By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Autumn is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private Two Sides of the Same Coin

Discussion in 'Pandopolis' started by Pannacotta Fugo, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Pannacotta Fugo

Pannacotta Fugo JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    @Recette Lemongrass

September 18th, Year 109

Fugo wasn't having the best of days. Ever since he had encountered his old allies in Pandora, and subsequently let them into his home, his life had been thrown into disarray. The youth couldn't claim that he hated them, but he definitely did hate how difficult they could be. From loud music in the middle of the night to random animals being conjured into existence, his property had become far more irritating than it had any right to be.

And so the teen had found himself spending more and more time out of the house. There was no peace to be found there, after all. Down the streets, around each corner, he walked aimlessly. No point in making a choice, not when he had no goal in mind.

Eventually, he even found himself leaving the city entirely. Not that he was planning on going too far. Just away. And it might just have ended there, with him spending a bit of time doing nothing and then returning home, if Fugo's eyes were just a little less keen. But, because he was always observing the world around him, he caught the glint of something metallic in the grass.

Leaning down to look at the item that had caught his attention, Fugo saw what looked to be a coin. It seemed to be wedged in a small indentation in the ground. Interestingly enough, it seemed to be made of gold. Not that he could be sure just by looking at it. Not feeling suspicious about this, he reached out his hand and picked it up. His face twisted into a frown upon realizing that it was incomplete, a coin split cleanly down the middle, but he recognized that if it was really made of gold he could still pawn it off.

He had no idea what was about to happen.

Recette Lemongrass likes this.
  2. Recette Lemongrass

Recette Lemongrass Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Item Vendor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Recette really liked living with the Chargers. It was like having a great, big family of adventurers. There was no way she could start feeling lonely, and even though Link had been insistent that she needed to protect herself before going out with adventurers, she still got enough items to sell at Recettear whenever she could.

This little adventure had started when Recette was finding some more valuable items to sell. She had heard rumors about a crypt that no one had managed to get to before, even though people didn't stay dead and didn't need crypts in Pandora. It was weird, but she wasn't questioning it.

The adventure had gone really well, all things considered. She was unscathed, and her adventurer didn't need anything more than a good night's rest. They even managed to get a good haul of items, from a few rare potions to jewels to weapons and armor.

It was the smallest, least obvious item that ended up being the most memorable, however. A coin, or half of one at least. It seemed to have been cut straight down the middle. Where the other half was, she couldn't begin to guess. She searched for a while, but the crypt was empty.

She doubted anyone would want only one half of a coin, but decided to keep it with her, anyway. Maybe she'd be able to have it melted down? She'd figure it out later.

The next day, after she'd stored all of her new items away for safe keeping, she realized that the half-coin had somehow been put back into her pocket. Or, maybe she never took it out? She thought she had, but maybe she was wrong.

For the next week, she kept trying to put it away, only for it to just show back up in her pocket. It didn't seem to be doing anything else, however. At least, not until she was doing inventory again, and felt the slightest twinge of something in the back of her head.

"What was that?" she wondered.

Pannacotta Fugo likes this.
  3. Pannacotta Fugo

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    Fugo stumbled back, dropping the coin back onto the dirt, when a strange thought shot through his head. His initial thought in reaction to that was, interestingly enough, identical to what had startled him. "What was that?" he thought in response. There was something very unsettling about the thought.

It had felt almost... alien. Voices in his head weren't normal. He technically did have something else living in his head, but Purple Haze was his stand. It was as much a part of him, unfortunately, as his own mind was. And it didn't speak. It was just there, like a limb he could call on. It wouldn't produce coherent thoughts like that.

Of course, he might have just been jumping to conclusions. That was a problem people often called him out for, thinking too hard about things. Nothing said the mind couldn't mess up once in a while. "It's probably nothing," he thought to himself, looking down at the ground to find the coin again...

Except the metal semicircle was gone. "Where the hell did it go?" he asked himself in his head. There wasn't a lot of grass here, it should have stood out easily among the dirt. He definitely wasn't going to put in that much effort to find it, though. Half a coin couldn't be worth that much.

4. Recette Lemongrass

Item Vendor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

How strange. Recette wasn't sure what to make of the feeling, or the sudden voice that seemed to join her own in her mind. When her question was matched by a similar one, and a dismissal at what happened, she felt her clipboard slip out of her hands as she jumped in surprise and yelped.

"Oh?" she thought again, "that was weird. Is... is someone else there?" The voice in her head even said a bad word. That couldn't have been her own thoughts, she didn't like using naughty language.

5. Pannacotta Fugo

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    "What....?" Fugo thought simply upon hearing a decidedly foreign thought in his head. That was definitely not him! It was hard to discount it, now that it happened again. "A stand?" he continued to think, looking around the surrounding landscape very carefully. There wasn't anyone in the area, though...

Of course, assuming this was the work of a stand was very risky. Pandora had way more bullshit going on than just stands, after all. Still, it was what he was used to. And, if he was to put his mind to work some more, he could spot one obvious trigger for this... he couldn't call it an attack yet, but it was definitely a phenomenon.

It was that suspicious coin! There was no other explanation forthcoming! The timing was too perfect. Trying to ignore the voice in his head for the moment, Fugo began to dig through his pockets for his phone. His plan was to make a call, inform the others about this, but then his hand met a familiar metal semicircle. "There's no way..." he thought, withdrawing the item from his pocket. "I stand corrected. How did it get back here?"

His brow furrowed as he thought about this. There was no way in hell that he had put it there, so it had to have gotten in his pocket by some other means. Experimentally, he swung out his arm and tossed the coin as far as he could...

And almost immediately found it in the same pocket. "How in the name of god did it...!"

Fugo instantly threw it again, only to find it back in his pocket. The brain on the other end of this connection would suddenly hear a lot of incoherent angry noises as Fugo lost his temper for a few seconds.

6. Recette Lemongrass

Item Vendor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Recette's mind just kind of went blank for a few seconds as she listened in on the other side of the connection. It was all so startling, she didn't know what to think. When the other person thought about the half-coin, she pulled her side out of her pocket, connections being built.

When the other person lost their temper, she couldn't help but jump slightly in surprise, letting out a soft, "eep!" That was a lot of mad, and she wasn't quite sure what to do about it, mostly since this was all so confusing.

After a second, she reconsidered. Maybe she could help! Gently, she tried to send her own thoughts out to the other guy, trying to see if it was more than just idle thoughts the other picked up.

"Um, hi?" she thought, "are you ok? I mean, you just seem really, really mad. Maybe you should try smiling instead, that helps me when I want to feel something bad!"

7. Pannacotta Fugo

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    Even through his fit of rage, Fugo could still notice the voice in his head. It was definitely real, that much was clear at this point. Not a single part of his mind could process things that positively when he was in one of his moods. And the words didn't seem hostile either.

The momentary distraction from the coin was enough cause for him to come to his senses. As fast as a storm, his rage abated. His thoughts moved rapidly, going through the various details he knew so far. The person on the other side wasn't trying to portray themselves as hostile, though he couldn't yet be sure if it was a trick. The coin wouldn't leave his possession... to his displeasure, it had found itself back in his pockets again. Three, things he was thinking were going to the person communicating with him.

That was a very unsettling thought. He had a lot of secrets, as well as things that would simply be inconvenient for others to know. But there must be limits, because he wasn't hearing a constant stream of thoughts from this mystery individual. Assuming the link worked the same both ways, he could assume not everything was laid bare to the other party.

"Stop that! I'm perfectly fine, interloper," he tried thinking clearly, keeping focus on what he wanted to communicate. Despite his desire to be careful with his words, though, it was impossible to suppress one's own thoughts. General anger and frustration was obvious in every idea that crossed his mind. "Anyone in their right mind would get upset dealing with something like this!"

He had no idea what sort of thoughts were getting sent through, though. Words seemed fine, but it was impossible to tell if those were being translated exactly or being interpreted by him in a similar but not exact meaning. And what of images? Fugo focused on visualizing a blade of grass, trying to keep it to just an image devoid of any words. He could then find out if the image was sent.

Determine limits and rules, and work from there. That was the proper way to deal with this.

8. Recette Lemongrass

Item Vendor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Recette was surprised and a little saddened by the response. Mostly, though, she was confused. "I-int-interloper?" she repeated in her head, "is... is that a bad thing? It sounds like the kind of word Tear would use, and I usually don't understand what she's saying either. Like that ti-!"

She was really close to going on a tangent about Tear, but was distracted by the sudden image of a blade of grass flashing across her eyes. It only made her more confused and worried. She wouldn't be able to run Recettear right if she kept seeing and hearing things.

"Uh, that's a nice grass?" she thought, a little concerned about whoever she was talking to. Maybe they just really, really liked plants.

9. Pannacotta Fugo

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    The thought "I am surrounded by idiots," rose to the forefront of Fugo's mind unbidden at the voice's lack of understanding. Why couldn't people just maintain a healthy vocabulary? Was it really that goddamn difficult?! He chose to not define the words he used, out of petty spite.

Wait, no, that wasn't important right now! He fought down his anger, which was already beginning to bubble up again, and started thinking through what had just occurred. "So exact wording is preserved in the transmission?" he thought to himself. "But it can't be completely exact... some sort of translation needs to be happening, unless I've been... tied to someone who speaks the same languages as I do. Same mechanics that translate spoken words, then?" This was making his head hurt. There were too many factors to consider, and he didn't know which ones would actually be productive pursuits.

One important fact did remain, though, and it made him retract his earlier opinion that he hated being stuck with someone with a less robust vocabulary. "Couch thoughts in complex terms to obscure them, alright."

Of course, he was totally aware this mystery person had probably heard that thought. That was acceptable. "So you saw it, then?" he sent the rhetorical question. "We can communicate with images if needed. That's useful. Will help with this next bit." Fugo once again withdrew the coin half from his pocket. "So, does this look familiar?" He focused on the metal semicircle, trying to picture it as clearly as possible in his head.

10. Recette Lemongrass

Item Vendor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

"Hey," Recette protested, mentally, "I'm not an idiot. I can think up tons of stuff. Can you run a whole business all by yourself? I bet you can't. Well, not completely by myself, I always had Tear to help, but she still made me do a lot of the counting and stuff."

Whoever's brain she was reading, they liked to talk a lot. She could only sit back in her own head as they thought through the exact wording of things they shared. It didn't seem real important to her, but maybe they'd come up with something. Although, that only something seemed to be how to confuse her, which wasn't nice.

Eventually, the conversation returned to the coin that probably caused it all. "Yeah!" she replied, eagerly, pulling it out of her pocket and concentrating on it really hard, hoping they'd be able to see it too, "I found it in a dungeon a week ago. It keeps coming back to my pocket, no matter where I put it!"

11. Pannacotta Fugo

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    A business owner? Really? He shouldn't be so surprised, people could have odd talents. Giorno was able to control the whole mafia and make it more successful than ever with no prior experience, so anything could happen. "Sounds like there was a division of labor there, then," Fugo thought wryly, smirking ever so slightly. Brains and face of the organization, something like that. "Like I couldn't do something like that with help." He didn't want to stick to that line of thought, though, or else he might accidentally send something about exactly what line of work he was used to.

If there was any silver lining here, it was that he at least had a moment to think. There were plenty of people he knew who would make this sort of situation a living hell. There was no constant cacophony of thoughts from the other side, as it was now.

Seemed like they both were suffering from the same thing, rather than one of them being the cause. Not that he was... really convinced that wasn't the case, but confirmation was nice. "I see, now could you try to show me... oh, grazie," he thought, about to ask for a detailed image before he was provided one with no prompting. From what he could tell, it fit pretty well with his own half. "Looks like our situations are the same. I just found my piece a few minutes ago. I guess that was what started this... connection."

Alright, Fugo was finally beginning to get his composure back. Aggressive behavior was something he slipped into easily, but he could calm down just as fast. "That still doesn't tell us what to do about this, though. An attack like this isn't dangerous, but I don't think either of us want this to continue indefinitely."

12. Recette Lemongrass

Item Vendor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

"Yeah," Recette agreed, easily, "we worked together really well. She's really smart, and she's been teaching me everything I need to know. Or... she was, until I got brought here." She really tried not to get too upset about missing her friend. She knew it was only a matter of time until they were reunited, and until then, she found new friends, it was fine!

At least the conversation with her unintended mind-buddy was going smoother now that the surprise had worn off and they were able to actually think things through. It made it much easier for them to work together to find an explanation.

Recette was quiet, turning the coin around in her hands a few times. They only had the coins themselves to give them any hint about what to do, so they had to think smart. "I would've said maybe we can melt them somewhere, but if that doesn't work, we'd have really, really hot metal in our pockets. Maybe we just need to put them together? This could be some way for the coins to tell us they want to be together again."

13. Pannacotta Fugo

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    It wasn't anything new to hear about someone separated from others by Pandora, but it did feel slightly more somber when it was brought up in a... conversation, of sorts, then just an ever present fact of life here. Fugo couldn't relate, though. Pandora had taken him at a point in his life when he was completely and utterly alone, and had even given a second chance with the allies he had abandoned.

His own issues would come up inevitably, as part of his stream of consciousness, if he tried responding to that part, though. Those weren't things he was comfortable letting friends know, let alone a complete stranger he was forced to interact with.

Best to focus on the task at hand. "I'm not too fond of having molten gold on my person, either," he mentally agreed. "It's decent, as secondary plans go, but the burns that could cause would be unpleasant."

Combining the halves, though... that wasn't bad. Halves belong together, right? Of course, it could also just open the way for something more sinister to occur. But no better options were presenting themselves. "Coins can't have wills of their own," he noted somewhat scornfully, clenching his own half of the item in his hand. "There's no way for them to want to be together. But it still isn't a bad idea. Putting it together could at least give a clue, even if it doesn't stop this."

Hopefully this mystery person wasn't too far away. Though why would she be? There was no reason for the two halves to be separated by an incredibly large distance, right? "I'm in Pandopolis. Where are you?"

14. Recette Lemongrass

Item Vendor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

It had been a little hard for Recette, going from such a large group of friends to almost no one, even if Richter was really nice. Then he left, and she was really sad for a while. But then Link showed up, so it was all fine. Really!

"Yeah, not nice," she responded, wincing. Link had been really clear he didn't want her to be in danger. There was no telling how upset he'd be if she went back home with a bunch of really bad burns.

Even though they were close to getting to a conclusion, she couldn't help but be sidetracked. "They could!" she insisted, "magic items sometimes want stuff. Like, when a sword wants to be found by the right king, and won't let anyone else remove it. The coin could be the same way."

Anyway, there were more important matters. "I live with the Bull's Chargers," she said, "and we're in the Crystal Vales."

15. Pannacotta Fugo

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    The thought of the types of burns molten gold in his pocket could cause was enough to cause several... visceral images to surface in Fugo's mind. For a single moment, Recette would be able to see the image of a person looking half melted and covered in blisters. One of the enemies that had the misfortune of being taken care of by Fugo. That man probably would have preferred burning to that, but the end results were similar.

Of course, he wasn't even aware that that image had transmitted. This connection was too fickle, and it was hard to really be so aware of his stream of thought. "How much that counts as desire rather than programmed in directives, even assuming such things actually exist, is veering too far into philosophy for me to care," the teen stated plainly. "There's more important things to worry about now. Let's just drop it."

He understood the part about the Crystal Vales... intellectually, at least. Emotionally it was quite irritating. "The hell? Why in god's name were these halves so far apart?!" he thought instantly about the coins, starting to get a bit angry at nothing in particular. As for the more specific bit of information... he had no clue what the Bull's Chargers were.

"What are those? Let's see here..." Fugo thought to himself, rather than intentionally directing it at his "conversation partner" on the other side. His hands began typing on his phone, which thankfully still had service. "A mercenary group, huh? Didn't know organizations like that existed here." Nor would he have guessed this childish mystery individual would be associated with them.

"Well, where should we meet then? Do I come to you or do you come to me? Or should we pick a neutral meeting place?" he asked. His thoughts kept racing after that, going through permutations after permutations. His job had always been to stay rational and make plans, and it was just old habit for Fugo to think far too much about something that shouldn't be difficult at all.

16. Recette Lemongrass

Item Vendor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

The images the other person sent made Recette feel a little ill. Even if she'd been thinking of it herself, to see it so vividly wasn't really pleasant. "I... don't think that'd be very good," she thought, hoping he'd take the hint and stop showing her.

She almost made an argument back, but he did say he wanted to drop it, so she did. All she could do was say, "I dunno, I'm not good at that kinda stuff."

Why the coins were so distant was a good question. "It's probably some really weird reason we wouldn't even get if we were told," she said, "magic can be confusing a lot of the time." Especially for people like her, but that went without saying.

"Oh, they're the best!" she excitedly replied, "they took me in when my big brother got sent back, and I was stuck in the orphanage! I can still run my store, and get all sorts of good items, and have a whole, big family."

"Um,"
    she considered her options, knowing that whatever they decided, they definitely needed to do something. "I guess anywhere with the portal networks would be easy to get to, right?"

17. Pannacotta Fugo

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    It suddenly struck Fugo how dangerous this link really was. He had a lot of things he didn't want others to know, after all, but those same haunting secrets were constantly floating around in his head. It could be said he never stopped thinking about them. And now they were laid bare. What would he do if this person found out that those corpses he had automatically thought about were caused by him?

He forcibly calmed his thoughts and moved past it. Dwelling would only make him think about it more. "Just so long as we can get this damn thing to stop bothering us, I'll begrudgingly accept any ridiculousness that accompanies it," he thought, not being entirely honest with himself. It was likely he'd fly into a rage multiple times in the near future over all of this.

Still, this was quite the character he had gotten stuck with. While they seemed simple, and their thoughts clearly used more immature language, the stranger apparently was deeply involved with a famous band of mercenaries. And got supplies for their store from said band. "Impressive," the teen thought, unintentionally sending that simple assessment through the connection.

He felt ever so slightly embarrassed that he hadn't even thought about the portals. To his credit, he hadn't actually used them even once yet... but forgetting such an important asset to travel existed was unlike him. "Alright, that makes sense. So, Pandopolis City or Cascade Bay then. I'd prefer it if you came to me, rather than the other way around," Fugo communicated. Even if there was little reason to suspect anything dangerous, he'd vastly prefer to be in familiar terrain for this meeting.

18. Recette Lemongrass

Item Vendor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Thoughts and feelings were sent across the connection, all too quickly for Recette to really process, much less pick up on. She could only get progressively more confused, especially when the other side seemed to abruptly stop. How weird.

"Well, that's great!" she replied with a cheer, "we just need to focus on getting our heads back and we'll be fine!" Optimism was one of her favorite ways of looking at things, and she was more than happy to be the optimist of the two.

She was even more cheerful as the stranger complimented her. It was obviously impossible for him to tell, but she was grinning pretty widely when he did. "Thanks!" she said, "I've been working real hard to get here!" True, she wouldn't have had the opportunity if not for Link being so nice, but that was beside the point.

Someone else might've gotten annoyed at how the stranger was bossing her around, but Recette decided to just take it in stride. "Ok!" she said, "it'll take me a bit to get over to Cascade Bay, but I'll be there before you know it!"

19. Pannacotta Fugo

Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral
    He hated being paired with an optimist. They were always so illogical, focused on the inevitability of a good outcome to the point where they refused to even plan for the worst. Still... at the very least this one was being proactive. "As soon as we can manage," he mentally agreed. His mind was already turning over other possibilities if things didn't work out just from them meeting each other.

Ignoring the response to a compliment he hadn't meant to communicate, Fugo began to walk back towards Pandopolis City. "See to it that you do," the teen thought brusquely. "I'll be near the portals when you arrive. No need to force you to seek me out after coming all the way over." True to his words, he started going through directions to the area on his phone's map app. Brief flashes of him reading the instructions would cut in and out through the transmission.

20. Recette Lemongrass

Item Vendor
    Race:
    Human
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

"Alright, I'll be there as soon as I can!" Recette said before pocketing the coin again and heading out to find someone to escort her to Cascade Bay. It wasn't too far away, but Link usually preferred to have someone watch out for her. There were lots of Chargers anyway, so it was fine.

In no time at all, she had gotten herself to the Bay and waved goodbye to her escort as she walked through the portal to Pandopolis. She hadn't actually visited the city before, so she was partially excited for the chance to see the sights, even if she had more important business.

Once she got there, she realized they'd forgotten an important piece of business. "Ok, I'm here," she thought, "I, uh, forgot to ask what you look like..." There were a lot of people around, and she couldn't go asking if they were connected to her mentally.