By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

[M] The Thing AU

Daniel Wing

Legend
Alias
Day
Species
human
Height
5'10 / 1,78
Occupation
Merchant
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Daniel can change his eyesight to an extend, the problem is he doesn't think yet of it naturally, too much effort and not having enough experience with it. Training is needed a lot, not just for this but to prepare him for what's to come.

Reactions: Palmer

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Height
6'1"
Occupation
Mechanic, Last Chance Fixers
Relationship Status
Impossible
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
Now that Palmer's thought of it he realizes that it's something useful to train that won't be too obvious. "Can you change your eyes yet? Figuring out how to get better at seeing different things is really useful, and using paints for that would be a help."

Reactions: Daniel Wing

Daniel Wing

Legend
Alias
Day
Species
human
Height
5'10 / 1,78
Occupation
Merchant
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
“Like when we looked at the other-blue that makes things glow?” That he can do, needs only a bit concentration to call it up. It'll stay as long as he doesn't forget about it too much, though he can't really make a sense of all he sees.

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Height
6'1"
Occupation
Relationship Status
Impossible
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
"Yeah, like that. Can you go the other way, say? Towards red? Or even further into blue?" Infrared is just heat, so explaining that one is easy. Beyond ultraviolet is x-rays, though, which are rare.

Daniel Wing

Legend
Alias
Day
Species
human
Height
5'10 / 1,78
Occupation
Merchant
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
It's difficult to do when he doesn't know how, but he tries to force the feeling of shift going the other way, blinking as the view adjusts. "What should I be seeing with that?" This is old knowledge, dragged up from human ancestors, so it doesn't come with understanding.

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Height
6'1"
Occupation
Relationship Status
Impossible
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
"The other side of red is heat, warm things should be glowing." Things like their bodies, other warm-blooded animals, particularly hot rocks, you get the general idea.

Daniel Wing

Legend
Alias
Day
Species
human
Height
5'10 / 1,78
Occupation
Merchant
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Daniel grows quiet with concentration, holding onto Palmers arm when it shifts too much to orientate himself – things do shimmer differently, but it's also weirdly flat, no real depth. “I don't like this” There's no way to tell whether some movement is a danger or a leaf or the ocean, let alone that he can distinguish the shoreline. And he only got this one pair of eyes to work with, not a dozen on different modes.

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Height
6'1"
Occupation
Relationship Status
Impossible
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
"Yeah, seeing heat is a bit disorienting with nothing to compare it to. Feel free to change back." There's a reason pit vipers have pits instead of using their eyes for that. "Humans have pretty good vision, honestly, it's just designed for Earth conditions and they don't always apply."

Daniel Wing

Legend
Alias
Day
Species
human
Height
5'10 / 1,78
Occupation
Merchant
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Daniel already was in the process of that, not going to let some tiny advance make him uncomfortable. “But we haven't been anywhere I couldn't see yet” Might be because Palmer chooses places that are safe, but then how is he ever going to learn how to adapt? An important piece of change is missing still.

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Height
6'1"
Occupation
Relationship Status
Impossible
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
"We've stayed above-ground so far, yes. Not too far from the parent stars, either. It's just more comfortable that way."

Daniel Wing

Legend
Alias
Day
Species
human
Height
5'10 / 1,78
Occupation
Merchant
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
“Because of me or because you don't want to?” Palmers abilities are limited too, he suspects that much, but it is a bit odd to only be somewhere similar to Earth. There's so many unexplored places there, they could've stayed if that's all they'll see. And Daniel dreams of flying, but doesn't even know the joy of weightlessness in space.

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Height
6'1"
Occupation
Relationship Status
Impossible
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
"A bit of both. Planets too far from their stars get terribly cold, while I doubt you'd be comfortable in a cave." Finding planets that are habitable for humans is terribly hard, but Palmer can't survive on that many worlds either. Not without hibernating, at least, which rather misses the point of the whole thing. "I could find a cave if you want?"

Daniel Wing

Legend
Alias
Day
Species
human
Height
5'10 / 1,78
Occupation
Merchant
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Daniel has never been in a cave, that's the thing. How would he know what to expect? This world is nice, he doesn't want to leave just yet, so he let's that topic be for the moment. “What about things that aren't planets?” The difference is vague, but what does he know of the rules of space?

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Height
6'1"
Occupation
Relationship Status
Impossible
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
"What? Well, there are moons I guess, but what about them?" Trying to explain this shit to someone who hasn't been taught anything is hard.

Daniel Wing

Legend
Alias
Day
Species
human
Height
5'10 / 1,78
Occupation
Merchant
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
“Well, aren't there things alive on them? Why just planets? Why not everywhere else? Why is it sticking to the rocks and not growing into space?” Many questions and nothing to back it on. Just Palmer to ask, though he always accepts if his friend doesn't know, holding back on that bit of disappointment.

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Height
6'1"
Occupation
Relationship Status
Impossible
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
"There are probably things alive on some of the bigger moons. And for all I know things do live in space, but most creatures need air."

Daniel Wing

Legend
Alias
Day
Species
human
Height
5'10 / 1,78
Occupation
Merchant
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
“There's no air in space?” Important detail that never got explained – of course he knows that Palmer had to adjust the life system for him, but he only has a vague idea what that meant, thought it was more about the light, the temperature, keeping them comfortable. Dangerous, because he could've walked out an airlock, not known that in an emergency a mask to breath for him would be the most important thing. If the ship even had some that'd fit him.

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Height
6'1"
Occupation
Relationship Status
Impossible
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
It's questions like that which remind Palmer of just how shitty Daniel's future was. "Yeah, it's the gravity of a planet that holds the air in. If you're not on a big enough object there's not enough gravity. Not unless you have artificial gravity like this ship, but it's still enclosed for a reason. Gotta keep the air in."

Daniel Wing

Legend
Alias
Day
Species
human
Height
5'10 / 1,78
Occupation
Merchant
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
“But what is between the planets then?” he asks puzzled. “And isn't that dangerous? What if there's a hole while we sleep?” Easier not to be anxious when he hadn't known yet – some things were better not answered. Same as them not talking too much about what'd happen once he was more Thing than human, that he'd eventually need living food.

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Height
6'1"
Occupation
Relationship Status
Impossible
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
"Mostly there's nothing in between them. And I don't sleep, remember? Plus the walls on this thing are thick for a reason. The people who built it knew what they were doing."

Current Season

Status Updates

sorry to the people i'm writing with, kind of all over the place lately. trying to work it out and get back to normal soon hopefully.
So sorry for the recent slowness! I'm gonna post hoard through the weekend and try and catch up in one fell swoop to reset a bit.
// if I disappear, I should be back this Saturday :) //
Zhongli wrote on Howl Jenkins Pendragon's profile.
hOW REMARKABLE THAT I MAY FIND AN EXCEPTIONAL WARLOCK SUCH AS YOURSELF ON THIS EXTRAORDINARILY CONVENIENT PLATFORM AS WELL.
SonicSora wrote on insomniacowl's profile.
watch yourself, little man, i'll get your clown shoes

Featured Wanteds

Staff

Donate to Pandora

Enjoying Pandora? Consider donating to us!
Target Goal: $263
Raised: $200
Currently saving money to fund for general costs for next year and a shop system. Read more about it here!

Current Events

Recent Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kazuha Kaedehara
Top Bottom