By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

Implemented Government Positions: Brainstorm & Discussion

Steel

✧・゚: *✧・゚* we are starstuff *・゚✧*:・゚✧
Pronouns
She/Her
Alignment
Chaotic Good
Organizer
link
Directory
link

Government Positions
Brainstorm & Discussion Thread

Hey there, everyone! Staff has been hashing out how we can pspspsps more people into government positions and we've finally got some ideas ironed out! But! We'd love to hear your opinions on whether you all feel this is a viable system, a good step in the right direction, how we can improve on what we've already thought up, etc. We'd really love to hear your thoughts, so please don't hesitate to provide us with as many ideas and feedback as possible! We'll read every single comma. <3

So, without further ado, here are some thoughts we've hammered out so far:
  • Removing 9-month terms. There will be no more time limits with govt. positions, giving characters in said positions chances to implement changes and improvements over a longer period of time.
    • Characters can step down whenever they want, and elections/promotions open for other govt. members and characters when this happens or when a character is dropped.
  • Back to 3 posts per Activity Check. Instead of doing 5 posts a month, you'll drop back down to 3 like everyone else. You'll see why in a couple of bullet points!
  • Creating a govt. organization/group. This should help heads and other govt. officials alike by having everything in one place, making plotting and discussion easier than ever!
  • Govt. updates from heads/leaders. At least one per season! Essentially, with dropping back down to 3 posts per Activity Check, we'll be needing proof you've been active in your position instead, or else we will ask you to step down. More detail on that below!
    • BONUS! Govt. members who aren't heads/leaders can also submit govt. updates, which can be taken into account for future promotions/elections!

What's a Govt. Update?Some examples are as follow:
  • Threading out work-related stuff.
  • Imposing policies.
  • Political intrigue.
  • Reacting to news articles/seasonal events. i.e. if a serial killer is on the loose and it makes the news, the commander of the city watch can react and implement stricter safety measures.
  • And whatever else would fall under similar examples!
Looking forwards to your feedback, everyone!!

Upvote 0

ScorpioRat

Application Division
I really like the idea of government groups since I sort of struggled to find a good way to plot that out without individually asking people if they were interested. The policy updates might require some boundaries though depending on how much it affects life in that area.

Allunara

Application Division
Pronouns
She/Her
I really like the dropping of the 9 month term obligation because in the nature of Pandora where people can disappear and appear at random it seems a bit odd to me

And the group would be amazing, i know i would like to do more official business stuff with Ardyn but it is a bit difficult to plot that sort of thing without straight up dming someone to ask and that can be a smidge intimidating

Siri

je suis loser
Application Division
Organizer
link
THIS IS GOOD SHIT

despite not having anybody super into government anymore sdkfjs I love all of this, especially getting rid of the 9 month term/5 AC posts in exchange for consistent proof of activity in the role. I have nothing constructive to add other than the fact that it's a v v v good idea and I love you guys for coming up with it!!

tho one thing is that I can see the organization/group having an initial spurt of activity before petering out as is what happens to 99% of groups dslfj. Maybe there can be a standard for regional leaders to update their own trackers and timelines within the group to encourage organization and use?

Rani

MODgician
Technical Division
Organizer
link
THIS IS GOOD SHIT

despite not having anybody super into government anymore sdkfjs I love all of this, especially getting rid of the 9 month term/5 AC posts in exchange for consistent proof of activity in the role. I have nothing constructive to add other than the fact that it's a v v v good idea and I love you guys for coming up with it!!

tho one thing is that I can see the organization/group having an initial spurt of activity before petering out as is what happens to 99% of groups dslfj. Maybe there can be a standard for regional leaders to update their own trackers and timelines within the group to encourage organization and use?

Hi Siri! To expand on your 2nd paragraph, one thing we currently have in mind is that there will be a space in the Government Group that will explicitly be for character-specific govt activity trackers. The first post could be like an overview/list of everything. And then each reply is an update notification.

So, that's where staff would be looking to make sure the seasonal activity/proof requirements are met. And I think it would be a good place for govt people to see what others are up to, so everybody can be on the same page.

Those are our current thoughts on the matter, at least. We'd love to hear any additional ideas on actually tracking the govt activity.

Mako

MINUS FIVE STARS
Alignment
Neutral Good
Organizer
link
all righty fellas time to note down some muh fuggin POINTS

Dropping the 9-month rule is 100% a good idea, I concur with everyone. No govt on actual-earth has anything like as short a term because it'd simply be impossible to get anything done in, and while obviously the point of it was to encourage new people to take up the roles on a regular basis and keep things from stagnating, I think getting rid of it would probably let people's characters grow into their new role more easily and make it more attractive from a plotting standpoint.

That said! I think certain types of governments DO require "term limits," so to speak - liberal democracies hold elections at regular intervals rather than waiting for someone to step down, for instance, and it'd be good to have that in canon in some way. Perhaps this'd depend on the area and how it was run, but you could do something like an "election" every three/five years which uses a randomiser like the Calan Mai stuff to decide who wins - and depending on IC threads to campaign for it for it or activities you've done in office, you get certain advantages?

I like the proposed switch from 5-post-ACs to Updates instead, this seems like a much better system to me. I think it's obviously important to have active players in the top jobs, but there's a fine balance to strike here in terms of encouraging activity without making things feel like busywork just to keep up with what's required. I think it'll also make it more of an attractive plot opportunity for newer players too, as I think the prospect of having to post so much having just joined might be a bit intimidating and it seems a shame to push people away from plots they might otherwise have a lot of fun with!

As for the government group, I think that's a really good idea. Like Scorpio, I'd love to see more plotting between heads of state/big figures, and this'd be just the way to make that happen I think. Not much else to add, this all seems very good to me!

Andii

Coordinator
Plots & Lore Division
Organizer
link
all righty fellas time to note down some muh fuggin POINTS

Dropping the 9-month rule is 100% a good idea, I concur with everyone. No govt on actual-earth has anything like as short a term because it'd simply be impossible to get anything done in, and while obviously the point of it was to encourage new people to take up the roles on a regular basis and keep things from stagnating, I think getting rid of it would probably let people's characters grow into their new role more easily and make it more attractive from a plotting standpoint.

That said! I think certain types of governments DO require "term limits," so to speak - liberal democracies hold elections at regular intervals rather than waiting for someone to step down, for instance, and it'd be good to have that in canon in some way. Perhaps this'd depend on the area and how it was run, but you could do something like an "election" every three/five years which uses a randomiser like the Calan Mai stuff to decide who wins - and depending on IC threads to campaign for it for it or activities you've done in office, you get certain advantages?

I like the proposed switch from 5-post-ACs to Updates instead, this seems like a much better system to me. I think it's obviously important to have active players in the top jobs, but there's a fine balance to strike here in terms of encouraging activity without making things feel like busywork just to keep up with what's required. I think it'll also make it more of an attractive plot opportunity for newer players too, as I think the prospect of having to post so much having just joined might be a bit intimidating and it seems a shame to push people away from plots they might otherwise have a lot of fun with!

As for the government group, I think that's a really good idea. Like Scorpio, I'd love to see more plotting between heads of state/big figures, and this'd be just the way to make that happen I think. Not much else to add, this all seems very good to me!

So to clarify, you mean that should a character stick around for "x" amount of time (varying by government/region) a general vote should still be placed there OR that even if the character would be voted back in, there should be a maximum limit to how long they can be in power (aka, 8 years max via US President, in example)?

Just wanna make sure which one you mean with this! @Mako

Mako

MINUS FIVE STARS
Alignment
Neutral Good
Organizer
link
The former! So like, let's take fuckin..................... Pandopolis as the example. Every four years, they go to a general election, so if a character has stuck around that long they can run for their current position while others run for it also. You can also have by-elections using the same system should a character NOT stick around that long in order to fill the now-vacant position. Does that make sense?

Andii

Coordinator
Plots & Lore Division
Organizer
link
Yes! I just wanted to make sure I had understood what you were saying correctly!

So putting a longer term limit on someone sticking around that long but using that same voting system should someone step down or vanish before said term is up!

I think this is a great idea and would help make the system feel more natural!

Ophelia

a commie DC fan dreaming of a guy called George

oh myyyyyyyyyyy a political thread​

i think the 9 months thing was established due to characters coming and going, but also, to prevent someone from hogging all power and go wild. but im in favor of abolishing it too, bc it feels super limiting. i'd suggest to keep elections for places where exciting things come out of them -points at elysium- and they make sense IC. perhaps the majority of the vales and the wastes do not need really them, since they do their own thing anyway. goodbye 5 posts too, u were stressing af​

i especially like the idea of regional updates, as well as encouragement between the players( will pandora ever be like star trek where everybody co operates with each other or will each region kinda do their ur own thing idk, but we can see where it goes and more interaction within the regions and also with each other is gonna help , i feel. itd be interesting , for threading reasons, to know what the Vales think of the Alliance, or what Cascade Bay thinks of Oakheart). ​

i'll be honest that in my case I basically feel in charge and while thats not as much of a big deal when it comes to a small territory like Aetheria, it's pretty substantial when it comes to Lethe. I have to assume a lot of the Undertaker's orders, which is a lot of creative freedom, but im 100% eager to co operate with a mod??? or someone in charge of the wastes??? so we can do things together instead of me just imaging stuff and headcannoning but im super flexible in general. there surely aint no elections in Lethe tho asdfghjkl super looking forward to the way the regional thingies are gonna be organised and super eager to take part in the Vales' one with Harley, as well as give my input for the Wastes​

Steel

✧・゚: *✧・゚* we are starstuff *・゚✧*:・゚✧
Pronouns
She/Her
Alignment
Chaotic Good
Organizer
link
Directory
link

i'd suggest to keep elections for places where exciting things come out of them -points at elysium- and they make sense IC. perhaps the majority of the vales and the wastes do not need really them, since they do their own thing anyway.
Oh this is an interesting idea! I really like the idea of each place doing things differently. Ark City, Pandopolis and Elysium operating on elections, Cascade Bay on a more traditional, even monarchical set-up, and Lethe... well, survival of the fittest, fam!

I have to assume a lot of the Undertaker's orders, which is a lot of creative freedom, but im 100% eager to co operate with a mod??? or someone in charge of the wastes??? so we can do things together instead of me just imaging stuff and headcannoning but im super flexible in general.
As the Wastes are my brainchild I would 1701% be happy to help you hash out any headcanons and the like as far as Talia executing the Undertaker's orders/wishes/etc are concerned to give you (and anyone else interested in politicking in the Wastes) as much creative freedom with the region's limitations as possible!

( will pandora ever be like star trek where everybody co operates with each other or will each region kinda do their ur own thing idk, but we can see where it goes and more interaction within the regions and also with each other is gonna help , i feel. itd be interesting , for threading reasons, to know what the Vales think of the Alliance, or what Cascade Bay thinks of Oakheart )
Oh god this is my DREAM!! Someday, alliances everywhere. Inter-regional alliances. Regional alliances. Just, yes. (Can you imagine a pan-regional council meeting with the Undertaker or a rep? Mwahahaha.)

Ideally, smaller cities/towns/etc. would be able to plot with larger ones in this group/organization we'll be setting up, so I'd love to see plotting involving smaller pockets of civilizations with the city hubs down the road, too!!

Current Season

Status Updates

I could really use more stuff to do with Palmer, if anyone's interested in plotting?
//So Oscar got Chaotic Good in the legendary Alignment Test. What I do with this information is now a Work in Progress...//
Hey broskis. Sorry I've been borderline AWOL for the better part of a year. Things have been a little meh and I feel like I'm stretched so damn thin right now. I wanna come back and write with you guys again, but idk when that's gonna be. Hope you're all doing well. <3
This is not...lingonberry jam? Who delivered??

Featured Wanteds

Staff

Donate to Pandora

Enjoying Pandora? Consider donating to us!
All donations go towards server costs, software licenses, add-ons, themes, and future development work.

Current Events

Recent Posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guido Mista
Top Bottom