By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

Private Ape Escape

Bobo T. Chimpanzee

DC Universe
Species
pan troglodytes
Occupation
Private Eye
Alignment
Neutral Good
link
Date: May 3rd, Year 109
Location: Daye Investigations Head Office - the "Batcave" to Bobo, and to Bobo alone
Time: Somewhere after 4pm

Tag: @Toby Daye

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shuffling over as best he could, Bobo plonked the photo file on the desk in front of him, before hauling himself up onto a stool next to it with a grunt.
Bipedalism. Pff. How'd it ever catch on?

"Okay. Here's what I got from the scouting session, plus some notes detailing extra info our client was gracious enough to reveal once they were sure I wasn't sent as a joke."
Scratching his top lip, Bobo examined the contents of the file for a moment, before spreading it out so that Toby could see it all too. Everyone started somewhere in this line of work, and his case the first big case had been a spate of thefts, seemingly bizarre situations where fairly valuable stuff had vanished from rooms without there being an easy way for it to do so. Sure, it could have been magic, but generally magicians didn't bother with this stuff - once you could teleport, for instance, you generally tried to do more with it than a particularly showy run of breaking and entering.

So, naturally, when there was a mystery people had turned to Daye Investigations.
"Same setup as the others in broad terms. Heavy as hell statue made of bronze - this one an elephant, apparently - vanished without trace. Client says no signs of forced entry on the doors to the property, and given my own examination I'm inclined to agree. Whoever did this didn't do it by walking in off the street, so to speak."
Pushing another set of photos towards Toby, Bobo grunted. These ones showed the outside of the town-house; a nice sort of building, really, nothing too fancy but not exactly a slum landlord's fixer-upper either. In fact, it kinda looked like the kind of terraced houses they had in London, which was funny given that the apartments next to it looked like they were from goddamn Mars. Pointing to the upper floor of the building in one of the photos, Bobo carried on.

"These windows were unlocked, so that's a potential point of entry right there. Theoretically, someone could have propped up a ladder, got in, got to the statue and gotten away with it. There's two things that make this sequence of events kinda unlikely, though. One: that's an open road, and near as I can tell from what our paying customer told me about their routine, the theft has to have happened between half 5 and 6pm yesterday - in other words, in bright daylight. Some goofball walking around with a ladder under one arm and a big bronze elephant under the other would have been spotted pretty quick."

Pausing to take a quick swig of coffee, Bobo tried not to think about how much he'd prefer it Irished up a touch. He had to be professional these days, and that meant no drinking during work hours. Every silver lining has its cloud, and being paid on time and regularly was a pretty decent silver lining to match this particular cloud.
"Two: I asked the client how big this statue of his was. He used the admittedly inexact science of holding his arms wide like this to show me," Bobo admitted, mimicking the movement so Toby got the idea, "but if that's even a halfway accurate estimate then we're talking about something that's damn near three feet long from trunk to tail. I'll put it bluntly, I don't think there's a human being - even a fit human being - that's carrying that shit off without throwing their damn back out. No way."

Sipping his coffee again, Bobo tried not to grimace. Fight through it, simian, fight through it.
"And it's just like the others in that regard. Some big, improbably heavy item whisked out from under the nose of its original owner in the space of about half an hour, with no witnesses as to the act. I got a few ideas, but... what do you think, boss?"

• Love
Reactions: Toby Daye

Toby Daye

October Daye
Empathy Queen
Species
Changeling
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
W/ Gabe
link
There were a number of things that Bobo said that resonated with Toby. Small verbiage, little things, but things that stood out to her because she could easily read between the lines of Bobo's life. Being different wasn't something the average person of any kind accepted in stride. Not for Bobo where ever he came from and certainly not in faerie for Toby. How many times had people refused to pay her or tried to short her somehow because she was a changeling? Half human? Too many to count by her age.

Still, Toby didn't comment on it as she leaned over the table to get a look at the file. It had been assigned to Bobo but apparently it was a little bit of a weird one. Plus Bobo was a little new. Checking in on her newest employee wouldn't be unheard of and Toby helped on a great number of cases regardless. It was best they could figure out how to get along too, just like any other duo in this company. She had read up on the previous hits and while this one was the newest, it didn't seem like it'd be the last. Toby listened to Bobo while she sorted through a couple of the photographs, trying to make sense of it. Typically, she had an easier time being on scene but this would have to do.

There was a little bit of a snort when Bobo held his arms out. "Something that'd take a few guys or someone with superpowers to get out." Or the right machines. Pandora had a bevy of different options on that end. Toby could lift something that size by herself with her aura. Might have been more than a little awkward to carry around though and she was certain she would have smashed the statue into the walls.

Bobo kept bringing her up to speed and Toby started to arrange the photos in a way that made more sense in her mind. Lining them up so she was looking at the room in a continuous line. Or at least as much as she could manage. Cops weren't exactly photographers, were they? "A good chunk of the staff in this office could carry it out the door by themselves, Bobo." Toby decided to bring her employee up to speed on that one. "And I could easily name over twenty people who could likely do it if they were in the mood. Pandora's going to skew what you think someone is capable of real fast." Not that such information made this any easier. "No security cameras or warding spells?" Why didn't people install security cameras or wards? It was just stupid.

• Love
Reactions: Bobo T. Chimpanzee

Bobo T. Chimpanzee

DC Universe
Species
pan troglodytes
Occupation
Private Eye
Alignment
Neutral Good
link
Despite himself, Bobo smiled - toothless, of course. Now this was job satisfaction.
"Right, which is my proposed scenario - that someone with above-human strength did the job. Now, there is another option, which is that magic was involved; someone could have teleported into the place, for instance, and warped themselves back out. However, the answer to your question rules that out."

Pulling another picture out from the pile, Bobo motioned to it. As he did so, he found his respect for the boss jumping up a notch or two; she'd seemed decent enough before, sure, but the attention to detail here was very much appreciated. It was always nice to work for someone who could also do the work, basically.

"You can see here that the house was protected. These sigils along the thresholds control wards of a pretty decent type - I mean, sure, they're not going to stop everything, but the kind of power that'd be needed to overcome them is way more than someone in the realm of thievery is going to be deploying."

Scratching himself, Bobo let out a loud and somewhat exasperated sigh. Perhaps without realising it, Toby had just touched upon the most frustrating part of the conversation he'd had that afternoon.
"As for cameras, surprisingly there isn't. This is just plain lack of preparation, honestly; the client said things like that didn't exist on their world, which I guess I sympathise with, but in all honesty I'm surprised whatever mage did the sigils didn't also let them know about mundane security too. Anyway, they're paying the price for that now - to us, specifically."

• Love

Toby Daye

October Daye
Empathy Queen
Species
Changeling
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
W/ Gabe
link
Someone way above human strength. That sounded like it might have done the trick or magic. Teleportation was a valid option as well and it seemed that the two investigators were on the same track with their thoughts. Toby smiled for a moment because it was a clear sign that hiring Bobo was a good thing. If he thought in the same manner that she did, it'd be a lot easier for her to trust him with trickier cases in the future.

Toby didn't recognize the sigils specifically, but she could tell that they were meant to be magical in nature. "Did anyone from the department confirm that these were active? I've known a con artist or two to slap something simple over a ward to give it a faint magical trace that glowed but didn't do shit all else." If the magic users with the PD had confirmed the wards were intact, then Toby would accept it, but to her knowledge Bobo couldn't pull any magic out of his pocket. She would have been able to tell if she saw the wards in person though.

"Sometimes magic and tech doesn't mix. Before your time, but we had a wizard on staff who had to where a dampening charm just so our computers wouldn't burst when he sneezed." Toby missed Harry a lot. He had been a close friend of hers for a good portion of Pandora and he was always a bench mark in these situations. "Or maybe a thousand other reasons. Sucks for us too in this situation though." Video really would have made things easier on them. "So any leads at all?" If Bobo had done any footwork before this point then Toby would expect some names or things to pop out. If they were taking this more from the start though, they'd have to look through shit to get those names.

Either way, the boss was reaching for the witness statements to start looking for those names for her own context. She had a habit of following a feeling or a hunch based off those things, at least when she got started, but that was how Toby operated. She had no idea if Bobo had a different play book of his own but it was time she started finding out.

• Love

Bobo T. Chimpanzee

DC Universe
Species
pan troglodytes
Occupation
Private Eye
Alignment
Neutral Good
link
it was a fair question - the magical world had its fair share of cowboys and snake-oil salesbeings, after all. Nevertheless, Bobo shook his head.
"Can't use the stuff myself, but I've gotten pretty good at spotting it in the wild over the years - and the dept. guy concurred. These babies were active at the time, no question about it."

Leads, though. Those were the key, and unfortunately there things were a little thin on the ground - no pun intended. Bobo had a theory, though. It was a loose one, sure, but... well, you had to go with what you got given.

"Just one thing. It could, frankly, be a coincidence, but... well, it fits a theory I'm developing. I cased the neighbourhood a bit to see if our thief or thieves had walked off in any of the obvious directions. Nothing came up when I questioned the potential witnesses I found, and at least some of these people were in the area at the time so we can rule out these routes - on a street level, anyway."

Tapping his finger against the underside of his jaw, Bobo thought through what he was going to say next. After all, he had very little to back it up, and he knew it wasn't good to chase after hunches as a general rule. Still... when the facts were considered...

"One old lady, God bless her, wasted a fair bit of my time talking about her damn plants she had growing on the window ledge. One had got knocked off - she thinks a kid threw a rock at it, but I'm not so sure. These roofs are all covered in gravel... and I think you might see where I'm going with this."

• Love

Toby Daye

October Daye
Empathy Queen
Species
Changeling
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
W/ Gabe
link
Magic was part of all of it and Toby nodded. Of course it played a part. It was a piece of the puzzle that fit nice and neat into the spot where something was missing. The brunette kept on flipping through the information but she didn't feel the normal sort of pressure she might on a case. Obviously it was a crime that needed to solve but thankfully, no one was dead. No bodies to look at or blood to taste. In a way, this was going to be almost light hearted compared to most of her cases.

Of course Bobo then landed the next one on her. Toby's eyebrows rose right before her eyes did, glancing upward towards the ceiling. "On the rooftops?" That just seemed to be absolutely unbelievable to her for a hot second. She was strong, yes. She had supernatural powers, yes. But could she run with something that size along the rooftops while hiding under something that made you invisible? That... that seemed like a lot of skill to Toby. A lot more than Toby would have been able to pull off.

Her jaw locked for a second and Toby moved a few pages to a map of the neighborhood. Looking over it and noting what ways someone could have left. What routes they might have taken. "Only a little gravel was found?" One account could have led to a few people checking but Toby wasn't about to assume on behalf of Bobo or the cops. It was better to ask about something she didn't know about than to assume.

But without any kind of indication on a favorable direction, how the fuck were they supposed to figure this out? The woman's address also mattered. Toby tilted her head as she tried to puzzle out the next piece before Bobo answered her. How far could they jump if they were capable of carrying that weight? How many of them were there?

• Love

Bobo T. Chimpanzee

DC Universe
Species
pan troglodytes
Occupation
Private Eye
Alignment
Neutral Good
link
"Yeah, only a little - enough to knock over the pot, but not a bucket-load. Say, an amount of gravel that could reasonably have been moved by the foot of a fairly solidly-built being, that's my assessment."
But that still left holes, didn't it?

That was the frustrating thing, the unanswered questions. Bobo was sure he was onto something here, absolutely certain that somehow or other he'd stumbled onto the right track. The problem was proving it - and not blinding himself to other possibilities in his certainty that this one hunch was the one to follow.

"Look, I tried to case those rooftops. It'd be damn hard to see anyone moving around up there if you weren't expecting to see it - but that doesn't mean my theory doesn't have issues. I'll be honest, I want a second pair of eyes to check it out with me, to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. Hell, if it turns out I'm right, then I'd also like a witness so I can boast about it properly in the bar after work."

Looking up from the photos, Bobo grinned - again, without the teeth. No need to be rude, after all.
"If you're too busy, I'll understand, but... what do you say? Up for a quick walk?"

• Love

Toby Daye

October Daye
Empathy Queen
Species
Changeling
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
W/ Gabe
link
It was an interesting puzzle. Toby didn't normally think of cases like puzzles. But this was a little bit different and again, there weren't any bodies. How many dark and creepy cases had she been on lately? How many violent ones? This case was quickly becoming a breath of fresh air for Toby. She was starting to think that she needed to take more time off. Take some less serious cases. There were plenty of people who could help with the tough ones and she... she liked having a bit of time off now. That was the point of hiring all these investigators, wasn't it? Just a little bit?

"Yeah, I think I can go for a walk." Toby knew she could easily scale the outside of a building if they needed to get a different view. Toby motioned for Bobo to lead the way back outside and thanked whichever staff member was closest to them as they left. Always good to be polite. Toby had gone from ignoring everyone she could with her shoulders bunched into a slouch into... well, she was walking out confidently. Her shoulders were back and relaxed, she made eye contact, and there was even a smile. There was a lot of progress in who she had become while running and figuring out this business. In figuring out who she was here in Pandora.

They followed along the trail and Toby stopped at the corner of a street, looking in a few different directions the person could have gone. But if they had super strength, what other skills might they have had? Toby couldn't be certain what they were capable of and she had a feeling it was going to be a rough case from that end. "I can climb up and have a look around, but... this might be a little bit of a busted end, Bobo." Toby winced while she spoke but her eyes were darting around the street at what was normal camera level but it seemed like everyone around here was a little anti-technology. At least, for anything that made sense to her.

"Unless there's something else along the way?" Maybe Bobo had another hint or clue or something. They were going to need it to keep going, unless Toby started calling in favors with people who might have known blackmarkets for this kind of thing. That probably would have helped either way though so she whipped out her scroll and started to shoot off some texts even while waiting for Bobo to make other choices.

• Love

Bobo T. Chimpanzee

DC Universe
Species
pan troglodytes
Occupation
Private Eye
Alignment
Neutral Good
link
Standing in the street, Bobo craned his neck a bit to look up at their surroundings. Oh, for a pair of those long human legs. That would make all this "walking around places built for tall people" so much easier.

"Okay, okay. You're right, based on what I've said already this would be a bit of a fool's errand. However, I got one last card to play."
And just then, the text came through. Holding up his phone so Toby could see it as well, he opened it up - it was from a contact in the town's Guard who did a bit of forensics. And what it said, well...

"Ha! I knew it! Okay, sorry I didn't mention this earlier, but to be honest I didn't have the data back then. I was waiting on Jenny here to provide me with what I needed, and I think it's fair to say she's come through."

Pointing to the text, Bobo quickly gave Toby the cliffnotes.
"One thing that was found at the scene was a single set of prints on the plinth. I guess our thief got careless. Whatever the case, the problem was that they weren't recognised as prints at first because people were looking for human prints. Even the superpowered population around here tends towards human-form as a general rule, so I guess I can understand the oversight - but oversight it was."

Smiling sardonically, Bobo lifted up his free hand.
"But what they should have been looking for was an ape. Like you said, half the staff of DI could've walked out with that thing easily enough, me included, and it was the realisation that our perp or perps had probably gotten away across the rooftops that got me thinking about who might be most comfortable doing that. One quick text to my pal later, and it turns out I was right."

• Love

Toby Daye

October Daye
Empathy Queen
Species
Changeling
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
W/ Gabe
link
Bobo hadn't been in Pandora long but he had already built himself up a few contacts. One of the signs of a good investigator. Toby was glad that Bobo had shown up for an interview and she was starting to see exactly how he could manage on his own. The text was well enough timed to be considered a little impressive and there might have been a touch of a smile on Toby's lips. The changeling was always glad when one of her employees managed to have a little flair about them, but that could be seen in other aspects of her social circle. Toby had a habit of finding the dramatic without any idea why she might have felt a little bit of a kinship towards them.

"Jenny, huh?" Toby didn't know how old Bobo was or anything of that nature, but she liked to tease her friends about anything and anyone. Jenny would now be included, though Toby had no idea who they actually were or how they were helping Bobo. A set of prints sounded like just the sort of thing that they would need in order to track this person down. Because really, there wasn't a lot in the way of cameras that would be looking up instead of down on the street. Just didn't make sense for most people.

An ape. Toby wasn't entirely sure how to take that bit. She also wasn't sure how to ask the questions that needed to be asked. "Going to be honest, I don't know how to even ask or comment on any of this without sounding offensive in my own head." Instead of sidestepping the conversation that was currently the white elephant in the room, Toby sighed and pulled out her smokes. She had upgraded from using the actual cig carton to a small metal flask looking thing, if only because her smokes had a habit of avoiding being crushed when she did that.

Toby placed one between her lips and then offered them to Bobo, not entirely sure if he was a smoker or not in the short amount of time they had known one another. "There isn't anyone like you in the world I'm from, not exactly. Shifters of all sorts, but that seems very different." Toby's voice was gentler as she spoke because Toby was genuine in the fact that she didn't want to upset Bobo. In fact, she just wanted to be respectful. Whether or not Bobo took a smoke, Toby snapped the metal case shut and tucked it back into her jacket before lighting up her own. "I don't want to be insensitive. Pandora has a habit of introducing me to a bunch of different sorts of my own, non-human kind, in example. It's difficult for others to navigate. " Except everyone looked down on changelings. That didn't seem to change no matter what world faerie came from.

• Love

Current Season

Status Updates

Not that it's a contest or anything... but guess who just made their first friend and now has a planned playdate meeting with them? Yeah, I'm just that impressive.
microwaved a pop-tart, cried for 10 minutes.
the future is now
S.O.S HOW TF DO YOU UNSWIPE ON PINDER I MESSED UP
One day left to sign up for Labyrinth of the Beast! Can you survive the labyrinth?
Click here!

Featured Wanteds

Staff

Donate to Pandora

Enjoying Pandora? Consider donating to us!
All donations go towards server costs, software licenses, add-ons, themes, and future development work.

Current Events

Recent Posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hua Cheng
Top Bottom