By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!
  1. Welcome to Pandora! We are a pan-fandom, play-by-post roleplay.
    New Player's Guide | Canon List | FAQ | Questions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Autumn is here!
    Check out the Season Updates HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a nice day, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Private Well Done, You Brave Fish-Fighter

Discussion in 'Cascade Bay' started by Matthias, Sep 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Matthias

Matthias Redwall

Race:
    Field Mouse
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Date: September 12th
    @Tsuyu Asui
    ~

The sea!

Matthias had never seen so much water before in his life. He spied it from the cliffs as he first arrived in the city -- the place itself was incredibly sprawling; the mouse felt nothing could top the magnificence of Redwall Abbey -- but the coast was even more vast than that. Between the pond and the small streams of Mossflower Wood, the realization that huge ships were crafted to float on these huge bodies of water dazzled the little warrior.

He spent an entire day orienting himself with its streets and bustling life they carried, filled with so many people and other creatures that it made his head spin... perhaps a little too much.

For the first time he cried a few days ago, holed up in an alley, overwhelmed at this new world and the pain of how he just wanted to go home. The spirit of Martin soon scolded him, surprisingly, telling Matthias that this was no way a warrior dealt with these situations. The mouse wasn't even in imminent danger...! Not yet. His penchant for stealth had avoided any humans from chasing him through the cobblestone roads for now, and his mentor reminded him of that.

So after picking himself up and dusting off his green habit, Matthias put aside his grief and anxiousness and thought back to the most reliable way he knew how to unwind: fishing. He marched along the wooden bridges (careful not to fall through any gaps in the boards) and docks and scouted for a good, quiet spot. He returned a day later with a long, bendy stick about his entire height and several lengths of string knotted to its end. A stale, meager piece of bread as bait was threaded with careful precision through a little shard of a hook.

Matthias now sat with his sword and shield beside him, his footpaws dangling out and the pole cast out a few whiskers further. "If only I had Brother Alf to help me... Heh, now that he's the Father Abbot, I'd bet he never want to test those old paws again..." he muttered to himself, growing tired of waiting. The last time Matthias went out in the rickety little vessel on the Abbey pond, the pair of mice had dragged a full-grown grayling out and made the centerpiece for the grand summer feast. What he'd land from the depths this time would serve to be a surprise; he didn't even fathom cooking the thing, just cutting it loose with Martin's sword.

The waves were calm, steadily lapping against the dock's anchoring poles. Distant gulls wheeled overhead, paying him no mind. It seemed as though the world was finally at peace.

And then a single tug whisked him off the platform and made him plunk, right into the water! Matthias held tight to the pole as he plunged under with a rush of bubbles, submerging a few inches until he let go for his own safety. "Phwaaa!" he raised his snout to the afternoon sun and gasped, flailing about as a wave pushed him around. He paddled to a post of the dock and dug his paws into the slippery woodwork, threatening to get pulled underneath the structure completely. And how he'd climb up seemed impossible. "S-Somebeast help!" he bellowed into the shafts of light peeking through.

Tsuyu Asui likes this.
  2. Tsuyu Asui

Tsuyu Asui My Hero Academia

Sailor
    Race:
    Mutated Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

You'd think being a sailor would be more than enough time around the water for Tsuyu, but you'd be wrong. It wasn't that she spent every waking hour by the sea, but she did usually find herself away from civilization and near the sea whenever she had a day to herself.

When she wasn't swimming, or training, she was usually just enjoying the sounds and smells of the ocean. It was calming, like bundling up in a blanket and sitting by the fire, but opposite, in a way. It was like she was where she needed to be.

It helped that people often found themselves in trouble by the water, and Tsuyu always felt best when she was helping someone in need. Even if it was just someone who got a cramp while swimming, or was caught by a current and needed some help, she was more than glad to protect people.

That was why, as she was swimming past one of the many docks in Cascade Bay, she immediately stopped dead when she heard someone calling for help, in a rather odd way.

Glancing around, she couldn't see anyone who seemed to be in danger nearby, but that didn't stop her from swimming closer, even ducking under the water to make sure they weren't already submerged. "Hello?" she called, "I can help, I just can't see you, ribbit." Were they invisible?

Matthias likes this.
  3. Matthias

Matthias Redwall

Race:
    Field Mouse
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Matthias whirled his head about, water droplets catching in his large ears as she scrabbled for a better hold on the post. He hauled himself a hair higher to avoid being swept away by the waves. And they seemed to only intensify as another body stirred up the ocean, pelting him with a screen of saltwater that he shook off and coughed.

"I... I'm here!" he raised his voice again, his eyes squeezed shut from the burning against his lids. He couldn't see his potential savior, so he just had to trust in the whims of fate. And should he push off and try floundering in the direction of the voice he heard? Not even Martin uttered a trustworthy word in this instance, washed out by another hiss from the waves. "Just hurry!"

Tsuyu Asui likes this.
  4. Tsuyu Asui

Sailor
    Race:
    Mutated Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Even as the person in trouble called out to her again, it took Tsuyu a few seconds to finally zero in on the source of the cries. She forced herself to not get distracted by the oddness of a talking mouse, she needed to work fast.

Once she had a destination, she swam in the mouse's direction, reaching out to gently cup him in one of her hands. "Alright, I've got you, ribbit," she said gently as she placed her other hand on the post, attaching to it.

When she was sure her passenger was safe in her hand, she started climbing the post, which was a little difficult with only one hand, but she managed it, and was able to place the mouse on the deck when she was done.

Matthias likes this.
  5. Matthias

Matthias Redwall

Race:
    Field Mouse
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Thank heavens he was spotted in time; Matthias wearily let himself settle in the stranger’s hand, a tad angry with himself as he realized this was the second time he needed to be saved from a watery grave. Although this time it wasn’t as simple as scooping him out of a stream, the mouse ascended, personally astonished at this individual’s ability as a climber. It was kind of cat-like, although not so.

He tumbled out of his savior’s fingers on the dock and leaned over the upturned shield to cough up some saltwater that had been seated in his throat. The soaking hairball creature took his tail in-hand and wrung it out briefly, able to raise his head to the person. “My thanks…” Matthias sighed. “I think I need to keep away from any body of water from now on. I’m such a poor swimmer.” He looked at his arms and the dripping sleeves of his green habit, a curl and uncurl of his digits and tiny claws. If there was any scolding in store for wasting this person’s time, he’d weather it humbly, his head raising from a bow. “Where’d you even learn to climb like that, eh?”

Tsuyu Asui likes this.
  6. Tsuyu Asui

Sailor
    Race:
    Mutated Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Tsuyu had a bit of training in helping drowning victims. She knew CPR, for instance, and could get in the ideal position for recovery. She did not, however, know how to help a mouse of all people. Maybe she'd be able to help Principal Nezu, if he were in such a position, but that was different from an actual mouse.

The most she could do was watch in concern as he recovered. "I'm just glad I was there to help you in time," she said, "that must've been very frightening, ribbit." She always felt comfortable in the water, but she could see why others didn't like it as much.

No one had ever asked how she climbed so well before, they always just wanted to know how froglike she was. It often ended up with awkward situations (Mineta). Still, she did her best to explain when she said, "it's part of my quirk, frog, ribbit. I can do quite a few things like climb or swim."

Matthias likes this.
  7. Matthias

Matthias Redwall

Race:
    Field Mouse
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    Okay, Matthias was losing his patience quickly because of the stranger’s habit of interjecting their own speech with some random word. “Part of your… quirk?” he crossed his arms and held his tongue. “I suppose that’s correct. Mine I guess is that I’m a little helpless on my own,” the mouse loathed to admit.

He shook his head like a dog and released some moisture in his ears, then smoothed back the hairs on his scalp with his paw. “They used to call me the fishfighter back home,” he continued forlornly. “But I guess I can’t even participate in my pastime anymore.” The animal looked to the water, his fishing rod just a twig floating out to sea, bobbing about within a current of bubbles. “I’m actually named Matthias, though, a warrior from Redwall Abbey.” He gave a short little bow as he had tossed out his location once again; perhaps at some point the place would be familiar to someone—but the chances were slim.

“What’s it you do around here? Is it save beasts from drowning? I figured because you seemed to be a natural.” And if there was anything clearer to Matthias in his young life, it’s that everyone benefitted the most from doing what their latent talents displayed to them; he had the adventurer’s spirit, and it couldn’t be quelled, even if it dragged him under from time to time.

Tsuyu Asui likes this.
  8. Tsuyu Asui

Sailor
    Race:
    Mutated Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

The confusion in the mouse's voice was plain to Tsuyu, and she decided to try and clarify. "I think we're using the term differently," she said, "my quirk is called frog, it gives me the abilities of frogs, ribbit." It was annoying how so few worlds seemed to have quirks.

How difficult it must be for someone of Matthias's size. She definitely felt bad for the little guy. An introduction deserved the same, of course, so she replied, "my name is Tsuyu Asui, but you can call me Tsu. I don't have any grand title, but my hero name is Froppy."

His question caused her to chuckle softly and nod. "That's certainly part of it, ribbit," she said, "I work for the navy, so I help keep the seas safe. Sometimes I patrol the waters on my own, ribbit. It's nice to know I'm being helpful."

Matthias likes this.
  9. Matthias

Matthias Redwall

Race:
    Field Mouse
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    The clarification at first just made Matthias hold the back of his neck with both paws, his elbows bent, pulling a wry frown as he looked up at this... "You're like a frog because of your frog quirk... Haha, okay..." He swore he heard of such creatures being spoken about in Mossflower Wood... were they mouse-eaters? They were definitely water-lovers like otters. Hurting his head over it was getting him nowhere, so he decided to gather up his equipment; thread his shoulders between the straps of the shield and hang it on his back, loop the sword belt around his hips and buckle on the sheath. This Soo-yoo A-soo-ee, or Soo, or Froppy-whatever... she was a strange one.

But perhaps she had a noble cause, he realized as his arms crossed. "The navy - what's a navy, eh? Is it an army of water-creatures?" Matthias persisted. It didn't sound like a place for him to find his niche, however, looking out to the bottomless ocean again, as he was bewildered by it sounded like she took pride in protecting it. "That's a lot of ocean to cover, no matter what," he remarked, impressed. "Is it as infinite as they say? And what's out there to defend against...?"

Tsuyu Asui likes this.
  10. Tsuyu Asui

Sailor
    Race:
    Mutated Human
    Alignment:
    Lawful Good
    Directory:
    link
    [​IMG]

Matthias didn't seem to really grasp what a quirk was, or what it meant. Tsuyu considered explaining, but figured it'd only cause more of a headache for the mouse. Instead, she simply replied, "I just have abilities that are more frog-like than human."

At least he was able to get a grasp on what a navy is. "Essentially, ribbit," she said, "an army fights on land, the navy fights on the sea. We don't fight a lot of other people, but sometimes we run into pirates, ribbit. Mostly, though, we fight monsters. Giant sharks, krakens, fishpeople. Giant water-creatures that would hurt a lot of people if they got too close to land, ribbit."

Matthias likes this.