HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The snow topped buildings and shops of Hogsmeade are all decked out for the holidays, ready for visitors! Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A magical wish-granting pool has been discovered in the desert. Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The WRITING CONQUEST is back! Complete challenges and earn points for your team!
    Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Private These Ears That Hear

Discussion in 'Pandora Town' started by Baby, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Baby

Baby Baby Driver

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

JANUARY 1, Y7

@Helen Magnus

He didn't really want to go to that clinic. It had been Wednesday's suggestion and, honestly, it was a gamble whether or not a suggestion was really a suggestion for him. Still, he'd had a point. His ears were worse off than they'd been before when tinitus had been his only real issue. After the gunshots Buddy had inflicted, they'd never been the same despite hoping and hoping and hoping. So he'd just drowned out the faint buzz and the muffledness of it all with more music, though he had to wonder how much that was really helping.

Speaking of which, he had his earbuds in his ears as he stepped into the clinic. He had heard about Dr. Helen Magnus, heard she was good, and he didn't want to go somewhere more official like the hospital given the things that he'd been up to. Wednesday would probably literally kill him if he got them all caught. Or just break his legs. There were no loved ones to kill, though, so at least there was that.

He'd never been to a proper doctor or a proper clinic on his own, and Baby found himself lingering in the doorway with his lips pressed to a fine line as his body subtly moved with the sounds of Tequila in his ears.

Helen Magnus likes this.
  2. Helen Magnus

Helen Magnus Sanctuary

Doctor, Scientist, Badass
    Race:
    Abnormal
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

Helen had been working on something the past three days, refining the formula she had copied back from Hollow Earth to give to those brought back from death. Normally hours even days after death there was not saving you because of the damage done to your brain from the lack of oxygen. Luckily for her this protein supplement negated all that. Now if only there was a way to make it taste better. She had cringed the first time she had to drink it after her execution but if it would keep her from becoming a brain dead zombie then down the hatch. She was aware someone was coming in to see her today, damage to the eardrums seemed to be the issue and so she had a lab set aside to look into it with everything she would need. Helen wondered already if the small bone within the ear had actually been damaged, a loud enough sound could damage it and once that went you were screwed.

Once the boy stepped into the clinic Helen had another scientist walk over to her and let her know he was here. She looked up from her work and pulled her slid from the microscope. "I'll get to clearing up this station afterwards, excuse me." Snapping off her gloves she threw them away in one of their hazard bins before walking out into the clinics entry room. Helen walked out with a smile on her face and offered her hand for a handshake. "Dr. Helen Magnus, a pleasure to meet you." She hadn't been too horribly surprised when he had contacted her for an appointment to look at his ears. Her first question had been asking herself why he wasn't just going to the hospital. Everything she had the hospital had but the reality might be he didn't have the money or he was avoiding government run facilities for whatever reason, more than likely legal. That didn't mean Helen would turn him away at the door, as a doctor she had made an oath to help whoever came to her.

"You can follow me, I've got a room set aside for a base examination." She started down the back hall passing a few of the labs before pushing one of the doors open and holding it for him so he could let himself in. It had the best lighting in here, obviously not the standard doctors office. There was a metal table that looked like it had seen more dead bodies than living ones. A white sheet laid over the top so it wasn't quite as uncomfortable. There was a movable tray too lined with various instruments and tools, some looking far scarier than they actually were and others more familiar. Those typical tools used in just about every doctors office. Helen walked over to the sink and washed her hands before slipping on a clear pair of gloves. "You can take a seat there." She pointed to the table. "So, have you ever seen anyone about your hearing trouble in the past? And symptoms aside from the hearing lose? Past trauma that could have caused damage, this includes even being hit hard enough with a ball in your childhood."

Baby likes this.
  3. Baby

Baby Baby Driver

Race:
    Human
    Directory:
    link

She seemed like she meant business. Kind, sure, but like she meant business. It wasn’t that Baby didn’t like doctors. It wasn’t like he’d never been to a doctor before, though it’d been a long time. Before prison, he’d spent more time in doctors offices for Joe, not for him. There’d just been this point where foster son was the one taking care of foster dad. Still, while it may not have been completely obvious that he was feeling a little nervous, especially given the earbuds he still had in his ears, it definitely didn’t seem like the most talkative person out there. Baby simply shook her hand and silently nodding his head befort trailing after her.

His eyes wandered a bit. They couldn’t help but wander because Baby was a curious mind, but at the sound of Dr. Magnus’ voice, his eyes snapped back toward her. They walked into the examination room and he silently moved over to the table, hoisting himself up onto it with ease. He watched her even as his music played on his ears, but eventually, he lifted his hand and pulled out one earbud and then the other, reaching into his pocket to turn his zune player off. He hadn’t had any trouble understanding her, of course. Hearing her was an issue, but Baby had adapted to that problem a long time ago.

“I had my ears looked at after an accident when I was a kid,” he started, finally speaking up, voice deeper than most expected, accompanied by a thick southern accent. “I’ve had tinnitus since then, but there was another accident more recently and my hearing never really …” Baby trailed off. It didn’t really recover. His gaze blinked to the side for a moment as his mind drifted back to the sound of the gunshots in his ears, the intense sound of ringing. There had been some recovery since then, but he’d hit a wall.

He didn’t even know if it was a wall he could get over.

Helen Magnus likes this.
  4. Helen Magnus

Helen Magnus Sanctuary

Doctor, Scientist, Badass
    Race:
    Abnormal
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link

[​IMG]

She had feared he would say he had tinnitus, it wasn't a horrible problem alone but apparently something else had happened to him more recently that had damaged his ear. Helen pulled out her otoscope to get a better look into his ears. "I'm going to take a quick look for a moment." Helen put a new tip on it to not cross contaminate from whomever might have been the last person it was used on. Switching on the light Helen places the tip of the device gently into his ear and took a look. This one looked almost normal though not perfect, there was some minor damage inside but she didn't foresee it getting too bad if he took good care of his ears.

Looking into his other ear was a different story however, it looked horrible. Clearly the accident he had been involved in created enough trauma to his ear to actually damage the eardrum itself. "Bloody hell." Helen muttered. She had seen this sort of levels of damage before, during WWI and WWII artillery men who had been too close to the canons when they went off had a more serious form of it and at times total hearing lose. Luckily it wasn't as bad. "What happened to you?" Helen asked setting the otoscope back down on the table. "I'd like to get a better look at those ears, we have a scan a little more complex than those from my world that will give us an internal view of your eardrum and ear canal but I'm sorry to inform you, your eardrum looks like it was ruptured by something."

She folded her hands wanting to tell him she knew exactly what was wrong but she couldn't without a clear view. "I can't see the full extent of the damage until after the scan but it appears there is a hole in your eardrum. That can be corrected with surgery but I don't know if it can be fixed without a closer look in the scans. I've done the surgery before, it's fairly simple, I would go in behind your ear and it leaves a fairly small scar you wouldn't notice unless someone was looking for it. However." Helen motioned to his earbuds he had taken out. "You have to be careful, listening to music with those in your ear could continue to cause damage. Your ears are very delicate right now and if you worsen that hole it could become bad enough that it won't be repaired and you will lose all of your hearing."

Baby likes this.