HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. AUTUMN LOCATION: HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA
    There's a new creepy castle in Silverwood! Check out the details HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. AUTUMN EVENT: EVERYONE'S FAULT
    Mild to moderate earthquakes are rocking Pandora! Find out more HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Open The First Chapter in the Book of Wisdom

Discussion in 'The Tiberian Islands' started by Heather Mason, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Heather Mason

Heather Mason Silent Hill

Student
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    November 1st

When Heather was a kid, Halloween was definitely her favorite holiday. There was candy, costumes, fun times with friends, and monsters. The monsters in particular were awesome. She just loved reading all of the horror novels and watching scary movies and reading folklore about monsters. Then she met actual monsters, and the allure was lost pretty quickly.

Halloween in Pandora wasn't too bad. At least, there wasn't much that could scare her more than what Silent Hill had done. No matter where she was, though, she could never escape the nightmares that followed her from that town. Weirdly, they were never focusing on the types of things she'd actually seen in Silent Hill. Most of her nightmares at the schola involved Alessa's fears. There wasn't much for her to assume other than the magic triggering those memories.

Maybe she should've tried to talk to someone, but that would involve way more honesty than she was willing to demonstrate. Instead, she simply tried to get as much sleep as possible and ignore the problem. That was hard to do when sleep deprived.

In fact, it was hard to do much when so sleep deprived, which was why she found herself nodding off while studying in the library. She probably would have just fallen asleep if she wasn't leaning on one hand that accidentally slipped off the edge of the table.

She heard someone ask if she was alright, and of course wasn't going to just blab about her problems. "Actually, no, my nightmares have been getting worse lately."

... what?!

She didn't mean to say that! Why the hell did she say that?! She brought both of her hands up to her mouth in surprise, pushing her chair out from under her in an attempt to leave. Unfortunately, she happened to run directly into someone walking behind her.

Abigail Hobbs likes this.
  2. Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs Hannibal

Abigail was no stranger to nightmares. She had been plagued with them ever since her father became the shrike and forced her to help with his crimes. The dreams had only became worse after her parents' deaths and her own near death. Hannibal was helping her with the dreams, but they still lingered in Pandora.

She couldn't help feeling a twinge of curiosity when someone else mentioned nightmares, especially in such a public place and seemingly out of the blue. She put back the book she had been reading back on the shelf and decided to try to overhear more of the conversation. Eavesdropping was a difficult task for a girl with only one ear and she subtly stepped closer.

At least she thought she was being subtle, until the woman ran directly into her, knocking her off balance and causing her to fall on the floor. "I'm sorry." Abigail said as she stood back up and then added. "Are you okay?" There was more motivation than checking to see if their collision had done harm. She wanted to see if the response would once again include a mention of nightmares. It would be far more interesting than the textbook that she had been glancing through earlier.

Heather Mason likes this.
  3. Heather Mason

Student
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    "Argh, I'm sorry!" Heather cried. Whatever was going on with her suddenly telling more than she meant to, she didn't want to take it out on random people. The girl she bumped into at least seemed alright. Just a little tumble to the ground, she'd be fine. Heather sighed in relief as she saw the other stand back up, no worse for wear.

Then she asked Heather a question. It was easy, just say 'yes'. All she had to do was ignore the implied question about what she just said about nightmares and head back to her room. She didn't have that much time to prepare, however, as the second after the question was asked, Heather answered.

"No, I'm not," she said, sounding utterly casual once again "I didn't mean to answer that question honestly, or this one. I really don't want people to know about my nightmares, but now I've just said it and I'm freaking out." She covered her mouth, eyes blown wide.

4. Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs Hannibal

Abigail's curiosity grew at the woman's response and she felt a twinge of sympathy. She'd been forced to talk about her nightmares and her past in support groups that did more harm than good. She could remember the other girls staring at her and asking the most inappropriate questions about her past when the only one she felt safe opening up to was Hannibal. It wasn't an experience she'd wish on anyone. Everyone had secrets they wanted to keep hidden.

"That would make anyone freak out. Let's get out of the library and away from all these people." She suggested. It was what she wanted when she was in Port Haven, to be away from all the gawking and prying. Once they were outside, maybe she could help figure out what's going on or at least calm the other teenager down. She was far from a doctor but she had learned some things from Hannibal. It would be a nice change to be the one helping.

5. Heather Mason

Student
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Heather nodded so quickly that she worried her head was going to fall off. It was bad enough that she'd admitted to having nightmares, what if someone asked her if she still had family back home? What if someone asked what the most memorable amusement park attraction she'd been to?

So many innocent questions, so many landmines that she could accidentally trip. She kept her hands firmly on her mouth, desperate to keep some secrets to herself. Part of her was worried that the stranger getting her out of the library was going to start asking questions, but she seemed to be sympathetic enough that maybe she'd keep it firmly in the important categories. She was at the schola, maybe she knew magic? Because it had to be magic making her actually answer questions honestly.

6. Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs Hannibal

Abigail led the way out if the library quickly, giving a quick back-off look to anyone that seemed about to approach them. She had enough practice using it on reporters and it was much more effective against regular bystanders. Fortunately, she didn't have any books or other materials to check out and they were outside easily enough. She found a quiet spot where they could talk. "There. This is better." No prying eyes or ears around to bother them.

"I'm Abigail." She introduced herself without directly asking the other girl's name. Everything she said would take careful consideration. Even a simple question might seem invasive if her suspicion was right and she had no control over the answers. "I'd say nice to meet you, but I'm guessing you wish the circumstances were different." That opened the door to more information without being an actual question too.

7. Heather Mason

Student
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Heather managed to get her breathing under control as they made their way out of the library and tried to consider what the hell was happening. There weren't many answers to be found since her mind was still a mostly panicked mess at the moment. The only thing she could really say for sure was that some magic bullshit was making her life way too difficult.

It was very relieving to be taken somewhere without eavesdroppers. Even better to hear Abigail ask a question without actually asking. It was a good sign that her secrets would actually be respected. Heather took a breath and responded, "my name's Cheryl. I'm glad you're not taking advantage of... whatever this is. I don't... I don't know what's happened. My mouth just started answering without my permission."

8. Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs Hannibal

"I wouldn't take advantage." Abigail assured her. "I know how important privacy can be." She knew that secrets had to be kept, sometimes for one's freedom and one's very survival. Her own life had depended on keeping her father's secrets and Hannibal's, in the past. Now, it was also a part of her desire to have a new life where she wouldn't be judged as a monster for her past actions. There was also the issue of nightmares. If Cheryl's dreams were as linked to personal trauma as her own, she completely understood the desire to keep them to herself.

"Maybe we can figure out what's happening." Abigail wouldn't make any promises; all she could do was try. "Did you hurt your head recently?" Abigail asked, using the word recently to avoid going to far into her past. There had been something about this in one of her psychology readings - patients that suffered brain injuries and changed the way they behaved socially, including losing the ability to filter what they were thinking before speaking it out loud. It felt surprisingly good to think that she could use her studies to help another person.

9. Heather Mason

Student
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    While there was no absolute guarantee that Abigail was telling the truth, if she was going to take advantage, she didn't need to waste any time getting Heather's guard down. That was enough for Heather to decide to take a chance and let the girl try to help her. Who knows, maybe she'd actually be able to figure it out.

Heather noticed that Abigail didn't promise to figure it out, and appreciated that. She hated when people tried to promise more than they could. If they can't be sure of something, they should just be honest about it.

When Abigail asked a direct question, Heather's curse took over again. Too casually for the conversation, she replied, "no, I have not." She shook off the unnerved feeling that answering without thinking like that summoned, because it was actually useful at that point. They could be sure that it was the truth, because what else could it be?