By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

Complete Hitting The Right Note

Carter J. Burke

Alien
The Company Man
Species
Human
Height
5'10″
Occupation
Director (Weyland Technologies)
Alignment
Lawful Evil
Relationship Status
Single
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link

July 25th, Year 109
The Library, Severed Haven
Participants: @Abigail Hobbs

It was late in the evening when Carter Burke had arrived at the Library, but there was no sign that the activity inside it was dwindling. The place was lively with an assortment of guests - some familiar and others brand new - chatting, dining and generally occupying themselves with whatever suited their fancy. It wasn’t too difficult to pick out a couple of acquaintances from the crowd, what with the masks they donned unchanging from the previous night and to a certain degree, reflecting their personalities. The disguise of his choice was custom-made and consisted of expensive metal, its
appearance bio-mechanical and intimidating, albeit far less than the creature that had inspired such a style.

His first stop was the bar, where he ordered a champagne and gathered a selection of dark chocolates which he’d taken a liking to during his initial visit. Glass in hand, he made his way across the room, introducing himself to the unfamiliar visitors and catching up with those he knew. He gave each person just a minute or two’s length of a chat so as to not take up too much of their time or his own, and also due to the fact that the pianist in particular had caught his attention. He felt fairly sure that she was a complete stranger until he took notice of the scarf that was strategically wrapped around her neck.

Swallowing a sip of his drink, Burke approached the pianist, who seemed to be wrapping up the piece she’d been playing for the last several minutes. Now, he found, was the opportune time to greet the girl without appearing too impolite, and perhaps make amends with her after that unfortunate happening had occurred at the ice cream shop if she was indeed whom he’d suspected she was. Stepping up to the side of the piano, he nodded his head and smiled in greeting. “That's a very nice song you played just now.” Before daring to speak another word, he waited to see her reaction, in case she was somebody entirely different or had forgotten who he was, though he assumed that the latter wasn’t very likely.

Reactions: Abigail Hobbs

Abigail Hobbs

Hannibal
Species
Human
Occupation
Cashier/Scooper at Scoops Ahoy
Playing for others was very new to Abigail. She kept her head down, staring at her fingers as they danced over the keys and played only classic compositions that Hannibal had taught her well. When she finished, her plan was to dart back into the kitchens, do some prep work for tomorrow and then sneak out the back door.

A voice, a very familiar voice, stopped her. She turned her head to make sure it belonged to Mr. Burke. Even with the mask, she knew it was him. The color drained from her face and her mouth opened ever so slightly. How? Steve was gone and Kuzco too. Even Eliot was gone and he only hung around the store for Steve. Surely, Burke would have been at the top of Justin's list. With a literal bullet, unless Justin deemed a gunshot too quick.

"Thank you?" Abigail hadn't intended that to sound like a question. Hannibal had drilled manners into her. It was simply such a shock to see him. And also a surprise that he was complimenting her playing. He must not have not known that she worked in the kitchens too, or he'd be running to tell Mr. Gray about her 'brother' and the incident at Scoops Ahoy. On top of all of that, how did Burke get a library membership? He was a former ice cream shop manager and according to the last rumor she heard, he worked at a KFC.

"You're alive?" That was meant to be a question. "Or dead and alive again?" Abigail had heard that could happen in Pandora. It added a challenge to Hannibal's hobbies when he was still there. "He's not here if you're worried about that. I doubt he'd ever be allowed in here." She figured Burke would know that she meant Justin. Even though he was alive by some miracle, he must have been aware of the threat Justin posed.

Reactions: Carter J. Burke

Carter J. Burke

Alien
The Company Man
Species
Human
Height
5'10″
Occupation
Alignment
Lawful Evil
Relationship Status
Single
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link

He kept up the pleasant smile as she cast her gaze on him, remaining quiet so she’d have a turn to speak and therefore reveal her identity. Though he wasn’t confident enough to assume she was Abigail by her mere appearance - what with at least half of her face concealed - her voice would be the dead giveaway. And as it turned out, so was the reaction she immediately showed upon seeing his own masked visage.

“You’re welcome, Miss…” Burke responded, his words trailing off as he inaudibly mouthed her surname, not out of respect toward the rule of anonymity alone but also because he was slightly taken aback. It would have made perfect sense that she was surprised, as she’d only ever known him as the manager of a lowly and unimportant ice cream parlor - but the questions that followed the thank you did have him wondering.

“N-no,” he answered, sounding a bit confused. “I uh, I’m not sure what you’re talking about.” Burke chuckled lightly, sipping deeply from his beverage all while keeping his eyes trained on Abigail. She was definitely baffled by his presence but not only because of his acceptance into the secret society. The look she’d worn on her face gave off the impression of somebody who had just seen a ghost. Of course, it didn’t take him much longer to realize why she suspected he could have died, or rather, had been murdered as Justin McCay was referenced.

Burke frowned and swallowed the mouthful of champagne too quickly. Though his name was left unspoken, the very notion of that psychotic McCay made him anxious. “Okay, now I think I understand,” he said, pausing to clear his throat and then adding softly, “you know, he actually did try to kill me.” Burke’s face turned a shade paler as he recalled that unpleasant ride around Centria he'd been forced to take while strapped to an ice cream truck. It was probably best not to reflect upon that.

He unwrapped one of the chocolates he’d picked up from the bar and popped it into his mouth before smoothly changing the subject. “So uh, how’d you end up in here? Family connection, or something like that?” He was genuinely curious as to how Abigail had gone from a fast food server to a pianist at a prestigious club. Perhaps she’d worked her way up the food chain just as he had.

Last edited:

Abigail Hobbs

Hannibal
Species
Human
Occupation
Even in her confusion, there was a moment of amusement in Abigail's mind. Burke was following the rules now, when it suited him. He could have shown up in a head-to-toe gorilla costume and she still might have recognized him. She didn't believe in auras exactly. Some people simply had a way about them. Burke practically screamed he'd do anything to get ahead, while trying to be subtle about it. A unique type of insincere. She'd never met anyone else like him, in her admittedly limited experience.

Abigail stayed quiet until Burke caught on to the fact she was talking about Justin. It took him longer than she thought it would. "You're more of a survivor than you look." It wasn't an insult. She was the same way - survived the shrike, Hannibal (as far as she knew) and Justin. "Kuzco. Steve. Eliot. They're all gone." There was a hint of sadness in her voice. She wanted to ask so many questions. Did he know, care, remember the faces that went with the names, even know Eliot - did he give a thought to what would happen after he left Scoops. The way the color drained from his face kept her from asking them. "You'll find ways to live with whatever he did." Her way of telling him that he'd be okay.

"A friend got me a chance to cook for Mr. Gr...the owner." Abigail answered. "He hired me as a chef." Friend sounded better than fellow gang member and chef sounded better than cook. She wanted to seem like she belonged; she was more than an ice cream scooper. "He lets me play piano and gives me lessons. Practicing is therapeutic; it helps with my hearing loss. And I enjoy it." She smiled. There may have been a small touch of wanting to show that she could get along with a boss. She was mostly making conversation though. "What about you? Are shop managers getting memberships?"

Carter J. Burke

Alien
The Company Man
Species
Human
Height
5'10″
Occupation
Alignment
Lawful Evil
Relationship Status
Single
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link

Burke smiled a little and averted his gaze from hers in an almost bashful manner as he was dubbed a survivor. He hadn’t ever thought of himself that way, especially not after he was almost killed by a Xenomorph back at Hadley’s Hope when he was trying to escape from Ripley and the angry Marines. When he thought about it, he’d come close to death loads of times in Pandora too, from attacks from several other Xenomorphs to vampires without fangs. It suddenly occurred to him what Abigail meant. Despite all of the danger he’d found himself in, he kept escaping by the skin of his teeth. It was either due to pure luck, or because the Pantheon favored him for some inexplicable reason.

He returned his gaze on her as she mentioned his other former employees and his smile faded. Damn, it had been so long since he’d heard or spoken those names. Two of them at least - Burke had never heard of Eliot. Regardless, he hadn’t given the others much of a thought until now but he could still recall who they were - the teenage boy with the attitude and the egomaniac who often turned into a llama. “Gone? Wh-what are you..?” Burke paused for a moment, then swallowed a lump in his throat as he figured out exactly what she was saying. “I’m...I’m real sorry about that,” he said quietly, though he felt more disturbed than sympathetic.

Thankful, the subject had changed to a more lighthearted one. He perked up a little as he nearly mentioned the owner’s name. “Mr. Who?” The color began to return to his face, and a curious expression lit up his features. “Are you close with the Head Librarian?” It was hard for him not to wonder if name-dropping Miss Hobbs would benefit him. He supposed he’d have to find an opportunity later. “I uh, I wasn’t aware you were hard of hearing,” he continued, stopping himself from saying anything else on the subject in case it made her uncomfortable. That would only give McCay another reason to be out for his blood.

Her question regarding his membership almost made him chuckle. “I don’t uh...I’m not associated with Scoops Ahoy any more. That was...that was temporary. I only signed up for that ‘cause...I had just ended in Pandora and I needed a source of income and fast. I’m a senior manager at WeyTech now. Meetings and paperwork, that kind of thing. A lot more of what I’m used to.” He took a sip of his drink, looking a little proud of himself.
“Do you like to cook, Miss Hobbs? I never pegged you as a chef.”

Abigail Hobbs

Hannibal
Species
Human
Occupation
"Me too." Abigail murmured after he said he was sorry. She meant it. She was sorry she hadn't found a job that was a better fit for Justin. Sorry she hadn't checked up on him more at work. Sorry she hadn't kept him away from her friends. Sorry she needed Justin as a friend and protector, even if it meant more lives would be lost. She was as full of guilt over him as she was over Hannibal and her father, seeing the killings as her fault and not theirs.

Abigail wasn't sure if close was the right word. "I think he sees a potential in me. I guess that he wants to nurture it." She answered. Gray had that in common with Hannibal. That reminder of her foster father was part of the reason she enjoyed spending time with him.

Abigail blinked. Her grand gesture of showing off her ears scars, after their confrontation on first day of work, had gone completely unnoticed or forgotten by him. "I lost an ear back on my world. I can still hear on that side, with the inner ear. The sound is muffled by the scars. And losing the outer ear makes it hard to tell which direction a sound is coming from." She explained.

"I'm going to let you in on a little secret." Abigail leaned closer to him, as if she were about to impart valuable information. "Needing a source of income and fast is the only reason to work at Scoops." She chuckled. "It's no one's long term goal to be ice cream captain." No one had even wanted to take over as manager when he left, as far as she had seen. Meetings and paperwork sounded dreadfully boring, which she figured actually would suit Burke. He did seem proud of it.

Abigail held herself back from frowning. Her pain au chocolat was apparently as memorable as her missing ear. Or Burke made a distinction between baking and cooking. "I love to cook." Most importantly, she liked to know exactly what she was eating. "I also hunt, sketch, play harpsichord. I have two dogs." It was easier to keep smiling when she was talking about the things she loved. All better than meetings and paperwork. Though a part of her did miss writing papers as a student.

Carter J. Burke

Alien
The Company Man
Species
Human
Height
5'10″
Occupation
Alignment
Lawful Evil
Relationship Status
Single
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link

Burke gave her an apologetic look, then looked down at his feet and shuffled them in a nervous sort of way. It genuinely scared him to think that Justin had offed his three fellow coworkers, that they hadn’t been able to escape his maniacal methods of torture. How he and the psychopath’s so-called sister were the last ones standing would have made him feel proud if not for the fact that the killer was still on the loose. When he thought about it, it was pretty surprising that Abigail seemed to be faring pretty well with a madman as her not-quite-brother and that brought a question to mind.

“You...still live with him, don’t you, kiddo?” He sounded almost sorry as he said it, but then he paused as he made a realization out of speaking those words. Abigail knew Justin well, probably well enough to know what he was up to, even if only vaguely. Perhaps that knowledge would prove beneficial to him. There was a very good possibility that she could very well be the key to his avoiding Mr. McCay. “You wouldn’t happen to know if he’s...gone back to the ice cream shop, would ya? And I’m not talking about a once-a-week visit.” He’d phrased it so casually but he still hoped she’d take the bait and tell him if he’d applied for another job at a business he could easily avoid.

Burke’s expression became thoughtful at the mention of her missing ear. Had that been what he’d seen that day? Nearly a year had gone by since the fiasco at Scoops and he was pretty sure he’d seen a scar on her neck. Of course, there was a chance he’d looked away from her before his gaze trailed over to the side of her head. Work had been terribly hectic, after all. “I’m sorry to hear that. You know, you play so well, I never would’ve guessed,” he said, pretending he’d never seen any scar on her at all. Having her scarf removed had been a mistake on his part and that was best left forgotten.

He, too, chuckled at the comment she made about the undesirable position of ice cream captain, or so she had called it. When she claimed she enjoyed cooking, his eyes lit up a bit, though the mask on his face would make that difficult to discern. The pain au chocolat she’d brought to Scoops were delicious, but he hadn’t assumed she’d baked them herself. “Oh, so those chocolate pastries...those were yours, huh?” He smiled as he recalled them. “I’m sorry...I thought your mother might’ve...”

His voice trailed off as he realized it was unlikely either of her parents were even in Pandora. If they had, they’d probably have forced her to move away from Justin. Of course, thinking of these kinds of details would have been too hard after he’d just suffered a blow to his business in the form of laxative-laced ice cream. “You’re real talented, kiddo, I’ll give you that,” Burke admitted after she’d listed all of her hobbies. He suddenly put on a concerned face when she mentioned the dogs. “What...what kinda dogs are they?” He couldn’t help but hope they were the small and fluffy type. If McCay had somehow gotten a hold of her Rottweiler or pitbull, he would be even more of a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:

Abigail Hobbs

Hannibal
Species
Human
Occupation
Abigail felt a sudden need to explain. The same way she had felt pressured back home, to explain why she never turned her father in. "I do. He's good protection in case any of the worse monsters in my life show up in Pandora." She also cared about Justin in a way that was very difficult to explain to the average person, let alone someone who knew what he was capable of. Her experiences with her father and Hannibal had led her develop a unique view of family.

Abigail gave his next question a moment of thought. "I think he may have followed Kuzco home from there." It would be an easy way to get victims alone. "I think he might still watch the shop occasionally. But he doesn't actually go inside." She kept trying to think of a new job for him, one that wouldn't involve contact with the public. He couldn't fixate on her or others while he was working. Maybe. Hopefully. She'd learned that nothing was a hundred percent certain when it came to Justin.

"Thanks." That was what she wanted, to be normal and fit in. Wasn't it? Hannibal had told her she was beautiful. He said her scars, both on her neck and where her ear had been removed, showed her strength. Showed what she had survived. Since he had disappeared some time ago, she just felt like a freak.

Abigail looked down at the piano keys, reminded of those worse monsters. It wasn't Burke's fault. He couldn't have known. "Both my parents passed away, before I was brought to this world." Passed away sounded much nicer than dead or killed. Nice club, nice words.

Abigail was about to give another thanks. As she looked up, she saw concern in his eyes. Strange. Dogs had to be one of the least scary topics in Pandora. "A golden retriever and a husky." She answered. That was what they looked like. Given the little time she had with Will before he left again, and the many other issues they had to discuss, she had never asked about their breeds. Plus, they were strays that he rescued, he might not even have known for certain.

"Do you have dogs? If not, you should consider it. Justin's afraid of them." Abigail said. A little survival tip between survivors. If she knew what he was thinking, she might have laughed. He should be much more worried about Justin getting his hands on her rifle, than Winston or Abbie.

Carter J. Burke

Alien
The Company Man
Species
Human
Height
5'10″
Occupation
Alignment
Lawful Evil
Relationship Status
Single
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link

“Protection?” A frown fell over his face as Abigail admitted what McCay was there for, and he turned a shade paler once more. The mere notion of there being creatures from her world that were worse than that madman did cause him to feel a little anxious, especially because of the possibility that they could appear in Pandora. He would have suspected these mystery monsters were akin to the Xenomorphs on Hadley’s Hope, but then he considered Justin. Though he hardly acted it, he was human and that would make him no match for the alien abominations.

“What kind of monsters are you referring to? A nemesis from high school? Evil step-sister?” It was hard not to be curious, and he also wanted to find out if the people from her past could somehow make a negative impact on his life if they ever showed up. If so, there was no doubt he would need the chance to prepare himself for a potential encounter with them.

He did find it a little surprising that she was okay being shacked up with a crazed murderer and how she seemed almost nonchalant about it. She kept herself so collected as she spoke of her false brother’s habit of stalking around Scoops Ahoy and following that llama guy home that it didn’t seem entirely normal. Burke recalled her comment about her learning to live with what he did and wondered if the haunts of her past had hardened her. When she made mention of her deceased parents, he got the feeling his theory wasn’t far off.

“I’m sorry,” Burke said coolly, taking another short-lived sip of his drink afterwards. “What happened? Was there an accident? Or...” His voice trailed off as he almost referred to the monsters again. “You don't have to talk about it if it makes you uncomfortable.” He paused to give her a regretful look, hoping he hadn’t crossed a line and made her angry.

His expression quickly changed from concern to relief upon her mention of Justin’s fear of dogs. “Like an elephant scared of a mouse, huh?” he mused, chuckling lightly. It seemed funny that somebody with such a chaotic, reckless personality would be terrified of a Golden Retriever. “No, no pets,” Burke answered her question. “But WeyTech, it uh...it has its fair share of security dogs. I’m talking pinschers, German Shepherds. Nothing so docile as a retriever.” Again he chuckled, feeling pleased that McCay had a weakness.
“I can’t imagine that your...your brother would have a chance against ‘em.”

Last edited:

Abigail Hobbs

Hannibal
Species
Human
Occupation
Content Warning

Abigail simply nodded. She'd had Hannibal and Will as protectors when she was first in Pandora. And after the calamity, Will had come back into her life for a short time. Without them, she always felt afraid because she knew what monsters humans could be. Justin filled that need to be protected. She supposed she filled a gap in his life too, the sister he lost. Justin and his sister. Hannibal and Mischa.

"Evil step-sister? Really? Between the two of us, I think you'd be the one to have traits in common with Cinderella - you know, social climbing." Abigail commented. Her advances had been almost accidental. She met Max by chance. She thought Grey was about to fire her when he caught her playing the piano without his permission. "Not any of the strange creatures we have here either. I can handle those with my rifle. I meant a person, much more dangerous than the guy who claims to be my brother."

"My dad was the monster. He killed my mom right before he.."
Abigail trailed off and moved her finger across her throat, over her scarf, indicating her dad slashing it. Burke already looked sorry. She wanted him to know why he was sorry. "When you took my scarf, you scared me. Hands near my neck." Her words were sad, rather than angry and she could feel a few tears down her face. She wiped at her eyes and blinked back the rest of her tears. No crying at work. She'd save that for when she was alone. "And you let everyone see that I was a victim." That ugly scar; the ugliest scar in the world, in her mind.

"A man working with the FBI killed my Dad." She added after a moment, looking down at the piano keys. "He had to, to save my life."

"Like a person with a phobia."
Abigail murmured softly after the elephant comment.. Justin wasn't an animal or monster. He was sick, sicker than her dad, genuinely delusional. For all she knew, he imagined the dogs as a pack of wolves about to tear him apart. There was a bit of guilt at using his fear against him - but it was better than the alternative.

"He's not my literal brother. Not even from the same world or the same time." Abigail paused for a moment. "He never had a chance. He had a bad parent too." She knew it wasn't what Burke meant, but it was the truth. Justin's story would end with him in jail, an institution, or shot down like her dad. She could only protect him for so long. "I think that's part of the reason he likes to see me as a sister. The families we make can be better than the ones we're born into. I had a guardian after my parents died. I don't think he had anyone." Just Dr. Hardy and hospitals. Hannibal has taken her out of the hospital and into his home. She hadn't been alone with her trauma in the same way.

Carter J. Burke

Alien
The Company Man
Species
Human
Height
5'10″
Occupation
Alignment
Lawful Evil
Relationship Status
Single
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link

Burke couldn’t help but roll his eyes at the Cinderella comment. “It wasn’t always like this, kiddo. I hope you understand that.” He let out a chuckle, though it was weak and halfhearted. The truth was that he’d been born with a metaphorical silver spoon in his mouth and that had come with a fair amount of perks, but his childhood hadn’t wasn’t what one would call a picnic in the park. Both his mother and father were a real piece of work, perhaps more ruthless and cutthroat than himself, but that was a topic he preferred not to discuss or even think about.

The offhand mention that she made of the strange creatures in Pandora did make him curious, and the thought of shy, meek Abigail handling a rifle amused him. He wanted to ask whether she’d encountered any beings with two sets of jaws and acid for blood but before he had the chance to, the subject had unexpectedly turned to the one he’d hoped to avoid.

Burke tensed up a little and glanced down at his feet as she described her father to be considerably more monstrous than Justin McCay. Recalling the incident of being tied to a truck and driven around by the elf-costumed bastard, he had his doubts there was any truth to that, but then he recalled his own father and the unspeakable methods he’d used to blackmail others. He thought of how sickened he’d felt as a boy when he’d learned of the old man’s sordid affairs. Compared to him, Justin was a mere nuisance, a fly that occasionally buzzed too close to his ear, only to leave right after. Maybe that was the way she felt about him, too.

He looked up at Abigail as her voice trailed off, and when she moved her hand in a slashing motion, his eyes softened beneath the mask he wore. “He hurt you,” Burke realized aloud, all traces of humor now gone. As she fought the urge to cry, all he could do was stare back while at a loss for words. “I’m sorry,” Burke finally said, his tone low, quiet and a little on the defensive side. “L-look, it...it was company policy, I didn’t know anything about that.” How could he have known? Up until the moment he’d confiscated it, that scarf had seemed like a simple trademark accessory she liked to wear and nothing more.

Regardless of what he had and hadn't known, she seemed to be less in favor of his company with every quip and comment he made, and he was beginning to fear that any onlookers might expect that he’d upset her, perhaps on purpose. His own mood had soured too, and he supposed it would remain that way until he went to bed and woke up the next morning. Still, they were both in dire need for the subject to be switched to something lighthearted before the gathering in the Library came to a close and fortunately, Burke had just the sort of thing in mind.

“Y-you wouldn’t...happen to take requests, would you?” he suddenly asked, forcing a smile as he turned to the piano and then back at her.
“Hey, how about you play your favorite song, huh? And I can uh...I’ll try to guess the tune. Maybe, with your musical taste, you can stump me on the spot. Does that sound okay?”

Last edited:

Abigail Hobbs

Hannibal
Species
Human
Occupation
"It wasn't always like this for any of us." Abigail pointed out. Pandora should be the great equalizer with everyone, except the locals, starting out with nothing and no history. It never seemed to work out like that though. And Burke had the feeling of someone who knew how to maneuver his way up the social ladder. She was no stranger to manipulation herself, though it had usually been for survival or to stay out of prison. Not grander goals.

"He hurt me in a lot of ways." Abigail said quietly. "I survived him. I was the only one of his victims that did." The last victim, as Freddie had called her. It was an odd source of both pride and shame. Her father never got what he wanted from her, but so many other girls had died in her place. "I'm a survivor too."

Abigail looked at Burke for a moment. He knew she had a scar; she had told him that much. Surely he must have known that scars on a neck didn't come from anything good. There had to be room for more in life than policies. "You have to be careful with scars. The ones you see and the ones you don't. As a survivor, you should know that now." Justin may not have cut off his ear or slit his throat. There could still be scars. "Do better for the people that work for you now." A bit of advice from the girl that has never been anyone's boss. Probably made her sound like she was harping. If it helped one girl, it was worth it.

Abigail nodded at his request and began the play the celebrated chop waltz, also known as chopsticks. She only played enough for him to catch on and hopefully realize it was a joke. She then sat up straighter and played Forqueray, Suite No. 4 - III. Sarabande: La D’Aubonne. She wasn't certain if it was her favorite. There was still a part of her that was a teenage girl, liking pop songs and other music that she could dance to. Still, it was one of the first pieces she learned to play from Hannibal and held a special place in her mind. When she was finished, she glanced at Burke and raised an eyebrow to see if he'd guess. It was a hard one, especially since it was intended for the harpsichord instead of the piano.

Carter J. Burke

Alien
The Company Man
Species
Human
Height
5'10″
Occupation
Alignment
Lawful Evil
Relationship Status
Single
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link

Burke made a thoughtful humming sound in response, but said nothing more on the subject. He wasn’t about to admit it, but Abigail had a point. The world they were trapped in was a reset button of sorts that put pretty much everybody who was taken to it on the same level, at least temporarily. It seemed that there were as many pros as there were cons to it, too. While he’d initially lost his respectable position and had to do some work to regain it, he still had the skills he needed to retrieve it and he’d found that it was easier the next time around. There was also the factor of not having to answer for the crimes he’d committed at home, at least so far. There was always the chance that particular part of his past could come back to haunt him.

The past was haunting him at the moment regardless, what with the talk of scars both physical and otherwise. His parents’ behavior towards him and each other had inflicted enough emotional damage on him to fill up an entire week’s worth of counseling, had he ever bothered to seek it out. And why else did he get claustrophobic in tight spaces, if not for the reason of once being trapped on that moon with a hive of nasty Xenomorphs? He might have felt nauseous every time he entered the Neo Dubai Mall thanks to Justin McCay but he hadn’t been the only demon he’d put up with in life. Hell, McCay hadn’t even been the worst of them.

All in all, she was absolutely right about him being a survivor. Burke would have shown more acknowledgement toward what she’d said, had she not thrown in the comment that sounded a tad too much like the moral at the end of a story. Instead he merely sniffed at the statement and waited to hear her favorite tune played on the piano. It didn’t take him long to recognize the first piece, and he caught on to the joke immediately. “That’s chopsticks,” he remarked, smirking and tilting his head in a way that could be easily translated as you’ve gotta be kidding me. The second piece had his attention, and he listened carefully as she hit every note. The almost somber sounding tune was a much better fit for her or so he thought.

“Okay,” he started once she finished the piece and turned to him for an answer. “I think you got me there. I...I have no clue what that one’s called,” He chuckled at his own comment. “It’s a...it’s a beautiful piece of music,” he admitted, a subtle but sincere smile spreading over his lips. “You’re damn good at this, you know.”

The grandfather clock chimed, and Burke turned around to face it and see what time it was. “Nine o’clock,” he muttered to himself. It looked like it was his cue to leave. “I should go,” he told Abigail. He began to fish through his pockets and eventually pulled out the second dark chocolate he’d taken from the bar when he’d first arrived. “But uh, thanks for the talk.” Before setting off for home, he dropped the small candy onto one of the piano keys. “Here, you can have this. Think of it as payment. A tip, if that's what you wanna call it.”

With a wave and a nod, Burke turned away to leave Abigail to herself. Paying her with chocolate that was available to everyone in the Library for free was probably a bit too cheap of a reward for her musical talent, but he was sure that the salary she got from the Head Librarian would more than make up for that. And perhaps giving something to her as a token of appreciation was taking a step in the right direction, even if it was a very small one.

Last edited:

Current Season

September, October, November
Click here for the autumn updates

Status Updates

//Setting Wednesday as my next posting day, see you all soon <3 //
Sorry for being so absent, my loves!! Life has been crazy, as usual :( I will hopefully be back soon, thank you for being so patient with me <333
posts coming this week! things have been h e c t i c so thank you for the patience with me <3

Featured Wanteds

Staff

Donate to Pandora

Enjoying Pandora? Consider donating to us!
All donations go towards server costs, software licenses, add-ons, themes, and future development work.

Current Events

Recent Posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iknik Blackstone Varrick
Top Bottom