By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Autumn is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private two blind mice short

Discussion in 'Pandopolis City' started by Matt Murdock, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Matt Murdock

Matt Murdock Marvel Universe

Lawyer at Daye Investigations
    Race:
    Human Mutate
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    @Toby Daye
    October 9

Walking through the doors for the first time invited a cacophony of sound that he hadn’t been prepared for, even though he’d done his best to prepare for anything. Matt Murdock had been on Pandora before, but its peculiar nature had taken him out for an indeterminate amount of time. Nevertheless, he knew what the brand was, and he knew exactly how he needed to fit into the overall puzzle.

Supernatural problems required supernatural solutions; he’d known that much for most of his adult life. Finding a job as a normal attorney had always created a separation in his life, and rarely did those two spheres collide. That Pandora had allowed for that was...a welcome surprise, even amongst the shit that it had otherwise brought upon his doorstep. At the very least, Toby Daye deserved to be met, even if it wasn’t a precursor for gainful employment.

Dressed in the single suit that he had been afforded since arriving, Matt cleared his throat as he walked, letting his cane idly tap on the floor. His attention was very intentionally split, from the security at the door to the receptionist to the more distant heartbeat of Toby herself, or so he had to assume based on the floor design of the building. Each of them was distinct, and for the most part, differed from what he would have associated with humanity. Even though humans held unique signatures that allowed him to easily tell them apart, there was usually a baseline of some sort--pulse, blood pressure, body warmth. Some were higher and some were lower than what he considered normal.

It was a moving goalpost, he supposed.

Free from the gauntlet he had to suffer between entering the building and verifying his appointment, Matt had arrived at an office, with a woman there to greet him. Her vitals were almost the most unique of them all, with many aspects contradicting each other; young and old; safe and otherwise. He evaluated her as he did anyone else, and found himself remaining cautious.

“Miss Daye? My name is Matthew Murdock,” he offered as a greeting, letting his hands fold comfortably over the top of his walking stick. “I called the other day about an ad you put out, and your staff was kind enough to set up this appointment. I hope this isn't an inconvenience; I'm sure you're very busy.”

Toby Daye likes this.
  2. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Toby had had an ad out online for months now. She had decided to side step hiring a law firm and felt like hiring a lawyer directly for Daye Investigations was the best bet moving forward. The best thing she could have done for her team, at least. There were more issues arising from a good number of things with all sorts of shit and Toby didn't feel like juggling a bunch of different lawyers to try and fit the problem. She often felt like she was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Finding the right legal counsel had been something entirely different. There weren't too many lawyers who wanted to work for Daye Investigations after they walked in the front door. The team was still crowded into the offices on the 5th floor in an office building in Midcourt but the finishing touches were being put on the new office down by the docks. An old converted warehouse with a faerie shallowing attached. It was everything that Toby thought she wanted for... where this company was going.

But lawyers didn't like how loud everyone was. They didn't like how ragtag and messy DI could get at times. And they didn't always like the fact that doing the right thing was more important than keeping their noses clean with the law. That one had been a stickler for a few people and Toby had handled all the interviews with a little bit of care regarding those subjects. Trying to feel a personality out before advising that there were a lot of legal mistakes when they were doing what they thought was needed.

There was a man coming in with the name Murdock. He had responded to the ad and Lena had scheduled the appointment. Toby stood up from her desk and then as she got a look at the lawyer she sort of hesitated before fully coming to her feet. Blind. Of course, that was obvious. Very obvious but Toby was thrown for a little loop all the same. Not that it mattered. She had had someone staff who made computers blow out in seconds if he used his magic or generally got frustrated. Harry was gone yet again but Toby smoothed that away and offered the man a smile even if he couldn't see it. He could likely hear it.

"Nice to meet you. Call me Toby, please. And Lena cleared my schedule. Feel free to take a seat if you'd like. The one on your left doesn't currently have any boxes or files on it." There might have been a little bit of an amused tone, but her office was... a mess. Half packed and ready to go. She didn't know if that was rude or pragmatic but if he was going to work here he was going to have to work with Godzilla and... well, Goji was going to say worse by leagues. Might as well start early so she could gauge exactly how thick of a skin Matt Murdock had.

Matt Murdock likes this.
  3. Matt Murdock

Race:
    Human Mutate
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

There were things that he could tell even without the superhuman senses...but they did help.

He could practically feel the chaotic energy as soon as he had entered the building, but it wasn’t necessarily unwelcome. Monotony had once ruled half of his life, at least in comparison to what he truly wanted out of it. There was a time when his work as Daredevil trumped everything else...and maybe it still did. Either way, if ever there was a person who could thrive in a sink-or-swim kind of environment, it was Matt Murdock, so when Toby mentioned the clutter--and which spaces held less--he wasn’t particularly bothered. Cleaning was usually a sure sign of slow business, at least as far as the office setting usually went.

“Toby, it is,” he offered a polite smile to match the one he’d been given, moving to take the seat she had indicated to him. Though he was less concerned with concealing his abilities than in interviews past, he still idly tapped the frame of the chair with his stick--a force of habit, as it was. He was quickly seated, and the stick retracted so that it could rest comfortably at his side. “And...in that vein, you’re welcome to call me Matt. Formality is fine, but too many ‘Matthews’ and I start looking around for my priest.”

Matt knew it was...impolite to do what he did during idle moments--that little window into a person’s soul through which he could glimpse just with a few of his senses. A heightened heartbeat usually indicated anxiety; a sudden increase in body heat usually meant that the person was flustered. Toby Daye was neither of those things, though he could tell that she was evaluating him all the same. Like him, she seemed to understand that words were only part of the picture.

“I’d like to cut to the chase. My understanding is that your team lacks a legal department. Back home, that sort of thing gets more dangerous by the day. Justice of this kind usually comes with a lot of questioning eyes, if you’ll pardon the expression,” Matt began, grinning at his own phrasing. Better to beat people to the punch if they don’t know how to react to the most obvious thing sitting in front of them. “With that said, I’d like to offer my services. The truth is, I knew I did from the moment I walked in.”

Toby Daye likes this.
  4. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Matt. Well that had been an easy enough exchange and Toby took a seat slightly after he did. There were a number of things around her office that one with extra senses might have noticed. A few weapons hidden around the room like she was fully expecting trouble, along with more manila folders and case files than some law offices had. They weren't the best organized but the only reason they had any amount of semblance was because of Lena. Ela had wound up being bad at paperwork too. So her assistant was more like her back up than anything else and someone who made sure Toby got out of bad situations in one piece. But Lena was still the paperwork goddess of the office and she likely always would be.

One eyebrow lifted as Matt dove into the situation at Daye Investigations with ease. Justice of this kind was an interesting notion, because there was a suggestion that he understood what else happened here. It was getting out exactly what sort of things that D.I. was capable of but Toby still found it slightly amusing that people thought they knew everything. They didn't know half the headaches she got. Or how terrible the cases could be. The amount of dead people she saw as a result of her work was absolutely depressing.

But those were details she always kept inside. Or rather, everything but the headaches. Toby was more than willing to tell someone if they were causing a headache. Like Goji. Or Vergil. Prime targets, those two. Matt did say a few interesting things and Toby couldn't help but wonder what the man was getting at. Did he really think he had a handle on D.I. just from walking through the place for a few moments? "What makes you say that?" She turned slightly in her seat and leaned back slightly, still watching him carefully. Trying to figure him out.

Toby found that most of her interviews never seemed to go a normal route. There was a lot of feeling the other person out and adjusting the conversation to whatever subject had come up. Toby had interviewed Hellboy there. Lena too. Ela as well. Barry. All of them had sat in that chair or the one to the side, depending on which one Toby had shoved shit onto that day. Matt was just the latest there but he was already different from other lawyers. He was far more interesting and he was speaking her language in a way. She just wanted to figure out what he was trying to say. Still vague enough and with the kind of tone that every good lawyer Toby had ever met, used.

Maybe there was hope but it was still far too early to tell if Matt Murdock was going to wind up working at Daye Investigations. As always, Toby had to have a reason to hire someone. She was just waiting to see what it might've been for him.

Matt Murdock likes this.
  5. Matt Murdock

Race:
    Human Mutate
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

Despite some of his past decisions, Matt valued honesty when it came to professional relationships. His extracurricular activities at the beginning of Nelson and Murdock made keeping secrets a necessity, as the people he loved would have been pitted against forces they couldn’t have possibly defended themselves against, or so he thought at the time. Before Pandora, he had promised them a new start, and trust was at the crux of that renewed relationship. He had every reason to be himself in front of Toby, but for a moment…

He hesitated, if only for a moment.

“...It’s easy to tell what kind of place this is. Your people move around a lot, but it seems to be with purpose. I can taste the alcohol in the air--some of it in this office--but I would have been a fool not to research your group before applying; you get results. And the fact that you haven’t even twitched towards any of the weapons you have stored in here shows me that you don’t want to kill me, which is nice.”

He laughed softly, if only to punctuate the punchline. At the same time, he noted that she had been listening to him intently, judging by the way she leaned forward in her seat a bit. Even if she seemed a bit odd to his senses, he was confident that he would have known if she had tried anything. He needed to trust her, or at least trust her reputation. The rest of the bullshit could come later.

“The bottom line, Toby, is that I call it ‘justice of this kind’ because it’s a goal we share. More than you know,” Matt pressed forward. “The law is necessary when it works. Good, even. But the law doesn’t always align with those ideals...it should, but it doesn’t. Bureaucracy slows down the important work, as does greed and ego. If a group of people genuinely want to do what’s right, then I can work with that...and seeing as how most of my world is flooding with superheroes, I believe I can.”

He tightened his smile and let out a sheepish laugh, lowering his head a bit as though he had caught himself. “I admit I rehearsed that, but it’s the lawyer in me. It’s what I believe all the same.”

Toby Daye likes this.
  6. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    Lawyers were always talkers. It was the whole part of their job that hinged on everything else. If you couldn't talk smooth, you couldn't be a lawyer. Not that Toby had ever wanted to be one but she had a blunt way of speaking that would put her in contempt more than anything else. Or would have, if the legal system back home had been anything like the one in Pandopolis.

The details that he suddenly went over in her office were interesting. Things that made her eyebrows lift slightly but not to the point where it might have seemed outrageous. Instead he quickly picked apart things in her office that no one should have known about outside of her crew. Lena and Ela would know where everything was. Hellboy probably had a decent idea. Dante was in here so often and... well, most of her team probably knew already, didn't they?

He continued to speak and Toby leaned forward slightly. It was obvious to her that he had developed some sort of extra set of... abilities or other despite being blind. No way he would have been able to pick out the weapons or the booze, because Toby hadn't dipped into that drawer that day. It had been a couple of days, which meant the last few days had been alright, despite everything else that might have been going on in her life at that time.

She chuckled slightly with him, utterly agreeing with that statement, but he was certainly laying on the charm. All lawyers had that in different ways too. Just like Jimmy had had his own charm, though Toby had thought the man mostly harmless. Harmless to her, at least. "How many weapons are in the room?" Instead of asking about his legal work, Toby wanted to know if he was just faking. Logically speaking, all those things could be assumed if you heard enough about Daye Investigations. There was a gun in the right top drawer of her desk. Old pistol, cared for but it hadn't been fired in a long time. A pair of knives were tucked away in one of the boxes. another knife off to the side though that was a hunting knife. Toby had also been playing with what might have been a bit of a short sword, but that was in a hidden compartment in the wall to her left. There were also the weapons currently strapped to her thighs that she always wore, though she always wore an illusion over them as well. Concealed to sight almost entirely.

"Because I gotta admit, for a full blooded human, that is an interestingly bold set of statements where I come from." There was no talking down on the subject. If anything Toby had met just as many skilled humans as she had non-humans, in all sorts of super powered ways. But she was slightly pressing onto the where do his lines lay subjects. Non-humans. There were plenty of them in this office. She intended to figure out if he had a problem with that or not. While also giving away the fact that she wasn't exactly human. "Not magic either." She would have been able to taste that in the air as soon as he walked in. No, this was something else and she was curious enough to pursue it now. One way or another, she'd at least be able to tell if he was guessing or not.

Matt Murdock likes this.
  7. Matt Murdock

Race:
    Human Mutate
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

Though he felt he was doing a good job masking it, the fact that Matt was even talking about his...abilities made him anxious. When Toby gave him an escape route by asking him to prove that his observations weren’t just cleverly disguised deductions, he nearly took it. “You caught me,” he could have said. “I was just guessing because of your staff and clientele.” It would have given him a ticket straight out of the building, but it would have kept him squarely within the comfort of keeping secrets.

He could have survived that way, he supposed. It worked for him in New York City, after all. But everything that had happened to him recently, from recovering from serious injury to taking down the city’s biggest crime lord, made him want to crawl out from under the shadows, if only for a little bit, and for one person. With that, he tapped the arm of his chair, and listened.

“There’s the gun in your desk drawer. Top right. Modern weapons are clean, but still leave residue when fired. That one hasn’t been used for a while, I don’t think,” he began, head tilted as the information bounced around the room and back to his brain. “Makes sense; you really seem to like blades. But to answer your question, I’d say there are...seven, counting the weapons on you and the one in the wall.”

With that, Matt let out a breath, and took another deep one; a small moment of recovery before returning to his cordial smile. Toby herself continued to give him something interesting to ponder, using phrases that confirmed what he had already suspected about her. If he was a “full-blooded human,” then that suggested that she was not. He didn’t know what to think about magic, but it did explain the parity between what he sensed about her in different ways. Almost like she was trying to mask something.

“I don’t offer this sort of explanation very often,” he said. “People tend to treat you like you’re different when they know that you are. I understand needing to hide it.”

Toby Daye likes this.
  8. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    She didn't know what she was asking of him. Matt seemed to be rather open with the conversation. Toby noted that, because it was something that she appreciated. If there was one thing that Toby needed from her staff it was trust. She put a lot of trust in them, because there was a lot of free reign with the investigators. Their work flow was highly based on their skill sets. She was very hands off about how things went and Toby preferred it that way, but she was the one that made the big choices for the group. It was a tricky balance but she liked to think they had cobbled something together that worked.

But it was like he said. Judgmental eyes were always going to be on them. Toby D certainly made sure of that sort of shit, didn't she? Toby was also there to reign someone in if it was needed and she was the one to make that kind of call. There were plenty of things that he would need to know if he got the job. Things about Godzilla working here, along with everyone else. The amount of violence they saw week to week could be staggering some cases and not everyone was capable of keeping up wtih that.

He quickly listed out basically every weapon that Toby currently had in her office. A few had been removed but she had... quickly picked up on the habit of having weapons around. Another thing she had picked up from her ex. She had more reasons to have them around now. She could use all of them. There was a little bit of a nod to agree with what Matt was saying regarding people treating others differently. And that wording he used? I understand needing to hide it. She could take a few guesses what he meat with that.

"Why are you sharing this up front then? I would have to say that a confession of sorts was the last thing I expected from a lawyer." There was amusement in her voice at least and that was always a good thing. If you could make Toby smile or laugh, then your foot was already half in the door. Being able to enjoy life was something she appreciated because there had been little laughter in her life leading up to... who she had become in the last year and a half. To getting Gilly back. To healing. She was far more free with those expressions than she had been before.

"What sorts of legal cases do you see arising?" Toby also wanted an impression of his gut instincts on the group and the work they did. He had said several things that suggested Matt understood but Toby didn't see any harm in steering this interview in a hypothetical way. Truth be told, Toby was already interested in giving Matt a chance, but that didn't mean the interview was over. She needed to keep checking for a few last red flags to keep her team safe.

Matt Murdock likes this.
  9. Matt Murdock

Race:
    Human Mutate
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

Toby was as cautious as he was, which was something he could definitely appreciate. Too often, particularly when he met his first would-be employer, he could sense a sinister or at minimum untoward motivation, even without his supernatural abilities. In her, he saw a person who didn’t care much for the mind-numbing aspects of an office environment, and didn’t seem to bother much with the hard sell, as though she didn’t give her popularity much thought at all. Matt felt at home in that mindset--after all, he never did anything with fame in mind. For the most part, he avoided it.

The two of them shared a moment of amusement, with Matt breathing out a soft chuckle at her insinuation. Murdock supposed that even supposed non-humans knew a lawyer who wasn’t up to any good. In fact, magic probably would have made his profession even worse. Plenty of ways to cheat with that stuff.

“Even the worst of my profession treat the truth like a currency. Pointless lies are bad for business,” he explained with a wry smile. “But more than anything, I hope I can prove to you that I have more to offer than just words. This is a job interview, after all.”

With that, his potential employer cut to the heart of the matter--why her business needed a legal team in the first place. At first glance, a private investigation firm would normally dole out cash for attorneys as needed, but there was nothing normal about Daye Investigations. That much was immediately evident with even the most shallow research. When he thought about it, the most accurate comparison he could draw up in his mind was The Avengers, and God knew how much they needed legal protection. Stark alone was a lawsuit waiting to happen, and that was before they dropped a whole city.

“Civil suits, mostly. Damages, emotional duress. Collateral damage, to sum it up in a phrase,” Matt explained, his tone returning to a more formal tone. “I’m sure I don’t need to tell you how fickle the average citizen can be. Most people aren’t concerned with anything that doesn’t disturb their own personal sphere of influence. They need the streets to be just safe enough to feel safe. Interfere with their day-to-day, and you open yourself up to a lot of the frivolous lawsuits you read about in the news. Even if you’re out there specifically protecting them, someone needs to protect you.”

Toby Daye likes this.
  10. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    He did have a way with words. He used a variety of vocab that most people wouldn't have. Lots of descriptors and meanings, but that was again, something she found in lawyers. Good story tellers. That was something that normally would have put her on edge but the fact that Matt had started with his own confession had certainly helped Toby think of it in a positive manner. She offered him a bit of a smile and nodded again, wondering if he was able to see that difference or not. The fact that he could pick the weapons out was amazing, so probably better safe to say he could.

Walking around with that cane, he had had all the right body movements down. The correct little tells that suggest he really was without sight. He was just aware in another way? Fuck if Toby knew. She'd likely think herself in circles if she kept along those lines. Better safe than sorry though. She couldn't help but wonder how the rest of the team would react to him. Some of the more lively members were certainly going to be interesting. She'd bet money Goji would find some way to be ridiculous about it too.

Matt was quick to list off all the normal ones. A little bit of her humor had floated away while thinking through some recent lists. Those were... yeah, that was how to sum it up. Her next breath turned into a sigh because yes, the average citizen could be plenty fickle. Toby had lucked out in a lot of ways by building up her reputation as a straight shooter. You hired her, she'd be real with you, even if it meant you decided to stop using her services. Someone needs to protect you. Right, that was basically hitting the nail on the head, wasn't it?

"That's pretty much it. I have a very open door policy with my team. They're supposed to give me a heads up if they wind up doing something that might require the help of a lawyer." Not exactly saying illegal but Toby had... well that was what she was talking about. And in a way she was tossing the warning out there. That includes you. Toby had been hired by lawyers regarding other lawyers before. There were plenty of times lawyers got in trouble with the law. If he had those kinds of abilities and he was applying at Daye Investigations? Toby wasn't going to assume jack shit with this. That includes you. He signed up, that rule would apply to him too.

One hand lifted to toss hair out of her face and then she glanced towards her office door. "We've got a varied bunch here. We've also had some recent losses." Because that always seemed to effect the mood around the office. "Via Pandora." If he had been here for any amount of decent time, he would know that meant the vines had taken them. Nero. Harry. They were gone. "I have an office open that you can take temporarily until we move to the new location by the docks." Because it did sound like she was going to be hiring him.

Matt Murdock likes this.
  11. Matt Murdock

Race:
    Human Mutate
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

Matt was reasonably certain that he and Toby were on the same page. His confession, as she had put it, wasn’t one that he made lightly, and not something he would outright explain without a reason to. That she was able to pick it up well enough to know he could discern a smile and nod from the person sitting across from him was a plus. To that end, he returned both gestures in kind.

The next observation he made came when Toby’s entire disposition changed when it came time to talk about lawsuits. Something he had said, or perhaps all of it, must have hit home, and he wasn’t surprised about it at all. When she had told him that there was a “varied bunch,” he realized that it was likely a massive understatement. With a group reputed to deal with the supernatural element, there had to be a few rough and tumble figures that conventional peacekeeping couldn’t account for.

The way Toby had phrased it made it clear to him that it was a warning, if not an outright challenge. His guess was that they weren’t allowed to willfully do anything illegal, but the right thing was always paramount. Considering that he had spent many of his nights correcting the many injustices he faced daily with his fists, he couldn’t exactly argue. As he had told Foggy once, there’s always so much that the law could do, and doing what he did was the only way he could sleep at night.

Matt was ready for them, or so was the thought. He could tell that they were of a like mind. The only catch was the nature of Pandora itself, to which he could only respond with a grave nod. Pandora had even kicked him around a few times, so he knew what she meant immediately.

“If you’re giving me an office, that must mean I have the job?” he asked, because...he wanted to actually hear the offer. Call him old-fashioned, he thought.

#11 Matt Murdock, Sep 15, 2019 at 11:06 PM
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 11:11 PM
    Toby Daye likes this.
  12. Toby Daye

Toby Daye October Daye

Private Investigator
    Race:
    Changeling
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    She had changed up the way she was speaking and she had made up her mind. Toby had always thought she was a little easy to please in a wave of different ways. Her instinct was telling her that he was the one to hire and Toby's instincts were pretty damn good... as long as romance wasn't involved. Everywhere else in her life she was able to have a decent head on her shoulders and she was pretty damn certain that Matt was the one to hire for Daye Investigations.

He asked directly about the job and Toby grinned. "Yes. I'll have a contract drafted up for an official offer. I'll need to know your salary expectations as well." She had only hired a lawyer second hand. When she needed to go to court, basically. Those hourly rates seemed exorbitant to her but that was because she was hiring their services and not hiring... them. It was confusing but Toby was certain they could figure it out.

"Your office until the move. Need more space and less potential collateral damage. Should make your job a little bit easier." Five people had died in this office, sitting in the lobby while waiting for their meetings with various employees, some had been waiting on Toby herself. There was a little bit of weight behind those last few words because Toby still felt guilty about that. She had not expected to be attacked in broad daylight at her office. She had thought that their reputation was enough to keep them decently safe. How stupid she had been.

She held off on mentioning who was going to be his biggest headache. Until Matt had signed the papers, he really wasn't an employee, and there was a certain line that Toby refused to cross until it was inked. "You can start as soon as you're ready to. I've already got some lawyers working on a couple of things, but I'll request you be added to the team so you can be brought up to speed on the situations. Tell me if you think you'd like to take over or if you think the lawyer is competent enough to handle it on their own." Toby had people she went to but she was going to trust her in house lawyer over anyone else. That was the entire point of having one on staff. "When would you like your start date to be?" She could cobble together the details and then Lena would help her pen up everything else so they could email him the documents by tomorrow.