raised a gloved hand and snapped, flames burst in a slow swirling spiral shape as if dancing as the candles in the room came alight. They went floor to ceiling, flickering softly, as clockwise the whole room came awash with light, there were stained glass decorations hanging near each candle, sending coloured light across the floor.

Even as this was happening Roy was reaching behind him, flicking the switch on the stereo, a soft, melody emerged quietly from its speakers, A piece of music which Roy knew was Riza's favourite musical piece and slowly he moved forwards to join her, offering a hand to suggest he wanted to dance even as he grinned at her saying"Surprise!"

Riza Hawkeye likes this.
  12. Riza Hawkeye

Soldier
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    She could have protested that he could win if he just let her down, because slips on the mountain were just so common and he could get hurt using his legs for both of them- but it was comfortable here, and safe and cozy, and she didn't really want to leave it. Her arms stayed loosely wrapped around his neck and she kept her head lightly against his chest, careful not to shift around and throw off his balance. The romance of the entire scene would likely dim if they tumbled over a boulder or slid on some shale and broke bones. "Just make sure you concentrate on that winning pace," she joked with a warm smile, eyes crinkling at the corners in humor, not a single hint of hesitation in her expression.

A little while later he was setting her down and taking her hand, which she squeezed gently as she walked with him up the steepest part to the temple. It was a nice final destination for a long hike- cool inside, comfortably ancient, a reminder that the world went on despite what people might think of that very idea. Roy seemed to feel the same and she loved him all the more for it as he spoke those words. "The promise that time goes on is contained in the things we can't manage to ruin," she agreed quietly, squeezing his hand gently once again and stepping closer to slide her other hand into the crook of his arm. He seemed nervous as they walked in; why, she had no idea, but she wanted to soothe it from him. "There's quite a few carvings. I'm sure you can puzzle through them."

She somehow managed to make it through the darkened passageway first and on reflex she reached for her flashlight, then turned toward Roy as he began to talk. Then that signature spark flashed across the room, candles catching flame and then refracting colored lights across the room as she looked on in shocked amazement. There was so much different here, darkness converted into romantic candlelight and soft music. "Yes, it's definitely something," she breathed in amazement, then glanced at him with a wry smile as he offered his hand so gallantly and took it in her fingers, stepping closer to put a hand on his shoulder, the most common dancing position, and then leaning up to press a quick kiss against his lips. "And a surprise too. This must have taken you all night. Or did you hire gremlins?" Something told her it might have been the rare Amestrian gremlin, either the stabby or alchemical kind.