HeaderBox1

Welcome
to Pandora

By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box. Only the box is a world of its own.

We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.

Spotlight

Story Hub Banner

Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Elevated high above Pandora Town is the futuristic, whimsical Orbit City. Make sure to visit while it's still here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Exact doppelgangers of Pandora citizens are appearing out of nowhere, seemingly at random. Read more about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Twinsies!

Discussion in 'Seasonal Events' started by Steel, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Steel

Steel CHAOS INSIDE MY NEBULA
    Lore Division

The Wolf King
    Race:
    Mistborn

Twinsies!​

[​IMG]
    Credit to Christian Lieverse.
    Dopplegangers in Pandora
    God made man in his own image and now the Pandora gods have decided to make people in the images of your characters! Exact doppelgangers of Pandora citizens are appearing out of nowhere, seemingly at random. Despite being physically identical, these twins don't always copy the personality of their original. In fact, some seem to go as far as taking on the exact opposite personality -- anything from evil to deranged to silly to cheerful. Other than personality, the twins must be identical to the character and share the same abilities, powers, and weaknesses. They are generated in Pandora and not actual AU or canon twins of your character, but you can give them any backstory you choose. Or none at all!

Quick Facts
    • Dopplegangers are exact physical copies of the version of the character in Pandora. They are not from alternative universes or alternate canons.
    • Dopplegangers have the same exact abilities as the original character in Pandora. This means that if your character gained new abilities in Pandora, the doppleganger will have those new abilities as well.
    • Dopplegangers can have different memories from their counterparts. These can be different memories of what happened before Pandora, different memories of what happened in Pandora, or both!
    • Dopplegangers can have alternative personality traits. They don't have to be complete opposites. It could be something as simple as being clumsy and awkward where the original version is very graceful/well-spoken, etc.

How to get involved.
    This plot is entirely player-driven and very freeform. You can decide which of your characters are affected and freely write their doppleganger in whatever manner you'd like!

Questions?
    Do you have any questions? Feel free to drop them in this thread and somebody will be by to answer them shortly!

#1 Steel, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2018
    Hannah, Sabine, Dharke and 5 others like this.
  2. Superman

Superman DC Universe

Punching Bag
    Race:
    Advanced Human
    YES HELLO IVE BEEN WAITING THIS SINCE FOREVER IT IS THE MOST JOYFUL OF DAYS

will we use different accounts for the doppelgangers or should i just make a pretty Injustice!Supes template to use when I roleplay him? also im assuming the doppelganger has the same powers with the original and no further apping is required, correct?

EDIT: how come we dont have a lil cute sign up thingy describing a lil bit of the doppelganger's personality ? i thought it could be handy, but obvs thats ur call!!

Sabine and Thalia like this.
  3. Idris

Idris Player

Time-Traveller
    Directory:
    link
    This sounds super interesting :333

Is it up to us how long the doppleganger effect lasts, or will it be for the whole season if our characters take part in it?

Sabine likes this.
  4. Dharke

Dharke I dislike tigers

Race:
    Tiger Man
    Alignment:
    Lawful Evil
    Ooh, I'd love that too! Was also hoping to give my doppelganger very small physical differences to the original character (e.g. eye patch on other eye, turns into a white tiger rather than red/orange, etc).

Any chance players could request others write doppelgangers of their characters, leading to some fun and funny threads between the two of them?

If a doppelganger were to die, would anything bad happen to the original character?

Excited for this plot!

Sabine, Anna and Ophelia like this.
  5. Superman

Superman DC Universe

Punching Bag
    Race:
    Advanced Human
    ^^^^^^

seconded, as I am in fact working on a plot with ma homies of Injustice Supes murdering commie Supes and i would like to know if he can take his place for the season :333333 (when the season ends he'll disappear anywho and thank the heavens my character is ..possible to revive)

3many queshuns, pls dont punch sdfghjkl

#5 Superman, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Sabine likes this.
  6. Sabine

Sabine Moderator
    Plots & Events Division

We are going to be a bit more hands off this season so it's up to you to decide what personality your twin will have!

You will use your own character account as if they were any NPC in your threads. You also decide when the twin 'vanishes' but they will all vanish at the end of the season no matter what. They can also die and have the same abilities and weaknesses as the character.

I think small differences in appearance are okay! They should be exact in most ways though so as to be mixed up with the original character. I don't see any reason you can't trade doppelgangers as long as both players agree to the trade.

Did I answers all the questions? lol I might have gotten lost.

7. Siri

Siri je suis loser

YES HELLO question! Not to be intentionally contrarian, but is there any particular reason for the restriction of doppelgangers to be exact backstory/memory counterparts of the original (sans personality)? I had thought part of the appeal of the event was to allow for AU backstories, if the player chooses, to further spice things up. And if those AU backstories have basis in alternative canon, those versions of the characters technically couldn't be apped alongside the "original" in the first place, so no conflicts there?

I ask this because I've totally floated the idea of a super annoying millennial dabbing livestreaming Youtube blogger doppelganger of 1940s Lois, and while I'm not even 100% on the idea, the potential for it to happen is still pretty fun eh? Eh? Also because I've seen some legit stellar plots already in the works, and it'd be a shame to wipe them off the slate just for this technicality!

Nessa, Hannah, Ahsoka Tano and 2 others like this.
  8. Superman

Superman DC Universe

Punching Bag
    Race:
    Advanced Human
    Errrr regarding the clarification , I can remove all canon references if need be, bc I broke the rule without knowing about it. But like, I chose that version of the character bc I was, rightfully so, discouraged from playing the exact copy of Red Son Superman's as a doppelganger, which would be a Nazi Superman. An exact opposite copy would be politically and ideologically drawn to nazism instead of communism... U CAN SEE MY PREDICAMENT HERE.

sooo yeah, my choice was made in order to avoid making staff and players feel uncomfortable and it was discussed in discord bc AU is better than Nazi???

#8 Superman, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  9. Wisdom

Wisdom Player

Super Geek/Crazy Person
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Yeah. Just had to cut off a ton of Darth Astra's plans because of the rule, and an evil Ahsoka with no Dark Side Force powers is more ridiculous than not, seeing that Ahsoka does not embrace the Dark Side while Astra does...

10. Hunter

Hunter they're in his infinite void of darkness

Natural Disaster
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    ALSO NOT TO BE INTENTIONALLY CONTRARIAN, but i have a question about the doppelgangers too >.> i totally get that the clarification is kind of intended to keep anyone from skirting around the 'no fan AU versions' rule, which is totally understandable. i kind of assumed, however, that the doppelgangers were total pandora pantheon constructs -- not characters pulled in from alternate universes or legit 'doubles' of the existing characters, especially since they're spring season only and not available to keep or develop past may.

i'm mostly concerned because having to stick to a strict rule of 'same memories, same backstory, different personality' could be kind of limiting based on what personalities we can conceivably come up with. like, i personally am totally plotting a billion things for an evil damian wayne doppelganger, but it wouldn't make sense to me as a writer to have him be a bad guy...while having memories of spending the last 4 years rejecting his villain heritage.

i know everyone will completely respect the decision you guys make, but i just thought i'd bring up a couple points of confusion for me and others

peace <3

Nessa and Siri like this.
  11. Sabine

Sabine Moderator
    Plots & Events Division

There is a concern about making canon twins that are OP. Characters get nerfed when they enter and we can't allow anything into Pandora that would have powers beyond that of the accepted character.

Making an evil and more powerful twin that existed in canon isn't the same as making a twin of your character, which is the intention of the plot. The twins are generated in Pandora and not pulled into Pandora from canon because then you'd be technically playing two different characters.

As for the memories thing, I'm going to tag @Rani here to help answer that one

12. Superman

Superman DC Universe

Punching Bag
    Race:
    Advanced Human
    Sorry for insisting , buut speaking personally I did not make anyone stronger. Exact same powers. And since me and other players cannot play an exact copy for various reasons listed above and discussed in the chat, it would be very appreciated to get some leeway on the creation of the doppelgangers. Not another canon, the Gods created them, neat, which is us, so we could be inspired by an alternative version without copying it, ala Siri.

I'll totes be patient about this tho and thank you for ur work.

13. Hunter

Hunter they're in his infinite void of darkness

Natural Disaster
    Alignment:
    True Neutral
    would it help if we had a sign-up thread to essentially register doppelgangers? i understand if it's too much extra work for staff for one seasonal plot to power-check everyone, but it could help compromise if we can all keep track of what's going on and who's who?

Ophelia likes this.
  14. FullMoon

FullMoon That One Brazilian Guy

Being a mess
    Race:
    Trainwreck
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    I think the main problem with making twins that have the same backstory as the original is that, well, it's the backstory that shapes the character's personality, so playing a twin that has the exact same experiences but behaves as a complete opposite from the original would be... very strange to work with, to say the least.

The ideal thing to do would be to keep the twins with the exact same powerset, but have different, "fake" memories that make them behave differently from the original. At least, that's what I think.

Peach, Hannah, Nessa and 3 others like this.
  15. Nic

Nic Coordinator
    Plots & Events Division Application Division

Small Child Wrangler
    Race:
    Coffee Addict
    Hey! So we updated the rules to allow for more flexibility with memories - check 'em out! And let us know if you have any other questions. :D

Siri and Sabine like this.
  16. Sabine

Sabine Moderator
    Plots & Events Division

@Superman , the OP concern was not directed at you. It's one of the reasons we're not allowed canon twins. Some are more powerful than the original.

The backstory issue has been addressed. Check out the initial post

Siri, Hannah, Ophelia and 1 other person like this.
  17. Ophelia

Ophelia the crazy hobo loser in the corner
    Lore Division

studying stuff
    Race:
    a human
    Thank you!!! sorry for my moment of panic, i was afraid of that, im a dufus, my bad!!! All is well now <333 merciii for the clarification

Hunter and Sabine like this.
  18. Sabine

Sabine Moderator
    Plots & Events Division

No worries! The plot was in beta mode and not as clear as it should have been. I agree that history memories should be up to the player. Still watching if any more questions arise.

Go forth and write evil twins.

Hunter likes this.
  19. Mami Tomoe

Mami Tomoe Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Race:
    Puella Magi
    Okay, I'm here to bother everyone now!
    No, in all seriousness, about the "can have different memories from their counterparts" does that mean the doppelganger can know more things about the real character's world? I mean, can the doppelganger know things it's impossible for Mami to know from when she was taken?

20. Sabine

Sabine Moderator
    Plots & Events Division

Because they're created inside Pandora, I'd say no extra canon memories.

Mami Tomoe likes this.