By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Summer is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private Tyger, tyger, burning bright

Discussion in 'Cascade Bay' started by Magiano, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    20th March
    @King Ezekiel

It had been quite a while since Ezekiel had offered to show him the zoo and his friend, Shiva. Magiano wasn't the best at keeping schedules and the other should've already noticed through the work in the theater group, that while he was likely to show up if interested, be devoted to the task, there just was no way to contact him. Not without a phone, a home address or so much as a place he frequented for certainty. The boy was a drifter through and through.
    But he remembered. And eventually, when the weather was once again warm enough to walk around outside without freezing solid – really, he preferred the heat of a desert any day – he searched Ezekiel out on his own. With him being the political leader of the Vales, not that hard to arrange, though it may be a bit inconvenient to just wait for him outside an building... but there Magiano was, clad in his usual colorful clothing, sitting on a windowsill, the violin case at his feet. Ezekiels attention he simply got with a shrill whistle, though the golden rings decorating his dreadlocks blinking might help, grinning at him. “Your offer about that zoo still standing?”

King Ezekiel likes this.
  2. King Ezekiel

King Ezekiel The Walking Dead

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Wizard(ish). Werelion(ish).
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Ezekiel stepped out of one of the myriad governmental buildings that filled the humble Cascade Bay, pleased to feel warm sunshine upon his brow. He had actually booked time off work this day, but had been called in briefly to resolve conflict that had arisen between two employees in the finances division. One had unfortunately burned the others toast during breakfast.

The flash of bright light, coupled with a shrill whistle ensnared Ezekiel’s attention. He turned his hoary head, glimpsing the roguish Magiano perched on a window ledge like a colorful bird, a violin case at his feet. What a pleasant surprise indeed! Might he play him his violin? But nay. He asked a question about the zoo, which was just as good as music and plays.

“Most definitely. The offer still stands,” Ezekiel grinned broadly. “When would you like to go?”

Magiano likes this.
  3. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Good – Ezekiel had noticed him, got greeted by a grin back. And typical for the boy he wasn't sitting still long, pulling his feet up on the ledge and jumped down, picking up his violin and jogging over all in one motion. Even if this was about a trip to a zoo, he never went anywhere without his instrument, whatever it might be at the moment. The violin had become the one of his choosing and a appreciated companion.
    “I'm here now” he answered with a shrug, this the main reason he was here. Of course they could always reschedule, Magiano didn't exactly had any specific plans, ever, but then again that exactly proofed to be a problem when friends never knew where to find him. Weeks could go by without a word and it was an question where he lived at all.

King Ezekiel likes this.
  4. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Ezekiel chuckled mellowly at the young man’s bluntness and spontaneity.

“Fate is surely in your favor this day!” he remarked good-naturedly. “I had booked the day off work, so we can go there without responsibilities getting in our way! We will have to take a portal to the zoo. Let me show you the fastest route to our travel network.”

He hastened off down a winding path, gesturing at Magiano to follow him. The area was so quiet that Ezekiel fancied he could get away with practicing his magic without alarming innocent civilians, or harming them grievously by accident. A terrible possibility indeed!

“Would you like to see a new spell?” he asked Magiano, eagerly awaiting his reply.

Magiano likes this.
  5. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Fate, coincidence... it didn't really matter. They could do it now and that was enough to have him grinning. Magiano didn't had the heart to tell Ezekiel that he knew the routes from all his own travels. Walking meant you got to meet more people, see more things, but sometimes faster was better. Quick and nimble he followed, carrying the violin around long become second nature and no hindrance. “Always!” he agreed on the show of some more magic, raising his hands and conjuring the fire ball the other had made the last time. “I still remember this one!”

King Ezekiel likes this.
  6. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

He chuckled mellowly, raising his eyebrows to indicate that he was impressed with Magiano. “I am sure you will have trouble replicating this new incantation.”

Ezekiel held out his hand, furrowing his forehead as he drew moisture out of the air to form a golf ball sized teardrop, which hovered above his open palm. But that wasn’t the end of the spell!

He flexed his fingers into the loose shape of a rose head, water quivering into the form of a hulking animal with baggy ears and sweeping tusks. But that wasn’t the end of the spell!

Perspiration shining on his forehead, he motioned with his index finger and part of the elephant’s long trunk broke off to lengthen into a giraffe’s torso, neck and head. It grew four spindly legs, its tail separating to form another teardrop. That one wriggled and writhed into the shape of a monkey, its serpentine tail rolling out like a stream. But that wasn’t the end of the spell!

Panting heavily from exertion, Ezekiel waved his hand and sent the three liquid animals floating around Magiano’s head. The elephant swung its trunk, the giraffe galloped on the spot, while the monkey hopped up and down and beat its chest.

Magiano likes this.
  7. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Magiano only grinned, knowing that his level of skill didn't depend on him at all. All he had to do was watch with his temporary slitted eyes, taking in the threads glimmering in the air, shifting as the spell got worked. Fascinating it was, had he always liked illusions of any kind. He didn't knew the animals, but that didn't matter for the how-to.
    Laughing he let go of the fire, tipping at the figures around him, pulling his own orbs of water to grow into copies of the animals, joining the circling dance that he shifted to between them. It took just as long to grow the orbs into animals, but he skipped the between-stages and showed no sign of exertion at display. “I can do it just as well as you. Always. That's how mine works.”

King Ezekiel likes this.
  8. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Magiano replicated the spell flawlessly, which was both awe-inspiring and dispiriting indeed. Ezekiel had spent many months preparing and practicing and fine-tuning the enchantment, and the young man had learnt it in mere seconds! He had not even broken out into a sweat!

Ezekiel released his spell with a weary exhalation, his figures losing their forms and falling down upon him, thoroughly soaking his brow and dreadlocks. He was fortunate that he could not create bigger shapes out of water as it had saved him the embarrassment of being drenched from head to foot.

“You are truly a god,” Ezekiel conceded with a humble dip of his damp, hoary head.

By the time they had reached a portal, he had dried off under the splendid sun. Its form was reminiscent of a phone booth, encircled on all sides by glass walls, which gleamed and sparkled in the cheerful light. A control panel stood within.

Ezekiel tugged open the door with a gloved hand, theatrically gesturing Magiano in first.

Magiano likes this.
  9. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    The boy felt a bit bad at having Ezekiel so deflated at his show. But it wasn't really his fault, he couldn't do things much different than the one he copied from – change the details, opt to do less, sure, that simply reduced the fun he had. Not do it worse or with the same effort though. It just was out of his control, the mimicking having its own rules. Too sudden to chime in and keep the spell going to avoid getting wet, he opted to not tell the other that the same way of pulling water out of air could be used to dry oneself. Not right now. And the weather was nice after all.
    “Oh no, no!” he repulsed the idea of being a god, raising his hands in a quick gesture to shoo off evil. “I can only redo what I see. And just as long as I am around the original user, I don't get to keep it. That's merely a unique power to have, but it does not put me on par with the powers that created us. And, at the end, no mortal could withstand Moritas call.” Not that the young magician was unhappy with his position or power, he quite enjoyed the possibilities, to have something new every time. It was so much like traveling, seeing places and taking bits away with you, leaving changed.
    Of course, being medieval, he'd never seen phone booths before here, but he already knew the portal network and went in unbothered by the strangeness, only tapping the glass lightly. “I always wonder how they make those. The ones from many colorful bits are prettier, I think, but here they don't have frames all between!” How easy it was to find fascinating things all over. “You've ever found something here you didn't thought possible? That you wish to take back with you someday?”

King Ezekiel likes this.
  10. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Yet again Magiano had Ezekiel chuckling mellowly! He could spend the rest of the day answering those questions, but then they would never get to glimpse the zoo!

“Why Magiano!” he exclaimed stridently. “Nearly everything here is impossible to my mundane mortal mind! Magic does not exist in my realm! Nor do faeries or leprechauns! Or goblins and phantoms! Such things are but mere myths and legends in my land.”

Except the fell dead. To think that corpses rising from the grave had once been impossible in his home realm. He wished with all his heart that this was still the case this day.

“It would make a much shorter list if I told you what I wouldn’t take back to my land,” Ezekiel grinned broadly at him, although after a small hesitation, his dark features furrowed into a sorrowful frown. “Honestly… I feel terrible confessing such a thing, but I… I do not particularly want to return to my home realm. Do you feel the same way? From the tales you’ve told me in the past, your own realm does not sound very joyous and light.”

Guilt nibbled at his heart, nay, his very soul. What kind of king was he abandoning his loyal subjects in the middle of a war with the wicked tyrant, Negan, and his band of scoundrels? He should have used up every breath in his body, seeking a way to reunite with them.

Ezekiel brooded over his repellent shortcomings as he operated the control panel, the street and buildings beyond the gleaming glass yielding with a pale shimmer to tall trees and rolling fields. The entrance of the zoo stood before them, marked out by towering statues of an elephant, giraffe and monkey, which were constructed from an unfathomable number of popsicle sticks.

Magiano likes this.
  11. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    It was interesting to see how they both came from not so different places yet saw things vastly different. For Magiano nothing was impossible as long as he saw it in front of him, whether it was new or known. He took the whole world in with that ease, carefree, shrugged at this too. “If it's stories, it's not unknown. And knowing makes it real.” The musician was speaking from him there, the one who spread stories to the last breath, lived from them.
    Still he could listen. “It is not” he agreed on how his world was far from here. “And I've got no one there to wait for me nor any responsibility to it.” Certainly made it easier to not think on it too much. “But... it's still my – the place I come from.” Home would be the wrong word as the boy never really had one, not even here. Neither in the way of people nor in a fixed place. His intention to ever return back to his birthplace was non-existent too. Cutting all bonds though was not what he'd do either.
    Arriving at the zoo had him distracted again, as every new place tended to do and he dashed out to look at the figures. “I know those” Magiano exclaimed, pointing at the elephant. “The temple had mosaics of them, from the times where caravans still passed through our lands from behind the sea of sand.” Majestic beings from what he heard, the stories told by the priest, the history to the art laying the groundwork for who he was now.

King Ezekiel likes this.
  12. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

He hastened after Magiano, smiling tenderly at his choice of words. Sea of sand. Ezekiel would have to borrow that if ever he wound up in a desert.

“The name of this majestic creature is elephant,” he told him. “Let us go inside and I shall show you real elephants, along with giraffes and monkeys.” He nodded at each of the intricate popsicle figures with a deep, respectful dip of his dreadlocks crowned head.

Ezekiel led the way to the ticket point, each checkout sporting a queue as long as Rip Van Winkle’s beard. Fortunately, one of the attendant’s recognized him as the King of Cascade Bay and gestured them through with a twirl of her hand. Ezekiel felt a sharp twinge of conscience as he strode to the front of the nearest queue to receive his complimentary ticket. Magiano likewise received a complimentary ticket, being an esteemed guest of the King of the Bay.

They entered thus the zoo, Ezekiel taking Magiano to a tall enclosure first. A troop of chimpanzees were scurrying up trees or clambering upside down ropes as effortlessly as one would navigate flat land. Large swathes of human visitors were already gathered around the enclosure to watch, children giggling about the bare rears of the chimps and other unmentionable parts.

Magiano likes this.
  13. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Elephant. The name probably had gotten lost over the years or his place called it something else entirely. Seeing them for real sure would be something, material for new songs and all. Following with a quick bounce he only wondered why people where waiting to go inside. Surely climbing the wall would be easier. The boy never really got why one would pay for getting somewhere, in 9 out of 10 cases there was a better way inside.
    About paying he didn't even think, no remorse about getting in without it – the boy barely noticed they got special treatment. Too fascinating was this whole setup. Sure above the age to laugh about those unmentionable parts – just because he was young he wasn't inexperienced in certain fields – he was more irritated by the fact that the animals were locked away. “Why do they keep them in cages?”

King Ezekiel likes this.
  14. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

“To keep them safe from harm,” he informed Magiano. “Cage is a harsh word with such unpleasant connotations. I prefer to refer to their lodgings as enclosures and habitats. They have been designed to emulate their homes in the wild. See those ropes hanging above their heads? That is the canopy they would climb in their native tropical forests and wet savannas.”

He gestured Magiano down an earthen path, eager to show him the next marvel of the animal kingdom. A wooden signpost indicated that they were in the Africa section of the zoo, the faces of elephants, lions, leopards, gazelles and myriad others carved into the pale wood. Ezekiel had always harbored an especial fascination with the magnificent animals of Africa.

The tumultuous trumpeting cry of an elephant rent the air above and around them. Ezekiel led the way onwards betwixt two brick buildings, the elephant habitat coming into view. It was a sprawling expanse of land, separated from visitors by tall fences and stone mounds.

A small herd of elephants lumbered across the desiccated clay of their habitat, some pausing to reach up with their wrinkled trunks and spin tires affixed to trees and posts. Others were gathered around a crystalline body of water that was set in the middle of the land, dipping their trunks in it and spraying their great hunched backs, leathery gray skin glistening in the sunlight.

Magiano likes this.
  15. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    Despite the reassurance that this was alright for the animals it left a bad taste with him, did he look back with a frown as they continued. No living being should be restrained in its freedom. A fancy cage still had walls. Maybe it was because he had been devoted of that choice too, not just in the temple but at every occasion where they caught him stealing. He was a free spirit in all aspects.
    Africa, of course, didn't say him anything, though one could guess by his appearance that he came from a similar place, the natural dark skin and the tight curls of his hair – turning to dreads whenever he stopped caring for them – pointing to it. With curiosity he looked at the carving, knowing some of the animals depicted, others just from stories. Both was great. Either would find its way into his stories and songs.
    Someone he seemed to have heard elephants before, since the sounds didn't faze him, reminding him more of the Baliras and laughing he run ahead, quick to scamper up one of the small walls meant as a barrier. It was obvious how little of a sense for danger and rules he had, the only thing stopping him the fact he wasn't alone. Looking up at the free sky above this habitat Magiano turned around, asking: “Won't they fly away?”

King Ezekiel likes this.
  16. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

“Elephants are much too heavy to fly,” Ezekiel chuckled at Magiano’s childlike question. “I presume that you have watched the film, Dumbo, featuring the circus elephant that used his tremendous ears to fly? I’m sorry to say that the whole thing was mere fiction.”

A young gentleman in a forest green uniform stomped past Ezekiel, yelling up at Magiano to eject himself from the wall immediately. He launched off on a heated tirade about endangering his life and that of the animals' by using the habitat as a perch.

Ezekiel strove to smooth over the situation by calling out in a voice of warmth and honey: “Come down and I will show you the lions, Magiano. Or would you prefer to see the meerkats first? Their organized communities have always provided me with hours of fascination.”

He began to edge slowly away from the elephant habitat, hoping that it was all the subtle coaxing he needed to inspire Magiano to dismount and follow him. Ezekiel prayed that the blustering zookeeper would not escalate matters by summoning a member of security.

It would have been disappointing indeed if they were to remove Magiano from the zoo!

Magiano likes this.
  17. Magiano

Magiano Young Elites
    Musical Magpie

Musician, Mimik, Thief
    Race:
    Young Elite
    Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral
    Directory:
    link
    “What’s a film?” he bounced the question back, clearly not knowing the reference. “And those are smaller than a Balira and they can fly” followed as a protest right away, the boy not knowing that these particular animals didn’t exist here. Or in any other place. In his reality big animals gliding through the air more graceful than any bird weren’t common, but they existed. So why not assume something smaller with just as big ‘wings’ could do it too?
    The zookeeper on the other hand got all but ignored by him, listening to authority never his strong suit. And he clearly didn’t get the indication of danger and rules, merely blinking irritated. How could him being on a wall be dangerous to the animals? Not wanting to loose Ezekiel he jumped back onto the path, landing swift and telling the zookeeper with a smile “Don’t worry, I wouldn’t have fallen” as if this was all he’d worried about. “What about the friend you wanted to show me?” he inquired, catching up to the older one, the incident already forgotten once his attention shifted away in that peculiar way of his.

18. King Ezekiel

King of Cascade Bay
    Race:
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Ezekiel unleashed his breath in a heavy exhalation, grateful indeed when Magiano rejoined him without protest. The young gentleman in the forest green uniform scowled after them, hands upon his hips, but fortunately, he chose not to escalate the situation.

“My friend spends her time with the other children of Father India,” he answered and informed Magiano as they ventured upon the spacious meerkat exhibit, which was composed of sloping sandy earth, rugged boulders and dessicated tree trunks that were lying across the ground. “If you wish to see her now, we would have to shorten our time with Mother Africa.”

A glossy meerkat was perched upon the tallest of the rocks, twitching its narrow head about as it surveyed its tiny, dusty kingdom, front paws clasped as though in prayer against its furry paunch. Its loyal subjects were digging beneath it in the fine soil or disappearing down the black maws of tunnels.

“I did not get the opportunity earlier to answer your question about films,” Ezekiel said, watching a young meerkat, a pup, pawing and nipping at its mother’s long tail. “Films are similar to plays, except recorded and shown in a cinema or on television. You have heard of television, at least? Methinks we will have to watch a film at the cinema next!”

He paused to change the subject, asking with a quirk of his lips: “What are Baliras?”