By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The new season is here and there's a whole new world to explore!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Pandora is broken.
    Read More Here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Pandora is searching for staff.
    Click here for more information!

Way down we go

Discussion in 'Pandora, Year 1 - 7' started by Roy Mustang, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Roy Mustang

Roy Mustang Fullmetal Alchemist

Race:
    Human
    Date- 8th February, year 7
    Tags- @Alphonse Elric & @Edward Elric

They'd arrived back at Morhall that morning and the first thing Roy had done was get Ed further medical attention once he had settled him in his bed. He'd watched as the medical staff at Morhall had treated the boy from the back of the room, he'd let them see to his own injuries only when the boy was comfortable, but for the moment he watched with his face smoothed into an unreadable mask while inside the uncomfortable feeling burned slowly through him. This was his fault, all of it was his fault, the boys should never of been sent out alone and Ed should never have found the vampire in the first place, Roy should of made sure Ed found information which had not led him into direct confrontation with the maniac who had caused him so much suffering.

Only when Ed was settled in the bed, dosed up on all kinds of painkillers and a little sedated did he finally send for Al having wanted to protect you boy trapped in the large suit of armour from seeing just how destroyed his brother had been. Now though with Al sat on the chair he'd dragged in from the living room Roy felt only the bitterness of guilt and the anger at the vampires actions towards someone who was but a boy. He stood just inside the doorway of the room, wanting to give Al silent support but not quite sure how to go abut it other than by simply being there his face smoothed into its usual unreadable, brooding expression.

Ed was showing signs that he may possibly be waking, so Roy was considering leaving, not wanting to intrude on the brother's reunion and so slowly, without a word he back stepped to the door where he stood a moment longer, making sure Ed truly was waking up before turning fully away. Vanishing into the main quarters of his apartment, thinking of ways to distract himself from his own guilt and anger but knowing that whatever he did he was likely to sink into that darkness whatever he did.

Alphonse Elric and Edward Elric like this.
  2. Edward Elric

Edward Elric Fullmetal Alchemist

Alchemist
    Race:
    Human
    It was so hard for Edward to know what the hell was going on around him any more. He wasn't even fully aware if he was alive or dead. The spikes of pain that had only begun to subside more recently had told him he was indeed living, but then he seemed to have... fallen asleep? Not under his own doing though, definitely forced or rather, induced with drugs whilst the medical staff within Morhall had done their very best to see to his wounds and do whatever they could to make sure he stayed with the living. His head was bandaged after they had stitched up the wound at the back of his head, and there were other parts of his body that had required stitches.

Bruises littered the teenager's body, cuts and his arm- Oh his arm... None of the medical staff could do anything about the damage to his nerves, simply taping the severed wires so they weren't a health risk to the boy. But his arm was in a pretty bad way, even Winry would wonder if she could have fixed it herself and not have asked for at least some help from Pinako.

But even amongst the bouts of semi-consciousness, Edward never cried, he only kept on mumbling the same words, 'I'm sorry' like he had with Alphonse all those nights ago when they were still so young and fond of making those kinds of mistakes. Now as he was in a foreign bed, Edward laid motionless beside the soft, faint, rise and fall of his chest as he breathed. The small oxygen mask they had insisted on keeping irritated his nose and had the boy ultimately opening his eyelids, a drip fastened into his other arm as everything seemed very makeshift in the desperate attempt to keep Edward alive and well enough to see another day.

Reaching his arm up, he weakly tried tugging at the mask over his nose and mouth, a small groaning sound coming from the boy as his patience ran thin and he managed to tug the damn thing low enough that he could cough in peace. It left him wheezing though, the internal damage to his body as plain as day with the sounds that came tumbling from Edward, so far from the strong young man he had proven himself to be so far.
    "I don't need this..." He stubbornly insisted, the mask now ledge half over his cheek and looking silly like that.

But that was Ed for you.

When he deemed turning his head hurt his neck too much, the bruise marks of Dracula's own hand still imprinted on the flesh there, Edward had simply settled for looking at his brother out of the corner of his eye instead.
    "Al..." The elder of the two begun, unsure of how much time he had before he was going to pass out again, but he tried reaching his arm out for his brother, wanting to just feel someone. So he called out again, his voice breaking but still refusing to cry, even now. How could he? He had let his little brother down.

"Alphonse?"

Alphonse Elric and Roy Mustang like this.
  3. Alphonse had been sitting in the chair, motionless as he watched Edward sleep. He was bent over in his seat with his head hanging down, silent and deep in thought. It a position that might have hurt a regular person's back, but Al could stay like that forever if he wanted to. For as long as it took for his brother to wake up.

He shouldn't have let him go off alone to Cascade Bay. Why did he let Ed talk him into staying behind? They barely separated back in Amestris, and Pandora was even more unpredictable and strange. He'd been pacing around Morhall for days, waiting for any news, only to have Edward come back in a state like this. Beaten and mangled. Some monster had done that to him and left him to die. Maybe if they'd been together, this wouldn't have happened at all. One of his gauntlets for hands shifted into a fist with a creak as the joints flexed.

For the first time in a long while, he was truly angry.

Alphonse looked up as Edward groaned and shifted to get the breathing mask off his face. Hestood up quickly and walked closer to the bed as Ed turned to look at him.

"You're up...!" he said, getting on his knees by his side. Al touched Ed's arm and carefully pushed it back down again, but he let it rest there. "You don't have to move around right now, okay? I'm right here."

Edward Elric likes this.
  4. Edward Elric

Alchemist
    Race:
    Human
    Swallowing thickly when he saw his brother and heard him kneel down by his side, Edward made a small sound of disagreement when his hand was pushed down. He didn't want to rest, he wanted to feel his little brother's hand in his own, even if it was bigger and not made of flesh, it was what he wanted to feel. Reaching out again, he found Alphonse's hand before he squeezed it gently, tears in the elder's eyes as he swallowed again and choked up, his other hand covering his mouth as it felt so good to see and hear his brother when he thought he never would again.

"Al..." Edward sounded just like he had on that fateful and godless night, his voice breaking as he spoke in short pants of breath to his brother.
    "Alphonse I thought I'd n-never see you again." The alchemist mumbled, his lips quivering as it seemed her was still forcing himself to shove down the tears that so badly wanted to spill from his eyes. But there was nothing else he said after that, keeping himself silent as he was reminded of just why he had feared he'd never get to see Alphonse ever again.

It was as if he had frozen in time, with how still the elder of the Elric brothers laid. No sound came from him, not even a breath as he held it, as if even thinking about Dracula would summon the beast here. His hand slipped from Alphonse's, resting by his side as he turned his face away and stared at the wall, his resolve hardened as he continued to stare in a dangerous kind of silence. It seemed Edward had closed himself off for now. From his brother, from the world, from everything.

Alphonse Elric likes this.
  5. It hurt to see Edward crying openly like this. He spent so much time trying to be strong in front of everyone and running himself into the ground looking for the answer to their problems. But now he just sounded broken. Alphonse squeezed Ed's hand back.

"We're supposed to stick together. Of course we'd see each other again," he said, trying to sound confidant. Nothing could keep them apart for long. If Ed wasn't up to it, he'd pick up the slack. His brother's hand slipped back on to the bed, and Ed looked away, uncharacteristically quiet. "...You're gonna be okay, you know that, right? You're safe here." He'd make sure of it.

Edward Elric likes this.
  6. Edward Elric

Alchemist
    Race:
    Human
    Edward still refused to let a single tear slip from his eyes. Even after all this time and everything he had been through with and without his brother, he didn't feel he had the right to allow himself to cry. Why should he? This pain inside of him was a reminder that he at least had a body, selfish really when Alphonse didn't.
    "...You're gonna be okay, you know that, right? You're safe here." But nowhere was safe. His own mind wasn't safe and as it rattled from extreme emptiness to being so crowded that he felt his skull was going to split under the pressure, he felt he had no escape. The elder couldn't bare to look at Alphonse, and he didn't really want him looking at him in his current state either - this wasn't what big brothers were supposed to look like.

"Nowhere is safe... Nowhere." Edward mumbled to himself, his eyelids falling closed as he strained to lift his hand out of his brother's grip and instead to place it over his closed eyelids. Soft sounds akin to whimpers and sniffling came from the teenager as he almost wished he hadn't woken up from his concussion. But he knew he was being selfish, again, especially when he had a promise to keep to Alphonse.
    "Don't go anywhere on your own, Al. Not even for something small... Even if-" He had to pause when the words got caught in his throat, the reality of them feeling hitting him a bit too hard, especially if Alphonse were to really take him up on the offer he forced out.

"Even if you don't want to go with me, looking for these answers any more... Don't be alone, Alphonse. There's things, monsters out here just as bad- no... worse than our world and I can't let you go through that." Go through what, he didn't know. Maybe Edward was worried he would go through some torturous pain of the soul, since his body was a shell... A shell. Yeah, the elder of the Elrics felt he could relate to that a little bit too much right now. Turning over completely, Edward laid with his back to his little brother, the sound of the monitors beeping in the room along with Edward's slightly laboured breathing.

7. "What...? What do you mean?" Alphonse asked. Nowhere was safe? He was quiet as Edward took his hand back and struggled to keep himself together, not even sure what to say anymore. Ed was so... afraid. It didn't suit him at all, and it made Alphonse wonder just what he'd gone through to make him act like this.

"Why would I... I'm never going to stop searching with you. We're in this together. I won't abandon you, okay?" It hadn't just been Edward who caused that horrible accident. Alphonse could have said no. He could have seen reason and tried to talk his brother out of it before things spiraled out of control. But he didn't, and for that, he was just as much at fault for their condition as Ed was. They were both desperate and hurting after their mother died, and the hope of seeing her again had blinded them to the dangers of trying to bend nature to their will. "Don't ever think that I'll give up on finding a way to fix this."

As Edward turned away, Alphonse leaned back in his chair, deep in thought. Maybe there were monsters out there, but he couldn't let that scare him from looking for answers. If any place had them, Pandora did. As much as he'd like to promise Edward that he'd be safe, it'd be a lie. Sometimes you just had to take risks to be rewarded.

Edward Elric likes this.
  8. Edward Elric

Alchemist
    Race:
    Human
    Poor Alphonse, forever the one brother of the two that saw things as the glass being half full instead of the perpetual half empty and very much draining glass that Edward saw. It was hard, really hard when you had to try and be harder on someone, especially when they were your little brother only trying to fix a mistake you made in the first place. But that was Edward's burden and curse, for the choice, for the mistake he had made for his brother and himself all those years ago.

"You weren't there, Al. You didn't see him. You didn't hear those awful things he said. He- He killed people because of me! There blood is on my hands now-" Even with the metaphorical use of hands, he felt like an idiot for referring to something he had lost, again, Edward's arm still in tatters and wrapped in linen cloth, propped on the small desk in the room as a constant reminder of how close he had come to the real end. But he was angry now, bubbling out from the desperation he felt when he knew Alphonse would be head strong enough to go and try and confront him if he could.

Sitting himself up, Edward winced in pain as he still wasn't in the best condition, his head snapping around though in his little brother's direction, legs agonisingly swung over the side of the bed so they sat face-to-face.
    "This is my fault! All of it, Al! Your big brother screwed us over from the very beginning and now I've gone and done it again. I nearly... I n-nearly died-" Edward choked on his own mortality, bowing his head as hot tears stung at his eyes, still refusing to let a single one fall. Instead he pushed himself further, standing with some minor stumbles along the way, but standing up in front of Alphonse with his shoulders hunched over, heaving up and down just a bit.

"And you know the worst thing about me nearly dying, Al?" Bowing his head as he spoke, the elder of the Elrics couldn't bear to look at his brother as he spoke his next words.
    "I wanted it... I wanted to give in. I could hear Mom's voice and I just wanted to go home. Your big brother is selfish and a coward, even in what were nearly the last moments of his life." Letting out a roar of anger and frustration, Edward hobbled over to the arm on the desk, pulling it from its wrapping before he raised it above his head, wanting to smash it into pieces as it was a reminder of the home they seemed to be unable to return to - of Winry and Pinako, the loving family that had always been there but they'd walked away from.

Moments passed and Edward continued to stand there, his chest heaving before he dropped the automail, letting it rattle against the hardwood flooring before he collapsed to his knees. Head hanging low with all his long blond locks shielding his face like some kind of curtain, Edward made no sounds of weeping or sadness, no tears falling as he was stubborn right to the very end. Only one thing was left to say.

"I'm sorry..."

9. Alphonse didn't even know what to say as Edward finally said what he felt inside. It hurt to hear just how much Edward beat himself up, blaming himself for things that no person should have to go through. After Edward was on his knees, Alphonse stood up fro his chair and walked over to where the automail arm had fallen. He picked it up like it was made of glass and carefully set in on the table. Ed would need that later, whether he wanted it now or not.

He dropped onto one knee in front of Ed, though he was still taller than his big brother, and then pulled him into a hug.

"...He killed those people because he's a cruel, horrible person. Don't let him blame you for the actions he chose to take. You're not selfish or a coward, you're just human. I want to go home too, but we're both still here and we're both still alive. Please... please just let me help you for once. You don't have to do everything on your own."

Edward Elric likes this.
  10. Edward Elric

Alchemist
    Race:
    Human
    The action of Alphonse picking up the elder's arm reminded the alchemist of how it seemed his loving little brother was always there to pick up the pieces of when the elder of the two seemed to be unable to do it himself. It made Edward feel guilty but in the grateful kind of way, his head bowing even further as Alphonse crouched down in front of him. With a soft sound leaving Edward, he found himself being held in a hug, his body pressed up against the cool, worn metal that encased what remained of his little brother. With his head tilted back, Edward stared up at the ceiling with his long blond hair swaying back over his shoulders and neck, no longer shrouding his face and hiding the tears that filled Edward's eyes, still refusing to let a single one fall though.

You don't have to do everything on your own.

It seemed the words hit the elder of the two Elrics a lot harder than he had ever been expecting, his hand shaking as he brought it up and wound it over the top of one of his brother's shoulders the best he could, his head bowing as he pressed his cheek against the smooth metal.
    "Thank you, Al... T-Thank you..." Edward stuttered, squeezing his eyelids shut as he clung onto his brother as best he could, the image a bittersweet sight to be seen, it seemed for the time being Edward allowed for himself to crumble in properly. Without his walls holding him up, he half sank against Alphonse's armoured chest, shoulders shaking with dry and choked sobs. Edward loved his brother more than anything in the world and had no idea what he would do without him. A thought perhaps best left for the demons silenced in his heart.

For now.