By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

Private Google Ain't Shit

Bobo T. Chimpanzee

DC Universe
Species
pan troglodytes
Occupation
Private Eye
Alignment
Neutral Good
link
Date: April 6th, Y109
Tag: @Lenalee Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You got all kinds of weird stuff happening in Pandopolis, but most of it wasn't exactly news. People vanished, streets rearranged themselves here and there, and once a fortnight or thereabouts there'd be a giant monster sighting. Not only was this stuff not news, it also didn't generate jobs, and that was more important to Bobo's immediate interests.

However, now and again, a person could see patterns if they looked hard enough. Bobo thought of it as being a bit like a kaleidoscope; at first it kind of looked like nonsense, but the more you watched it the more the same shapes started appearing until you could almost predict what was next. If this theory held good, then the archives were exactly the place to go for his next move - at least, if he wanted to solve this case and get paid.

The case concerned a guy who had, to put it simply, disappeared. Nothing unusual in that. People vanished in Pandora all the time, it was apparently a fact of life. Thing was, they generally didn't vanish shortly after taking a crash course in the Occult; seeing as the town guard didn't tackle any case like this unless there was definitive proof, Daye Investigations had once again stepped in to fill the gap.

Speaking of gaps...
"Hey, can you spare a minute? I need to look through the files, but, uh..."
Coughing slightly, Bobo rubbed behind his stubby little ears for a moment, before just coming out with it.
"Well, basically, I dunno how they're organised, and I'm also looking through them on the basis of what I can only describe as an informed hunch. Can you help me out?"
So far, most of the people he'd met in his new job had been pretty decent, but the fact was that in most cases he'd just exchanged a word or two with them. However, the files were absolutely not his territory; that was the preserve of one Lenalee Lee, whose name Bobo found the easiest to remember in the whole office.

She'd seemed nice enough from what little they'd said to each other, sure, but it always paid to be polite. The last thing Bobo wanted was to make enemies because he'd screwed up someone's neat, orderly filing system, and if there was one thing you could say about people involved in paperwork it was that they held all the real power in a workplace. Oh, sure, the boss could fire you... but it was the filing assistants who could make your life hell if you crossed them.

So, accordingly, he was on his best behaviour.

• Love
Reactions: Lenalee Lee

Lenalee Lee

D.Gray-man
The Saint-Girl, Fallen Into Darkness
Species
Human
Occupation
Being in a coma, mostly
Alignment
True Neutral
Relationship Status
/w Giorno Giovanna
link

Bobo Chimpanzee was...strange. Not just because he was a sentient monkey (she had seen weirder things, both in Pandora and at the Order), but because he approached all of the weirdness that Pandora had to offer with the kind of nonchalance one would go grocery shopping. He also, though he seemed nice, didn't really interact with her much, beyond just the normal polite work stuff, so Lenalee was...ambivalent on his very existence, really.

Which made it a pleasant surprise when he approached her for help with the filing system, which was...a task. A thing. Still, she could do what she could, so she smiled, and nodded at the request. It was rare that people asked to go through old files, because Pandora was ever changing. It was actually rarer for two crimes to be exactly the same than otherwise.

She did, however, take a breath. "That might be harder than you think, Mr Chimpanzee," she said, tone bright but wry, still getting up from her desk to head to the files room, just figuring that he deserved a warning. The files room was a mess, as always, every case from before she started working there a complete mess. After her start they were organised by date and name, but before that...

Lenalee was pretty sure that they just threw files in and hoped for the best.

"I'm happy to help, but..." she trailed off, gesturing to the room. "It's not really organised at all, and very little of it is online, either. I keep meaning to sit down and sort it, but there's never time." Also things kept happening, like Allen's demon daemon, or Lavi's tumultuous relationship, and she was never really in the headspace to sit down and fix it, nowadays. A long time ago she would have taken on the burden, desperate for anything to keep her from going back to an empty apartment, but that had changed, and now it felt like she couldn't wait for work to be over sometimes.

Bobo T. Chimpanzee

DC Universe
Species
pan troglodytes
Occupation
Private Eye
Alignment
Neutral Good
link
Uh-oh. Just what was he getting into here?
"Please, it's Bobo. Mister Chimpanzee was my father."
Following behind Ms. Lee, Bobo took one look into the filing room and... well, immediately saw what she was driving at. Yikes.

"...Wow. That... sure is a filing room, huh?
God damn. While Lenalee had almost certainly done her best with whatever was in here, it was also painfully obvious to Bobo that she'd been left an extraordinarily shitty hand to deal with. Rubbing the back of his head, he glanced around the room a bit and tried to make sense of what he was looking at, then sighed.

"All right, point taken. Guess this isn't going to be as simple as I thought..."
Well, there was nothing else for it. He needed to crack this case, and the only thread he could think of right now was buried somewhere in this room. Adjusting his hat slightly, Bobo drew himself up - or as far up as one could at 4ft 6in tall - and prepared to get his hands dirty, metaphorically speaking.

But first, it was time to try and extend the favour a touch.
"Er, have you got a spare hour or two?"

• Love

Lenalee Lee

D.Gray-man
Species
Human
Occupation
Being in a coma, mostly
Alignment
True Neutral
Relationship Status
/w Giorno Giovanna
link

"Then please, call me Lenalee," she replied, inclining her head slightly. The politeness was easy, the mask fitted into place as it always was, even as her thoughts were...split. There was the wariness that was always there, the fear, the paranoia that someone wasn't who they were pretending to be, a survival instinct that she couldn't afford to lose, even in this place, even as she knew that Akuma only impersonated humans and Bobo was fine. She just...didn't think about it. She couldn't afford to.

"Yeah, it sure is...something," Lenalee said, wishing that she had got Lavi to sort it out while he had still worked at DI. But, back then, even the idea of him being in a different room, of letting him out of her sight, seemed impossible, so it had never really happened, and he was far too busy with his new job and everything it entailed to help her out, so she didn't want to ask.

She blinked at the question, thinking over what she needed to done today. It wasn't anything major, and the practice was....pretty well dead, everyone without appointments or on their lunch breaks, or out chasing leads for a case. And...she wouldn't trap her tenth-worst enemy in this filing room alone. Ignoring everything else, this was Pandora, so it was probably haunted. "Sure!" Lenalee responded, brightly. "What are you looking for?"

• Love
Reactions: Bobo T. Chimpanzee

Bobo T. Chimpanzee

DC Universe
Species
pan troglodytes
Occupation
Private Eye
Alignment
Neutral Good
link
Oh thank God, she was up for helping.

Bobo had a lot of skills, but traditional filing systems and their sorting/searching was not really one of them. By the time he'd gained sentience, one of the big hairless lunks had finally figured out that going digital was the way to the future, and virtually everything Bobo had ever needed in terms of case files was sorted carefully into an online drive he had protected with every means at his disposal.

This? It was basically a whole new world, and needed a different kind of expert.

"Well, it's like this; there've been several disappearances lately where the person or persons took up a course in the occult before they vanished. Could just be Pandora being Pandora, but a guy likes to be sure - especially if he's being paid pretty good money to figure this stuff out."

Moving into the room slightly, Bobo eyed one of the nearby cabinets as if it were a predatory beast just waiting to attack. Then, gearing up for the job ahead, he turned to Lenalee.
"Reckon you can help me find out if there's anything in here that sounds similar?"

• Love

Lenalee Lee

D.Gray-man
Species
Human
Occupation
Being in a coma, mostly
Alignment
True Neutral
Relationship Status
/w Giorno Giovanna
link

Yeah, that was...strange. People disappeared from Pandora all the time, but generally the most common thread between them was being from the same world, not something like an occult course. It was interesting, of course, but she could understand why this was something that Bobo was interested in investigating. If someone was kidnapping people, than it had to be investigated, and if this meant that someone had figured out how to send people home from Pandora, than that was also interesting. Lenalee didn't know if, given the choice, she would stay here or go home to the Order, but having the choice, in of itself, would be interesting.

And terrifying.

"Of course!" she said brightly, probably slightly too brightly for someone asked to investigate a likely chronic string of kidnappings. "A lot of this stuff is pre-Calamity, so the locations are different and it's all dated quite strangely. If you need context about how pre-Calamity information relates to current day Pandora, you'll need to talk to Toby." For a while, there had been Stiles and HB, as well, those that remembered the Calamity and the not the hundred years which had happened between. Now? Just Toby, and she didn't talk much about pre-Calamity.

Looking around the file room, Lenalee repressed a shudder. It really was truly awful. "I think...there?" she said, pointing to a pile of files taller than she was, "are the files about kidnappings and suspicious disappearances. It's probably a good place to start."

• Love

Bobo T. Chimpanzee

DC Universe
Species
pan troglodytes
Occupation
Private Eye
Alignment
Neutral Good
link
The whole "Calamity" thing had been difficult to get his head around, Bobo recalled. He'd spent a not-inconsiderable amount of time in the local library doing nothing but poring over books that supposedly explained it, and even now he was a little unclear as to what had happened and why. Perhaps even the authors didn't really know - it was clearly that kind of event.

Nevertheless, he appreciated the heads-up, and went to work on the pile that Lenalee had indicated. It was... a pile, all right. Thankfully it was a bit better sorted than it looked at first glance, and Bobo soon found his rhythm.

"Hm. Y'know, there's a lot of interesting stuff in here. If this was a hobby for me and not a job where I get paid per active case, I might be tempted to spend a bit of time going through all these and trying to crack some of them. Hell, maybe I'll do that anyway..."

Aha. Pulling out a small stack of files from the mountain with a grunt, Bobo steadied the remaining paperwork with his free hand before waddling over to a nearby desk. Or maybe it was a coffee table; it was hard to tell under the notepaper scattered across it. Plopping his find down, Bobo pulled it open and nodded.
"I think we got something here. Occult signs found at missing persons' homes, person in question seen checking out all kinds of weird books before their eventual disappearance... do you remember any of these cases? Like, at the time they were still open?"

• Love

Lenalee Lee

D.Gray-man
Species
Human
Occupation
Being in a coma, mostly
Alignment
True Neutral
Relationship Status
/w Giorno Giovanna
link

"If you talk to Toby, she might be happy to pay you to sort this room out," Lenalee suggested. It was a chore which no one wanted to do, or had to time for, so if Bobo was up for it, even if it was an excuse to dive into some of these cold cases, she thought that Toby would be willing to at least hear him out. "I think at least some of these have a police reward for solving them, too. The robberies, at least." There were a few jewel and bank robberies that the police had sent to them, hoping that they'd be able to solve them. There was a reward for information involving the case, or for finding the culprits, and though they were old, Lenalee didn't remember hearing anything about a time limit on them.

Lenalee skimmed through the file in front of her. A disappearance, seemingly just from Pandora, but the wife was convinced that something more was at work. Sadly, everything showed a sign of being as normal, leaving DI to put aside the case, and the wife to grieve her lost lover. A couple of recent disappearances linked to the Wastes, but nothing substantial...a drug dealer, supposedly making his base in the Wastes, but DI was....oh. She was going to murder Gio when he got back.

"Vaguely?" Lenalee replied. "I rarely look deeply into the cases beyond what I need to assign them, and not all of them go through me anyway. But that one...I think it wasn't exactly normal? I don't remember how, though."

• Love

Bobo T. Chimpanzee

DC Universe
Species
pan troglodytes
Occupation
Private Eye
Alignment
Neutral Good
link
Pausing for a moment, Bobo thought that one over.
"...Eh. If she wants to pay me more for it, I'm up for that - but I'll be honest with you, I'd probably end up just doing it anyway even if she didn't. Sometimes solving a mystery is satisfying for its own sake, y'know?"

Bobo examined the case he'd found more closely. Yeah, the details all fit all right. Why hadn't it been picked up at the time? A further few seconds of examination brought him his answer - by the time DI had gotten involved, the person who'd reported it had vanished, a classic case of Go-Home if ever there was one. Without a witness, the case had ground to a halt.

"Hmm. Unusual, huh? I wonder... hey, have you got a magnifying glass? This picture's a bit unclear."
Squinting, Bobo tried to make out the books in question from one of the photos. It wasn't a very good shot, unfortunately, but there was something about the pattern of designs on the book's spine that sent the wrong kind of shiver up Bobo's back.

At the back of his mind he could almost feel the static forming, that sense of being close to something vital. He just had to prove it.

• Love

Lenalee Lee

D.Gray-man
Species
Human
Occupation
Being in a coma, mostly
Alignment
True Neutral
Relationship Status
/w Giorno Giovanna
link

"I don't, but whatever makes you happy," Lenalee replied. She understood occasionally doing things for how satisfying they could be. It was one of the reasons she enjoyed sorting and filing paperwork. She felt happier when everything was in its right place, or the smile on someone's face when she brought them a fresh cup of coffee. Small but satisfying things. She had never really gotten it from solving a mystery, finding it better that some things be left alone....

...but she did work at a detective agency. It was, in a way, inevitable.

Lenalee paused. She didn't have a magnifying glass, but there was something that she had that was similar, she just needed to remember what. What did she have on her? Wallet, golem, phone, sugar pack-- ah. Pulling her phone out of her pocket, she opened the camera function, and pressed the zoom. "I don't have a magnifying glass, but hopefully this will do."

• Love

Current Season

Status Updates

Not that it's a contest or anything... but guess who just made their first friend and now has a planned playdate meeting with them? Yeah, I'm just that impressive.
microwaved a pop-tart, cried for 10 minutes.
the future is now
S.O.S HOW TF DO YOU UNSWIPE ON PINDER I MESSED UP
One day left to sign up for Labyrinth of the Beast! Can you survive the labyrinth?
Click here!

Featured Wanteds

Staff

Donate to Pandora

Enjoying Pandora? Consider donating to us!
All donations go towards server costs, software licenses, add-ons, themes, and future development work.

Current Events

Recent Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ben Hargreeves
Top Bottom