HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Activity Check Time! July 1-7
    Click here to save your characters!
  3. This beautiful little ranch along with its famous Lon Lon milk are back! Just don't harass the Cuccos. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. A voice has begun narrating the inner thoughts of the citizens of Pandora! Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Complete Traditional way of teaching magic

Discussion in 'Misty Hollow' started by Zephaniah, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Zephaniah

Zephaniah The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

shopkeeper
    Race:
    Elder
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    June 7th, Year 7
    @Magiano

Zephaniah was sitting in her home along with Magiano. Compared to the shop, the house was not much different. There were mirrrors everywhere their eyes went and the house lacked the personal touch a person would give to their house.

Zephaniah was giving Magiano a lecture on air magic even though an unlearnt person might think she was giving him a lecture in science. She kept describing to him the mechanism of rain, describing all types of clouds and how such clouds came into beings.

"The highest cloud in the atmosphere is cirrocumulus, cirrus and cirrostratus. Mid-level clouds include..."

Magiano likes this.
  2. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Directory:
    link
    Of course he jumped on the offer to learn some magic, had realized by now that Zephania had a lot of experience and could do stuff he never would've dreamed off. Just that she didn't used it open enough for him to simply copy. That her house was bare and studded with mirrors didn't bothered him, it wasn't that different to a temple with gods staring from every surface. He could lose himself pretty easy in thoughts.
    At first he had listened. Learning magic, doing magic, was something he always wanted to do, but this was less learning, no doing and more her talking at length about... clouds. And air. And weather. Seemingly had nothing to do with magic, so he tuned out, still looking at her from the spot on the floor where he sat cross-legged, but eyes glazed over, showing he was somewhere else.
    Magiano turned to music, as always when he was bored. Not humming at first, but composing in his head, a song about how he got to sat here in the warmth, dry, fresh bandages on his mark and at least a chance to do some magic. He tapped out the rhythm on his knee, the other hand twitching as if he played his lute that of course wasn't anywhere near because it wasn't needed in a lecture.

Zephaniah likes this.
  3. Zephaniah

shopkeeper
    Race:
    Elder
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Zephaniah looked to a mirror next to her and realized the boy looked like his head was in the cloud.

"What are the highest clouds in the atmosphere?" She asked suddenly.

Young children nowadays got distracted so easily. Few thousands years ago, children used to crowd around her to listen attentively to her every word. But nowadays, everyone expected to learn air magic in a month or two even.

Magiano likes this.
  4. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Directory:
    link
    “Eh?” he snapped out of his thought when Doras voice changed to a question, quick recalling what she had said. Good that he could remember such things good and always paid a little attention to his surroundings. “The ones furthes up” he replied with a smirk, because she hadn't asked for a name. Not that he'd known it.
    Then he got more serious again – if she looked for his aura, she'd noticed that the usual wide-spread blue got replaced by white since they started the lecture, only at his smile flaring up again. “You know, I don't actual have to know that stuff to do the magic, if you'd just show it to me.” That was how his powers worked after all. Mimicking. Not knowing.

Zephaniah likes this.
  5. Zephaniah

shopkeeper
    Race:
    Elder
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    "I mean the names." Zephaniah was not amused.

"Show me one of your micking."

Shortcuts like this were abominable. It was good to have a power like a boy did but to rely on it entirely would make one's weak. In recent years, there have been new and quicker ways of learning magic but she had always looked down on them because they did not provide for their practitioners a more stronger base.

#5 Zephaniah, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Magiano likes this.
  6. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Directory:
    link
    Of course she meant the names, he wasn't dumb. Just not up to memorize stuff he didn't need. All his magic needed was that he saw what was done and stayed near the person he copied it from. Simple, really. Not that he'd told her the rules he knew off, he still kept his cards a secret as best as he could with these seemingly all-knowing lady.
    At her request he sighted, but stood up and palms turned outside, summoned up that aura thing once more. It was the only thing he'd seen her do that he could copy, even thought he didn't knew the use. Apart from it making colors, this time a white with small blue stripes, green just small specks. Astonishing, how that could change. Magiano mustered his arms with slitted eyes, as if he could read his own magic.

Zephaniah likes this.
  7. Zephaniah

shopkeeper
    Race:
    Elder
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    "Can you retain the abilities of the people you copy over a period of time?" Zephaniah asked coldly and she knew she was touching on something that Magiano was trying to hide. She was cunning and she intended on showing Magiano how wrong he was.

And she wondered whether over a period of time, his ability would make him able to use his aura quicker than a normal person.

Magiano likes this.
  8. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Directory:
    link
    It took him some moments to even understand what she wanted from him. His ability worked in strange ways and he was only able to understand it through the mimicked powers from others, because alone, it did nothing.
    “Depends” he answered, keeping the aura up just to show that he could do it. Looked perfectly natural, as if he did it all on his own, while in reality it was a trick. Magianos tricks. Magic. “Gotta see it working first, get a grasp on the threads, but there's no limit once I got that.”
    Unless of course the person vanished out of sight, wasn't near anywhere or he switched between powers of different people, therefor nullifying any previous effects he caused. None of which she would find out if he didn't tell.

Zephaniah likes this.
  9. Zephaniah

shopkeeper
    Race:
    Elder
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Magiano showed his aura but it was only a show. He did not know how to even use aura. Unless she started using her aura to do something, which she wouldn't, he couldn't do anything at all.

"So can you still use their powers if they are not there for you to copy? If you can, demonstrate for me."
    Zephaniah knew she hit the right spot. Magiano had never done something that he mimicked from other people's besides her and she was always around him when he did that.

Magiano likes this.
  10. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Directory:
    link
    Of course he couldn't do anything else with his aura, as he wasn't really using it, but make the world do it just as he had seen it being done. And it wasn't his fault that she never showed him anything else he could use! Or take this lessons outside, where more magic was around.
    He dropped the aura at her question and frowned. “I never said that. I'm the Mimic, not a thief.” That at least he'd told her. Mimicking, not holding onto it. There was a Dagger member named the Star Thief, but that was not about his power, inspired from a story instead. For a while he'd thought to use a different one too if talking about him as an Elite, but Magiano proved to be a strong enough name.
    It didn't bothered him much that he lacked knowledge, he hadn't became famous just for his magic. Not with how rare it was in his world, still new, Elites in hiding and in danger if they made their powers known. So he had more than just that if it came to abilities. And she wanted to teach him, right? Why not in a way he could use?

Zephaniah likes this.
  11. Zephaniah

shopkeeper
    Race:
    Elder
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    "So what are you going to do if there is no one there for you to mimic? What will you do?" Zephaniah asked sharply.

That was why learning the tradionional way was always the best. Unless she was in a hurry, she would never teach someone the fast way like people nowadays always seeemed to be doing.

Magiano likes this.
  12. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Directory:
    link
    It sounded as if she thought him helpless without magic, which was anything but the case. He had lived quite some time without it, couldn´t rely on some power user to be at hand and didn´t see why he should restrict his freedom to others movements.
    So he laughed and pulled out one of the daggers he always kept in his sleeves, flicked it in the air and caught it again with ease. “I keep my blades very sharp. Nervous habit” Magiano winked at her, not meaning any threat despite the sharp end pointed at her.
    Blue worked his way up in his aura again, making him sound more light-hearted. “Otherwise, not getting into trouble is… the best way not to need defense? Like, I can always run.” It didn´t hurt his pride to admit a defeat, he cared for his life more.

Zephaniah likes this.
  13. Zephaniah

shopkeeper
    Race:
    Elder
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Zephaniah looked blankly at the way the boy used the dagger. She had seen better. Her granddaughters were one of the best fighters who had created many branches of material arts. Such a display of dagger was trivial and pale in comparison to what Zephaniah had seen for her whole life.

"Young people. What do you know about dangers?"
    Zephaniah was not acquainted with his world but as person who lived for thousands of years and who had gone through many wars, she was sure she had the superior knowledge about dangers.

Magiano likes this.
  14. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Directory:
    link
    Of course he hadn´t the mastery skill of someone ageless, but for a mere human without training it was good. Good enough against other humans as long as he wouldn´t believe himself superior – which he, for some reasons, never did. One of his good traits, not to count himself as better, but merely different.
    “What IS there to know about dangers?” he asked back. “Either I can deal with them or I can´t. If I can´t and nothing lucky happens, I`m dead. Simple as that.” Magiano wasn´t afraid to die, had come close to that before. “And I GOT luck” he added with a grin. Couldn´t believe it sometimes, but it worked, right? So far he´d managed to stay alive.

Zephaniah likes this.
  15. Zephaniah

shopkeeper
    Race:
    Elder
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    "You can work to make yourself better so you can stay alive." Zephaniah answered irritatedly back. "Attitude like this will get you killed."

Magiano likes this.
  16. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Directory:
    link
    “It´s not like I don´t try till I´ve run out of options.” He asked back just as irritated. “And I don´t let myself slack – wouldn´t be fun to settle anyway.” Things with him where always about fun in some way, did he searched for new thrills and all. “And I´m still alive.”
    “It´s people that kill. Disasters. Gods, maybe. Not my attitude.” A hollow statement, as his moods influenced him in a great way, daring and pushing him in otherwise bad directions. Like stealing or running after any magic he saw.

Zephaniah likes this.
  17. Zephaniah

shopkeeper
    Race:
    Elder
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Zephaniah shook her head Young people. They were so stubborn. Always thinking themselves right.

"Just pay attention to what I said."

Then she started giving him a lecture in different shapes of clouds and what shaped them.

"The shapes of cloud are affected by the conditions in which water is condensed into clouds."

Magiano likes this.
  18. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Directory:
    link
    Pay attention... that sounded so easy. Not that he wasn't able to, he could concentrate just well – if it were things that interested him. This, he barely cared about, as she could talk all she want, it wouldn't be useful for him. Magic he had, but not this kind. Nothing with clouds and weather, he couldn't even do this aura thing if she wasn't along. He had tried.
    So while she went on, Magiano turned back to his music, once again tapping out a rhythm that sounded like raindrops on his knees, humming along. Getting lost once more in composing, at which he was a lot better than remembering weather stuff.

Zephaniah likes this.
  19. Zephaniah

shopkeeper
    Race:
    Elder
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Being a blind person, Zephaniah had a sensitive ears. So she could hear the sounds that Magiano made easily. And that made her angry. In the past, people had gone to her and begged her for knowledge. They had sat down demurely at her feet and listened intensively to whatever important things she taught them. But this boy who had her for a teacher did not know how to appreciate the fact that such a knowledgeable person such as her had taught him.

"You fool."
    She said angrily. "If you don't know how to appreciate my knowledge which I am passing to you, go away. I will not teach you anymore."

Magiano likes this.
  20. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Directory:
    link
    Magiano didn't understood why she got angry – she had wanted to take a closer look at his magic, but instead it turned into lectures he hadn't asked for. “I never asked to be teached” he protested with a frown. “You're the one who wanted to look at my magic, but I can't do something you haven't shown me!”
    Probably she hadn't got that she wasn't in her place anymore either. No reputation. And if talking about weather was all she could do, he sure could find some better magic to copy. Apparently she didn't wanted him around for the day anyway, so he got up and bowed to her, at least showing some manner. “'Till later, mylady”
    And with that, he was gone. Not forever, he left his stuff here, but venturing out as usual to discover his surroundings only to come later and work in the shop to earn his dinner and another night of sleeping at her place.

Zephaniah likes this.