By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

Private in the stars

R
R

Revan

[box=#F5F6F6, none, #9A8BB5 1px solid]

NOVEMBER 10, 109 | @Aranea Highwind

"Aranea?" Knocking lightly on the door she knew to be Aranea's (shared) room, she pushed the door open a few moments after announcing her presence. Hopefully, the woman was in there, and if not, then she supposed she could share what she had with others, but she really did hope Aranea was somewhere near.

"I brought cookies," she smiled as she stood at the doorway, holding a tray of half burnt cookies in one hand, and a bottle hanging from her other arm. "And vodka." It wasn't quality, but their alcohol stash was running dreadfully low - they'd have to stop and get some more as soon as they landed on a decently populated planet.

She didn't know Aranea that well yet, but surely, her offer of homemade (yet poorly made) cookies and alcohol to drown out the poor taste would be appreciated. Revan really tried to get to know all those who happened to join her crew, whether for a few days or months, and as she hadn't yet learned much about Aranea other than that she knew the blonde twink and she was pretty and seemed smart and good at fighting, this seemed like the perfect chance to talk.

[/box]

Reactions: Aranea Highwind

Aranea Highwind

Final Fantasy
Queen of the BSE
Race
Human
Alignment
Chaotic Good

Aranea sighed, absentmindedly scrolling through her phone. She wasn't exactly the most mechanically inclined, so while they were in transit, there wasn't much for her to do. Space was cool, and she was happy she had decided to come up here, but there was so much of it, and when there was nothing but space, there was only so much blackness you could look at before wanting to do something else. And since she didn't really have much to do, she was lying on her bed, in leggings and a comfy red top, and scrolling through her phone, trying not to play one of the three mobile games she had already played to death.

Then there was a knock, and a voice.

Revan.

As far as people went, especially on this ship, she liked Revan. The captain was nice, and was surprisingly patient when Aranea had woken up with no memory of actually signing up. She had been very drunk. Also, she was really fucking pretty, and deadly on the battlefield, and that was a combination the dragoon could respect. Aranea waved as Revan entered the room, maneuvering so she was hanging upside down on it, head almost touching the ground. "Truly, you know the way to my heart," Aranea deadpanned, though cookies and vodka did sound like an excellent combination, if a dangerous one. She pulled herself back into a normal sitting position, leaving some room for Revan to sit down either next to her, or somewhere else in the room. "I thought we were almost out of alcohol, though." A shame.

Reactions: Revan
R
R

Revan

"Pretty sure it's the way to anyone's heart," she shrugged, smile easily remaining on her lips as she entered Aranea's room, sitting next to her and placing the half burnt tray of cookies and bottle of vodka between them. She forgot glasses for them (and it was possible they had no clean ones), but Aranea didn't seem like the kind of gal to mind sipping straight from the bottle - and if she did, then her initial impression of her had been really off, and she very possibly remembered drunken events extremely poorly if so.

"We are," she confirmed with a small nod, as this was (very unfortunately) one of their last bottles. "But, I figure we can get some more when we stop in Ceres tomorrow - they've got some of the best liquor in the galaxy." She didn't know what exactly made it so that all the alcohol she had gotten in Ceres tasted so good compared to even the decent bottles she had picked up on other planets, but she had accepted it as a fact.

"Half of these are burnt, and we didn't have enough sugar, so I added a little salt," she warned, glancing down to the cookies now set between them. "So, I don't take offense if you just wanna stick to the vodka, or wait until you've drank enough to ignore the taste." A few might taste good. She couldn't be sure yet.

[/box]

Aranea Highwind

Final Fantasy
Queen of the BSE
Race
Human
Alignment
Chaotic Good

"The funnest way to anyone's heart," Aranea bantered, looking down at the tray of cookies. They looked truly terrible, but somehow she doubted that it would matter once they got far enough through that bottle of vodka. Vodka had a way of making anything taste good, either by comparison, or by drunkeness, and she just had to hope that that fact kept true as she picked up a cookie. It was one of the less burnt ones, and it looked like a normal cookie. Maybe they'd actually be decent?

Aranea took a bite and immediately regretted it. Any optimism or hope she had about the quality of the cookies went out the window as she started to cough, the first taste to hit her tongue that of salt. Salt. In cookies. She coughed, putting the rest of the cookie to the side, and wiped away any crumbs left around her mouth with a finger. "You weren't kidding," she noted dryly. Any reservations she had (which weren't any, really, but it wasn't polite to finish someone else's alcohol) vanished, and Aranea went straight for the vodka, opening it with a deft twist.

Taking a swig, Aranea felt the burn of the alcohol down her throat. It wasn't the best vodka, but it'd stop her from choking on salty cookies. "Who let you in the kitchen?" she asked, jokingly, taking another swig of vodka. "Bet you anything that the alcohol on Ceres is all hand-brewed illegally." Because that was the best alcohol, no matter where you want. Something about the crime made it taste better.

R
R

Revan

A smile spread on her lips at Aranea taking a bite of her cookie, which was a whole lot nicer than she had to be given their burnt and salty status, and even if she coughed and set it to the side, she still tried it. Out of solidarity, Revan took a bite of another cookie she made, and promptly joined in Aranea in setting it aside. The salt... was not a good replacement, but maybe if she tried it after half a bottle of vodka, it'd taste slightly better.

She didn't blame Aranea for opening up the bottle after having to taste the monstrosities that resulted from her attempt to create, still slightly coughing while trying to rid the taste from her mouth herself. "The lady I bought the ship from, technically," she shrugged. Maybe if she knew of her lack of skill while cooking, she would have removed the kitchen area for no extra cost for insurance benefits, or something. Not that she had ship insurance.

"You're right." From what she knew, Ceres was full of pirates that, along with talking with strange words like "howdy" and "yeehaw!", also engaged in a plethora of illegal activities, so, surely, the alcohol they made wasn't entirely legal, either. Or maybe the planet just didn't have rules. "Most of it's cheap as dirt, too. Can't get any better than cheap, strong, and tasting halfway decent."

After watching Aranea take a swig, she looked expectantly to the vodka, hand open as she awaited liquor to wash away the salty cookie taste.

[/box]

Aranea Highwind

Final Fantasy
Queen of the BSE
Race
Human
Alignment
Chaotic Good

Aranea watched Revan take a bite of her own salty cookies and didn't bother repressing the smile at the other woman's reaction. That was exactly what she had expected, and the fact that she had seen it coming didn't make it any less funny. She took pity on the captain, though, handing over the vodka bottle. "Poor lady, not knowing what she was subjecting her kitchen to," Aranea deadpanned, waiting for Revan to put the bottle down before she took yet another swig. Then again, it wasn't like she could talk. She could cook, but it was all survival based stuff, basic campfire meals. Pretty much anything she had learnt in an actual kitchen had been forgotten, put to the side with the other skills that she hadn't needed on the battlefield.

And none of it was baking.

"I'll drink to that," Aranea said, thinking on her own adventures in self-brewing. That illegal still that she, Biggs and Wedge had set up when they were still teenagers, that they had....well, they burned down a building. And the alcohol had been terrible. But it had been fun, for all of a week. "Hopefully with some cheap, strong, illegal, and tasting halfway decent alcohol. Looking to the side, Aranea reached to pick up the cookie that she had discarded, wondering if the chance of chocolate was worth the certainty of salt.

Fuck it.

Aranea picked up the cookie and took another bite. The vodka....made it better. Marginally.

R
R

Revan

She rolled her eyes lightly, no malice behind the action, but acceptance that she had definitely done a poor job with her cooking. While she thought herself in possession of quite a few decent skills - piloting, fixing things, fighting, cooking was clearly not one of them, and she doubted it was worth even trying to develop that skill, all things considered. As much as she wanted to be good making cookies, it was far easier and likely cheaper overall given the risk of setting on the kitchen on fire to simply buy some.

"They can't be that bad if you're still eating them," she pointed out lightly, again grasping the bottle upon it being set down to take a swig. With the vodka, she almost felt the salty aftertaste leaving her tastebuds completely. Almost.

"Why'd you decide to join us?" She again set down the bottle in between them as she spoke, gaze meeting Aranea's. It was a bit of an abrupt question, but one she had certainly been curious as to the answer since she couldn't exactly remember their first meeting. "I mean, I'm really glad you did, but why join a bunch of strangers in space?"

[/box]

Aranea Highwind

Final Fantasy
Queen of the BSE
Race
Human
Alignment
Chaotic Good

"Fair point," Aranea replied, gesturing with a half-eaten cookie. She did kept eating them. She wondered why she kept eating them, but she definitely kept eating them. She was probably going to regret this later, but, for now, there was chocolate. Even if it was also salty, it was chocolate, and chocolate was nice, especially with the burn of the vodka in her throat.

Aranea took a breath, and shrugged. "I was very drunk, to be honest, but..." She thought for a moment, and shrugged. "Pandora is a big place. It seems a waste, while we're here, to not see as much of it as possible." Taking a bite of the cookie, Aranea couldn't help making a bit of a face as she chewed and swallowed. "And I've never been to space. Always wondered what it was like, in the stars." It wasn't really possible, back in Eos, not with the war and then the darkness and then the Scourge.

Speaking of the Scourge....Aranea took another swig of the vodka, not really wanting to think about the two years of darkness in the world she had come from. There were times, before she had gotten used to the void outside, that she had looked outside and forgotten where she was, before she had seen the stars. "And the strangers....well, you guys are my type of people."

R
R

Revan

Admittedly, it was fairly shocking to see Aranea continue to eat her terribly made, possibly (but probably, hopefully not) poisonous cookies, but she supposed that just meant her cooking wasn't actually that bad - or, at the least, the vodka was strong enough to make the taste seem halfway decent.

So, she continued to join her in eating cookies, swallowing the salty, burnt batter (along with the occasional taste of chocolate) with a swig of vodka.

"I agree," she spoke easily, placing her aspirations at the side of Aranea's few words - they both wanted to see as much of this place as possible, and this was how they were doing it.

"Never?" She raised her brows, setting the vodka between them again. "I can't imagine staying in one planet for more than a month - the stars feel like home." She had to have had an actual home once, but she couldn't remember it, so the collective galaxy was where she resided.

"Same." Again, she found herself in agreement with Aranea - maybe they were more alike than she initially thought. "I can't even remember my blood related family - I don't know if I even had one - but I made one in some of the weirdest people from the corners of the galaxy. None of us should have gotten along, but we all did. Mostly."

Stars, just thinking about everyone on the Ebon Hawke made her miss them even more.

"How'd you meet your people back where you're from?"

[/box]

Aranea Highwind

Final Fantasy
Queen of the BSE
Race
Human
Alignment
Chaotic Good

Aranea shrugged. "No room for a space program in a war," she replied, dismissive of the war that had ruled her world for hundreds of years. It was weird how an apocalypse put all of that in perspective. For a moment, she considered telling Revan the other reason why a space program wouldn't have worked, but...

It wasn't just hers to tell.

Blondie was on the ship too, and though she didn't really care, she didn't want anyone to get overly curious at him, because she knew that she could handle,but...well, he had enough on his plate. Being reminded about the sunlight-eating insects that covered the sky and were responsible for turning people into demons was a fast way to ruin anyone's day. Speaking of... Aranea took a swig of vodka as soon as she had the chance. "Even back home, though, I loved to travel. Well, when I could."

Aranea sighed. "Some of them? I knew from childhood. Others? I gathered up as many of the decent people enlisted in a ratbag army as I could, started my own unit, and then defected when I finally had enough." A pause. "When we'd finally enough. Took longer than I generally want to admit, though."

R
R

Revan

War. Right.

"Pretty much all of space was caught in war, where I was from," she commented almost casually, but truly, a galaxy in chaos was all she had known. The constant clash between dark and light was her reality, and the Jedi had simply thrust her in between it all as a last hope.

"Traveling is always fun." Clearly, they both enjoyed it considering they had both agreed to travel across space, but she was seemingly as eager as Aranea to move away from the subject of war considering that never brought forth any feelings other than pain. "I pretty much had to travel to keep myself and everyone else alive, but it's nice to be able to do it without the constant threat of my death and the galaxy's annihilation."

She nodded, listening as Aranea explained how she started her own unit, which honestly, sounded a whole lot like what she did during the Mandalorian War in taking Jedi to fight by her side - not that she could remember the details even close to well. "What were you fighting for?" Her brow slightly raised. "If you want to talk about it. We can go back to talking about my shitty baking skills, if you rather."

[/box]

Aranea Highwind

Final Fantasy
Queen of the BSE
Race
Human
Alignment
Chaotic Good

War. Never changed, huh? A multiversal constant. It wasn't the first talk of war she had heard in Pandora, but it was the first from someone who wasn't just drunk in a bar somewhere. Revan wasn't drunk...yet, which meant that she knew what she was talking about, and Aranea wished she could be surprised by the knowledge that humanity was shitty wherever it was. But humanity was just shitty in general, so she wasn't, really. She wondered what that said about her. "It's everywhere," she remarked dryly. "Doesn't that just say something about humanity?"

"I knew a group like that," Aranea replied, smiling a mysterious smile to herself. Again, she didn't want to reveal too much about Shortcake's life, because it was his choice what the people on the ship knew, but she was pretty sure that, if anyone worked it out, it'd be Revan. She was observant, and clever, and very very pre-- "Travelled everywhere, because they had to. Fate of the world at stake and all that. I didn't envy them at all. I prefer my travel with less threat of death and mass destruction."

Aranea sighed. Well, so much for that. She knew that Revan had given her an out, but part of her...well, Revan had told her plenty about her life. It only felt fair to reciprocate. Taking another swig of vodka, Aranea took a deep breath. "Money," she said with a shrug. "Me and my crew? We were basically glorified mercenaries. The actual loyal soldiers? The glory of their homeland, not that there was much to glorify. The emperor was insane, the chancellor was..--" Aranea shuddered "--sleazy, at best, and the high command were all some degree of mad, from mad scientists to mad patriots. The only halfway-close-to-decent guy wasn't exactly respected, and he was just getting used anyway. It was a clusterfuck, and not the fun kinky kind."

R
R

Revan

"I mean, we had plenty of non-humans involved in our war," Revan shrugged, taking another small swig from the bottle of mediocre Vodka. "But humans were definitely at the center of it all." It was… odd, she supposed, talking of war this casually with another, but it was probably a positive to talk hard things through with others. Not to lighten the conflict, of course; just to make it more digestible, to process it through almost casual discussion with another.

"Sounds like us," she smirked, her expression only momentarily faltering - hopefully, not long enough for Aranea to notice. "We would've had a lot more fun if there wasn't the risk of the whole galaxy being ended, come to think of it. There was a lot of tension because of the whole evil people out to kill us thing." She shrugged. "But, I mean, we ultimately won, so I guess it ended up okay." She wouldn't pry as to if the group she knew also won in the end in the case that they didn't, as while she was curious, she didn't want to totally dampen their conversation by invoking shitty memories.

Well, money was certainly a reason, and Revan certainly couldn't judge - that would likely have been her motive if she wasn't fighting for everyone's life whether she wanted to or not, and now, she was pretty much just out for herself and the others on this ship.

"Damn," she sighed as Aranea finished talking about the corrupt land she was from with an insane emperor, sleazy chancellor, mad, mad, mad. "I'm sorry," she offered weakly along with the bottle. It didn't matter at this point, but she could sympathize with shitty rule. "Why is it that the absolute worst people are in charge?" Herself included. "I was this dark lord once. I can't really remember what all I did, but I'm pretty sure the power led to some terrible shit."

Aranea Highwind

Final Fantasy
Queen of the BSE
Race
Human
Alignment
Chaotic Good

"I think the moral is that humanity just sucks," Aranea replied. Of course humans were at the centre of it all. When weren't they? War sucked, and the cause of wars was humanity. Land-hungry, resource-needy, time to build an empire that definitely won't collapse like the empire we're basing our whole system on, no way guys we're going to do it this time, we definitely aren't going to annoy the Astrals that we're currently trying to murder. It wasn't that she was a big fan of the Astrals (quite the opposite, considering that she was a fan of the whole humanity deciding for humanity deal), but, at the same time, there were some very bad decisions being made by people that weren't her.

To be fair, she had made her own fair share of bad decisions, including quite possibly chugging this vodka like she didn't expect to wake up tomorrow, but its not like hers was leading an entire country to its demonic doom.

"Speaking as someone who worked for 'evil-people-out-to-kill-the-good-guys' thing, it sucked," Aranea replied, a little bit of regret tinging her voice. "No dental," she continued, her tone moving back to flippant. There was something about war that just made it easier to handle if you joked about it, and growing up in it had given her no end of jokes to make. "But winning is nice."

"It is what it is," Aranea said, but she took the vodka and took a big swig from it anyway. "Power corrupts, right? And absolute power corrupts absolutely, and we can't change our pasts, so we've just got to live with them. I've done some terrible shit, but I'm not going to apologise for it. What's the point? All you can do is make sure it doesn't happen again."

Current Season

Status Updates

I'm such a great political figure. ;)
Writing an entire post on the phone in less than thirty minutes versus the two hours it takes on the computer.
WHY DID YOU HAVE TO KILL OFF ANOTHER OF ZEKE'S ANIMALS!? :mad: #twd

Featured Wanteds

Staff

Donate to Pandora

Enjoying Pandora? Consider donating to us!
All donations go towards server costs, software licenses, add-ons, themes, and future development work.

Current Events

Recent Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roland Crane
Top Bottom