HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Activity Check Time! July 1-7
    Click here to save your characters!
  3. This beautiful little ranch along with its famous Lon Lon milk are back! Just don't harass the Cuccos. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. A voice has begun narrating the inner thoughts of the citizens of Pandora! Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Open The Star Festival

Discussion in 'RP Requests & Plotting' started by FullMoon, Jul 12, 2018 at 9:34 PM.

1. FullMoon

FullMoon That One Brazilian Guy

Being a mess
    Race:
    Trainwreck
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    [​IMG]

One of Japan's most popular festivals is Tanabata, also known as the Star Festival. The story associated with it aside, it's a festival whose main defining feature are the fact that people hang pieces of colored paper with a wish written on it on small bamboo trees which are then either burned as an offering or floated down a river. Being a festival, of course, there's going to be plenty of food, colorful decorations, stands to play games at and maybe even a parade.

Since Pandora has a lot of Japanese characters in it thanks to anime I thought it could be interesting to hold a festival of this kind in Pandora Town. It might be a little late to do this, but ideally it is celebrated on August 5th-8th (or July but I think a lot of people would have been doing stuff in those days already) and I thought it could be a fun thing to do and have characters dress up in yukata, write wishes on paper, play games and go on dates and all that kind of stuff.

Organization

Thread Tracker

#1 FullMoon, Jul 12, 2018 at 9:34 PM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 1:56 AM
  2. Carnelian

Carnelian Queen of Cookies

Former employee of Woolworths
    Race:
    Fangirl
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    I know Sora would be joining in with most of the above (minus the date side of things).

Ivy and FullMoon like this.
  3. Riot

Riot Player

@Hime Yarizakura would've celebrated this growing up, and as the acting teenage mayor of her quaint little hometown (it's complicated) I imagine she even would've had a hand in organizing or overseeing preparations for the festival.

I'm not sure who would be in charge of Pandoran Tanabata -- city council maybe? -- but I'll happily volunteer NPCs from the Home for Wayward Orphans to help with setup. Food stalls and game stands don't build themselves, y'know! (Or maybe they do. Pandora.) At the very least I'm sure the kids would love to decorate some floats for a parade or something, maybe run around distributing flyers to residential areas.

But yes, I'm definitely interested in this sort of thing. :D

4. Sayamy

Sayamy Player

Book Collector
    Neither of my two remaining boys (Day and Magi) are from Japan or know of it, but both would participate if they knew of it.
    Daniel just to get his head free, maybe he´d ask @Spider Nancy to join?
    Magi could do music? He can play pretty much anything if someone gives him a example how it should sound. And his joy if infectious, makes ppl happy XD
    Both are free so far around the August dates

Ivy, Spider Nancy and FullMoon like this.
  5. FullMoon

Being a mess
    Race:
    Trainwreck
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    @Riot

As far as how it's going to be setup, I was actually thinking it would be a community thing? People gathering to help make this holiday that some might not have gotten to properly experience in Pandora since they arrived (if they have been around for a long time) but possibly with some government support from the department of public relations? (Tagging @Dawn Bellwether just in case)

On the topic of people helping organize the event, our very own Shimada brothers will be helping out with the food by bringing some of Ryū Tenchi's nice ramen to the event. I love the idea of the children of the orphanage also helping with setting things up too!

#5 FullMoon, Jul 13, 2018 at 7:09 AM
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 7:55 AM
  6. GhostOfHalloweenPast

GhostOfHalloweenPast a dragonfly on their way into the sky

Fanfic Writer & Half-Time Witch
    Race:
    kuo'ma
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    As it is, I do not have any Asian characters - which is a myrkin shame - but I can absolutely see Raphael and Nancy participate in it, whereas Alice and Rikki might rather be reluctant at first but would definitely not be disinterested!
    Since Genji and Hanzo are part of it, Raphael would most likely help with the preparations as far as he can! And I'd be very much willing to NPC some ppl for it as well, should the need call for it.

In general, I'm super interested in this bc I'm always interested in foreign cultures and their celebrations, so pls bring this cute concept into Pandora :'3

7. Behold! Instant Noodles!

That's a firm yes on the support front from Public Relations; it's both the sort of community project that they ought to be supporting and it'll help make people feel a little bit better about the government. Public Affairs can help out with the promoting, throw some money towards it, help with organising (also known as "Bellwether standing there sheepishly holding a clipboard") and generally be like "yes this is a thing that should happen!".

Oh, also, this is just generally a neat and lovely idea.

8. Eris

Eris Player

Editor-in-Chief
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    I'd love to participate with Akane, if you're looking for some more Japanese characters! :) She's an excellent planner and would enjoy planning something nice for once with no murders accidental or otherwise - or just attending if other people have the planning covered. Basically she's up for anything!

9. Chio

Chio Queen of Shenanigans

Queen of Shenanigans
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    It would be interesting if Saryuu along with Naoto (since both are from Japan) participated in such a event. Though, then again, Saryuu is going to keep to the sidelines while Naoto would go in the crowd.

10. FullMoon

Being a mess
    Race:
    Trainwreck
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Great! Seeing how there seems to be plenty of interest in such an event, I'll be adding some information on the first post in regards to people who will be helping with the event itself. If anyone has any contribution in mind, feel free to tell me!

One thing I would like to bring up, however, is the fact that since the festival happens on multiple days, of course making a group thread spanning 5 days would be a unreasonable. So I was wondering if I should make a group thread just for the very start of the festival, or if I should just make a current event saying that "Yo this is happening now" and leave it at that.

Any opinions?

Ivy and GhostOfHalloweenPast like this.
  11. Riot

Riot Player

Great! Thanks, FullMoon. :D

How about setting it up this way:
    1) Current Event
    2) A 'master' thread where players can post one-off scenes of their characters helping with setup or exploring the festival. They can do this multiple times if they want, but the idea is that these characters aren't interacting with other PCs. It would just be a 'snapshot' of a moment during the festival.
    3) If anyone wants to plot with another player in the context of the festival, they can just start their own thread.

12. Behold! Instant Noodles!

I like @Riot 's suggestion; the big 'master' thread would really help set the atmosphere, and then let it branch off into separate threads for folks interacting with one another. We could also encourage people who are running stands with games or food or anything else that's going on to start threads for their stand, and get folks interacting with them a bit.

13. FullMoon

Being a mess
    Race:
    Trainwreck
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    That sounds like an excellent idea! I might just do that once I have the time to write an intro post for the festival as a whole!