By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Private The gift of learning

Discussion in 'Cascade Bay' started by Alice Liddell, Nov 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alice Liddell

Alice Liddell Alice in Wonderland
    The Dream Child

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    September 10th
    @Jane Tobias

Alice had been very eager to go to Treasure Island, a book shop in Cascade Bay. It wasn’t far from Crystal Vales, so it was easy for a child like her to find it. She had collected an assortment of books with her allowance, including a few she might not have normally selected. But being in Pandora, they had all sorts of books she would never find at home.

One of them was a novel by a lady called Ann Radcliffe and described as a gothic novel, something Alice wasn’t familiar with, but she’d chose it because of its date and that it was written by someone from Earth, where she came from. However, the young girl was already finding the book very trying, especially since it lacked any sort of pictures.

“Why did I choose this book?” Alice fussed, rubbing her forehead. “There’s so much writing and not a single picture to break it up!” Her comment was meant for herself, but it was just loud enough a passer-by would be able to overhear.

Jane Tobias likes this.
  2. Jane Tobias

Jane Tobias The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories

Governess
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    There was a bookshop called Treasure Island in Cascade Bay. Jane Tobias always passed it after she tutored a girl who was lagging in her study. She never got inside the bookshop because she knew that it was filled with fictions and novels, something that she did not read regularly because she devoted most of her time to magic.

However, today, as she was passing the bookshop, she felt some weariness at spending another night being very lonely and experiencing with the same weary spells. Maybe she would read a book other than books about or of magic tonight. Thinking so, she walked into the shop. She looked through many shelves and came across a curious book. It was titled "Sense and Sensibility" and was written by Jane Austen. Miss Tobias knew nothing about Jane Austen but the book was from the same period that she was from and was set in England. Feeling suddenly homesick, Miss Tobias picked the book up and decided to buy it.

That was when she suddenly heard a child complaining about a book having no picture and a lot of words. Looking down, she saw a young girl with blond hair in a pretty dress. The book in her hands was a novel by Ann Radcliffe. It was not a novel that she would recommend to a child although she was very fond of the book.

"Pictures certainly make books more interesting but the story written in words was the thing that makes a book oustanding. And a novel by Miss Radcliffe was not suitable for a child your age." Looking at the shelf next to her, she found a book about history. "I think you should look into this book." She handed the history book over to the child. The book contained a few pictures and it contained all the exciting parts of history.

Alice Liddell likes this.
  3. Alice Liddell

The Dream Child

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    The voice of an older lady made the girl jump and the book almost fell from her hands. Oh dear, had she said that out loud? The lady sounded much like her elder sister, Lorina, in her tone and words. And she wore clothes not all that unfamiliar. Alice bashfully looked at the floor, suddenly embarrassed, but looked up as she was handed another book – this one was about history, specifically Earth's.

The young girl was silent for a moment, unsure of what to say. She didn’t want to appear rude, but the thought of reading another book like the ones her sister owned made her want to groan. However, that would be terribly inappropriate to do in front of a stranger.

“Um…thank you, Miss,” Alice began to say, opening the book she had been given. To her surprise, however, the book was not just full of boring facts – there were a few pictures depicting history. “Why, this is…I never knew books like this could be illustrated!” The girl exclaimed without thinking, realising Lorina had never shown her such books, merely reading them aloud to her.

She then remembered what she had said, and admitted, “I’m afraid I am not the most studious pupil, Miss. My elder sister and I…we were at odds sometimes when she attempted to tutor me. Although I am certain she had my best interests at heart.”

Jane Tobias likes this.
  4. Jane Tobias

Governess
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    "They are actually usually illustrated. A book's content is the core of a book but some pictures help set one's imagination of the places or the people. I have looked through this book once and even though I have some problems with some aspects, it is a great introduction to history written in clear, precise prose. It is a clever book." Miss Tobias could now make some generalization about the girl. She seemed to be the kind of young girl who was a little too curious, a little too inquisitive, a little too disobedient. However, she was kind at heart and that made her agreeable to Miss Tobias despite her dislike toward books.

"You are young and young children are quick learners. You should commit yourself to proper and diligent study so by the time you are an adult, you will become an intelligent and knowledgeable young woman. You should not lag in your study simply because people do not expect young women to do well academically. Many people may prefer a pretty face and I admit prettiness is pleasing but there is nothing more unpleasant and dull than having to talk to someone who is witless and unintelligent." Miss Tobias said all of this with a very solemn and stern expression. She hoped that the girl would take her sincere advice even though she knew that the young girl might not follow it. Young girls tended to forget very easily and they rarely ever followed advices. Miss Tobias was lucky that she was a governess to such two well-behaved girls in England.

5. Alice Liddell

The Dream Child

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Alice smiled at the lady’s explanation; although she couldn’t say if she really would enjoy learning from a book, she could heartily agree that pictures helped one to be more engaged. Perhaps she should have taken more of an interest in Lorina’s tutoring sessions and asked to see the books she was reading.

“I have never thought of that before,” the girl mused, in relation to both being an intelligent adult and coming from an era where women weren’t expected to accomplish a lot. “Although I have noticed people expected me to be, well, silent and accepting much of the time.” Perhaps that was why most adults in her world grew tired at her outspoken and stubborn ways. “I suppose I am fortunate to have a sister who takes such an interest in my education.”

“I do miss her,” Alice said after a moment, “Lorina was a good tutor, despite our occasional quarrels.” The child again took note of the lady’s outfit. “If I may ask, where are you from, Miss? Are you from the era of Queen Victoria in England like myself?”

Jane Tobias likes this.
  6. Jane Tobias

Governess
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Well, children were generally expected to be well-behaved and silent but girls were usually taught subjects which made them become pleasant companions than those with knowledgeable and sharp minds. "If you have such a sister and are provided with a good education, I believe you should commit yourself to study. It will be beneficial for you when you grow older." Especially if one's husband was dull, a book would be a good companion for a woman but Miss Tobias did not say that to the child.

What the girl said reminded Miss Tobias of that one teacher that she had met in Pandora Town more than two months and a hundred years ago. Miss Oswald was also from England but her England was a vastly different England from Miss Tobias's England. She wanted to meet someone from the same world as her but she did not want to get her hope up only to have it broken. "I am from England but I know no queen Victoria. I am from the beginning of the nineteenth century and we are under the reign of His Majesty, King George. When are you from? Or do you even have the same calendar as us?"

7. Alice Liddell

The Dream Child

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    “I do believe you’re right, Miss. I ought to try harder.” Alice would never be the diligent student the lady appeared to be want, but the girl knew she could be stubborn and non-committal to things she found trivial. Creating flower crowns instead of paying attention to lessons likely would harm her later in life.

Recognition flashed in Alice’s eyes at the lady’s mention of King George. She may not listen very much, but it was common knowledge who currently reigned. “Oh, yes! He was our last monarch, I believe. I am from 1865, in Oxford. I should say we do have the same one, yes, if we come from the same world.”

Jane Tobias likes this.
  8. Jane Tobias

Governess
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    When the young girl answered Miss Tobias, she knew immediately that the young girl would not try harder. Young children rarely could apply themselves to study if they did not someone to guide them. She could only hope that the young girl had a good and strict enough teacher.

"But I do not know any princesses with the name of Victoria." Suddenly, a thought struck her. "Our king is King George the III." King George III's first born son was George IV. It was natural that he would become king.

Sorry because it is a very short post which poses such an important question that if it is not answered, I cannot say anything else. Feel free to answer in a very short post.

#8 Jane Tobias, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  9. Alice Liddell

The Dream Child

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    "Oh, yes, he did, my mistake." Alice knew she should have listened more. But our current Queen - she's reigned for quite a few decades, since the 1830s I believe. I assume she is from the same family." She wasn't entirely certain if her answer was credible, but hoped it was.

"Do you come here very often, Miss?"

Jane Tobias likes this.
  10. Jane Tobias

Governess
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    King George III was also the young girl's king? King George III was an old man with bursts of madness; it was doubtful that he could live up to the 1830s to pass the throne to a princess that Miss Tobias did not know he have. It did not seem right but the girl's world might be completely different from her own. However, as she looked at the child, she realized that it was completely unreliable to base this on something the girl said. There was uncertainty in the girl's face; she must not have listened closely to her history lessons. "It is not possible for me to know whether our worlds are different or not from what you said."

She suddenly remembered that most of the events in her worlds had coincided with Miss Oswald's world but there was a difference. That difference happened to be the Raven King. She decided to test it out, "Is there the Raven King, John Uskglass in your world? He is the greatest magician in England and he ruled England from the 12th and the 15th century without aging."

The girl question jolted out of her reminiscences about her home. "No, I don't. This is my first time coming here. This place is the house of a young girl I am tutoring."

11. Alice Liddell

The Dream Child

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    She realised she was likely confusing the lady more than she was helping. “I’m afraid I do not know all the monarchs; I assume there have been more in-between.” Yes, perhaps there would be other ways to see if they were from the same world, but Alice did not know how to prove that, or if it were even possible.

Alice thought hard for a moment, before shaking her head. "No, I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of the Raven King, or his name before.” From how the lady described him, it appeared he was well-known in her world. She was certain Lorina would have mentioned him, as she knew all about King Arthur and the myths surrounding him.

“No, I haven’t been here before. But I thought it would be an interesting place to visit. What kind of things do you tutor people in? History?”

Jane Tobias likes this.
  12. Jane Tobias

Governess
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    "We are not from the same world, then." Again, Miss Tobias felt disappointed to hear that the young girl did not know about the Raven King (a young girl in her world might not know the all the lineage in the royal house but would have definitely been told about the Magician King). After all, despite her reason, she was still hopeful to find someone from the same world as her.

She was not as enthusiastic as the young girl was about the bookshop. This place was carefully decorated but was mostly catered to young children so she wouldn't have even walked into this place if not on a sudden lonely whim. "I was a governess back in my world. I taught mostly the usual subjects: Grammar, French, Latin, History, Geography, simple mathematics, etc. I now mostly teach struggling students their class subjects."

"Are you in school?" Miss Tobias found the schools in Pandora much more to her liking than the schools in her world. "What is your name? I am Jane Tobias."