By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

There Is More To Life Than Breath

Discussion in 'Pandora, Year 1 - 7' started by Akane Kurashiki, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Akane Kurashiki

Akane Kurashiki Zero Escape
    Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious

Race:
    Human (Esper)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link

JULY 14, YEAR 7
    Late Morning
    @Obi-Wan Kenobi

Akane hadn't meant to fight with the stranger. She really hadn't.

But it was impossible when her pulse pounded in her throat, when her breaths came so quickly and shallowly that it felt like her lungs never inflated. How was she supposed to let someone get away with doing that to her, even if it was unintentional, even if she was supposed to be strong and normal and alive but couldn't shake the past?

All it had taken was some sort of... she hadn't been sure what it was exactly that the people had been discussing, but one of them was obviously a magic user, and had summoned a small ball of fire effortlessly from his hand.

If it had been in a fireplace, she might have been okay, if she kept an eye on it.

But for a flame to suddenly appear in the air was one of her worst fears, because how could she know it wouldn't draw power from the oxygen she breathed and travel? How was she to know it was not directed at her, too quickly for her to try to SHIFT, because even in the face of danger, her mind still had to work?

She had approached him then, asking him to stop, and when he got angry with her, she had gotten angry back, but a strange kind of anger, directed at herself rather than at the belligerent young man who was technically within his rights to do what he wanted with his magic. He was just showing off for a friend, he wasn't hurting anyone... at least not physically.

Akane walked away shaking, but whether from fear or rage, she had a hard time telling. It had been a year now since she didn't have to fear losing her life to fire, and with all the deaths she had just escaped in the Decision Game, surely her mind had plenty of other things to make her afraid of... and yet the smell and the sight and the heat in the air made her run like the bunnies in the warren must have, helpless in the face of their murderer.

But no. She had to be normal here. She had wasted so many years, time that some people called the best in their lives, on never knowing if every small action of hers would take her right back into the flames. But the flame from the man's hand hadn't hurt her at all. She was still alive. Even her quick breaths were keeping her body working, her legs pumping as she got out of that place as quickly as she could -

Only to collide into a man she had never seen before. "Oh no, I'm so sorry," she exclaimed, taking a few steps back and nearly tripping over her own feet. "I was just... I mean... I should have looked where I was going, but I... couldn't," she blurted out. Gab began to sniff at the stranger as Akane hoped she hadn't completely ruined someone else's day as hers had been by the showoff magic user.

#1 Akane Kurashiki, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi Star Wars

SUF Team Leader
    Race:
    Force-Sensitive Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good

[​IMG]
    Obi-Wan had been patrolling the morning streets, albeit in plain sight, as people all over Pandora town had started the new day. What he didn't have in the cards was being bumped into by a pedestrian. As he had regained his footing, the young woman had started rambling. He could sense the fear in her spiking even higher than when they made impact. Maybe a bit of fury, too.

He knew what he had to do. "Please, miss, calm down. It's just a... Collision." The word had began to not sink right already with Obi-Wan. "I mean, you just were being human. Calm down - it's a tiny mistake. It wasn't like you set me aflame." He replied, having been completely unaware of why the young girl had been fearful and infuriated in the first place. But still, it was just a small run-in. The Jedi literally had been physically attacked by others purposefully, being a high-ranking officer in the S.U.F., and he didn't want to think of back home. So many worse things than this had occurred there.

"Here. Just sit down if you need, and we can talk. It's my job to help those in need..." He offered a seat on a nearby bench. He wouldn't answer any further on how or why his duty was to help others, but he could still offer conversation and maybe some calming words. He'd obviously have to get to the root of the woman's problem, first. He sat down himself, having left space for the young woman. Hopefully his natural charm was still showing up - he wouldn't blame her if she didn't want to sit and talk with a random man she ran into. Not at all.

Thread Tag @Akane Kurashiki

Akane Kurashiki likes this.
  3. Akane Kurashiki

Race:
    Human (Esper)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Akane took several deep breaths as the man tried to calm her down. His words were just like Aoi's when she panicked back home, and somehow that made things both better and worse when he mentioned that she had not set him aflame.

She had set her murderer aflame, in one of the timelines. It was a favor to return that she could not resist.

Aoi was not here with his soothing voice, but this man was, and he showed her the way to a seat. She sank into it, taking comfort from the solid bench beneath her. Her breathing quieted a little as she heard Gab catch up to her, laying down by her feet. She picked him up and placed him on her lap, enjoying the warmth of the living dog atop her.

"I... I didn't mean to bother you," she began, looking up at the man quickly before staring down into her lap. He looked kind, and he had offered to help, even saying that it was his job... and there was no need to keep these secrets, not anymore. She didn't need to be the mysterious Zero, creator of the Second Nonary Game. All she needed to be was Akane, and Akane was allowed to ask for help.

She began to speak, words flowing freely from her mouth as a few tears leaked from her eyes."I've never had a normal life and I was trying so hard to be good, but there was this man making fire with his hands and I just got so scared... I tried to ask him to stop but he wouldn't... he shouldn't have to, he was just with his friend, but I got so scared... I'm trying so hard but if I'm around fire, I just can't get it to stop." 'It' being, of course, the racing of her heart and her thoughts, the way nothing seemed to make sense except an animalistic need to flee.

She sighed, looking up at the kind man once more. "It's a very long story, but I just get so scared that it stops me from being normal," she concluded, wondering if he was about to dispense helpful advice or if her problem was too large for him to handle.

4. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi Star Wars

SUF Team Leader
    Race:
    Force-Sensitive Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good

[​IMG]
    Obi-Wan patted the young woman's shoulder. He would've apologized for joking earlier about Akane being able to set him aflame, but he'd just let that die down... No fire pun was intended when he had first thought that. She seemed to be in despair, and as she'd stated, it was a long story. Obi-Wan had met enough women to know that "long story" usually translated into "I don't want to talk about the root of this issue quite yet". Kind of a thing that had recurred in his life with them.

"It's okay. Here. How about you stay right here. Tell me your favorite food place in Pandora. I can go get some takeout. As a gentleman, it's my honor and duty to help a woman in need." He smirked, pulling some money from his robe. "You look like you need someone to talk to, so please, don't feel so bad. At least let me see you off with a full stomach and a smile." He offered. It reminded him of home - being known for his kindness for helping others.

"But first, an introduction. Obi-Wan Kenobi, at your service." He told her, trying to clear the air. "And trust me, I hate fire as much as the next person. It can be a horrifying sight or tool if in the wrong hands. I can see where you're coming from." He nodded his head, acknowledging it was her turn to speak. He hoped to help her somehow. It'd been the big-brother instinct he always had drawing him to cheer up the young lass. And he always made sure to help people find a path to self-improvement.

Thread Tag @Akane Kurashiki

Akane Kurashiki likes this.
  5. Akane Kurashiki

Race:
    Human (Esper)
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

The man guided her to the bench kindly, calmly, his lack of panic already helping her feel calmer. Even when Aoi guided her back from panic, there was still a grit to his teeth and shaking in his hands and that only made her feel even worse, that she couldn’t be stronger for him.

“I… I don’t know many food places yet, but I am from Japan, so maybe something Japanese, or something similar,” she mumbled, wondering if this man had even heard of Japan. “Maybe some ramen, that would be nice,” she added, thinking of the long nights she and Aoi spent awake figuring out the logistics for the Second Nonary Game, eating ramen as brain fuel and comfort food.

When he introduced himself, she gave him a small smile, introducing herself as well. “My name is Akane Kurashiki,” she said, memories of the time when she couldn’t say that name leaping unbidden into her mind. But she was safe now. This man was safe. “It’s nice to meet you, Obi-Wan.” A moment later, she added, “Your name has some Japanese elements to it,” then blushed again. He would probably think she was an idiot if she couldn’t make sense about her problems and just distracted herself with inconsequential matters like his name’s origin.

Her breath caught in her throat when he mentioned fire, only for her to feel immense relief that he too understood the danger of fire. “In the wrong hands, it can be…” She couldn’t even think of the right words to use, and fear clenched around her heart again. “It’s hard for me to see when it’s okay and when it’s not.” She would stay quiet then, giving Obi-Wan a chance to get the food. She would need something comforting from home if she was going to discuss her fears more, even if he was being very kind.