By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

Private supernaturally over my head

Toby Daye

October Daye
Empathy Queen
Race
Changeling
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
W/ Gabe
link
Dec 12th, Year 109 || @Dante

Daye Investigations had one core element that Toby constantly harped on when speaking to her employees. People were supposed to help each other out with cases. If they were in over their heads, they were supposed to ask for help. The brunette was pretty sure that almost everyone managed to pull it off without too much trouble and yet... she had trouble asking. She assigned cases when her case load or someone else's load got too big, but she thought of herself as someone that could handle just about anything at this stage in her life.

But there were certain circumstances that Toby knew she couldn't be stubborn about.

She had picked up a case from Pandopolis PD about missing children. Not dead children, but kids that were vanishing out of nowhere. Too many in too close a distance and more than anything else, it had been too close to the office to boot. Toby might not have connected the cases together but that many missing kids all in the same area? Something didn't feel right and she had gotten a hint of something magical at the last scene. What she needed was a different set of eyes and the brunette figured she had just the person to ask when he came walking into her office that morning, just like clockwork. Dante didn't always come into the office at the same time every day but he did come walking into her office as soon as he did.

Toby flashed the white haired man a smile and she leaned back in her chair. She was dressed down that day. Jeans, t-shirt, winter jacket hanging off the back of her chair and a pair of combat boots on. No meetings or anything of the sort. This meant she was actually doing leg work. Heels were great for meetings but even if she could run in them, Toby hated it. "Morning Dante." Toby sounded cheery enough for the minute. "Got plans for today?" Things would get depressing soon enough. For the moment, she was having a cup of coffee and saying hello to a friend.

Reactions: Dante

Dante

Devil May Cry
Race
Hybrid
Occupation
Investigator
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
Single
link
Organizer
link

Despite the rougher edges to the job, like seeing the fallout and having to deliver awful news to families, walking into the building every morning still got him to relax a bit. Today he had a cup of coffee and a box of donuts with him, carefully leaving the box with Lenalee before moving to his desk.

He quickly grabbed a case file from the top, a donut half crammed into his mouth and coffee warming his other hand. Right on schedule, the investigator made his way into Toby's office with a small smirk. "Mornin'." There was an attempt to talk around the donut, but it was somewhat failed.

Setting the coffee down on her desk, he took a bite out of the donut as he sat down in an empty chair. "Current plan's a lil' breakfast, then I was thinking of going down to the station to ask one of the officers for more detail on this supposed demon sighting. Might've gotten it wrong, but nothin' too big today."

• Love
Reactions: Toby Daye

Toby Daye

October Daye
Empathy Queen
Race
Changeling
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
W/ Gabe
link
Like clockwork. Had a habit of having something stuffed in his mouth too. Dante was almost always eating. He ate more next to anyone but Lift, she felt. That was just who he was. Toby offered him that same smile before taking a sip of her coffee and listening to him ramble for a second. Dante had become a big part of D.I. Admittedly, it had happened naturally, just like it seemed to do with everyone else. Everyone found their niche, found their spot, and then just... became part of life. Just like that.

Toby remembered something about a demon sighting. Not anyone friendly, perhaps barely in control of themselves, or someone demented from the start. Toby didn't go jumping at anything that was labeled in a certain way. Their actions mattered more than what they were. After her life, who was she to judge? Except her own kind but faerie had burned her enough times that she didn't feel she could ever fully trust anyone without human blood in them beyond fae. That was complicated though and something she didn't always talk about.

"I... need some outside perspective." Outside of her current case, not outside of the company, and Dante didn't have anything to do with this case. "I think I'm a little too close to it, but it's not... it's not nice." There were very few things that Toby would hesitate to hand the man but cases to do with kids would tug on his heartstrings. Considering the first conversation they had had together and the way he acted around the kids in the office, actually almost exactly like Toby did even if he talked a different game, and that meant Dante had the same spot soft she did.

Toby picked up the file from her desk and held it halfway out to Dante. "Has to do with kids." A warning was in order and while part of Toby did want to tell Dante that he could say no... as a boss, Toby couldn't give him too much of a choice. Not when she was feeling like she needed help finding those kids in the first place. Dante was her friend and he'd understand the priority here.

• Love

Dante

Devil May Cry
Race
Hybrid
Occupation
Investigator
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
Single
link
Organizer
link

Has to do with kids. There were very few cases that the half-demon couldn't handle, very few rough jobs he wasn't willing to handle so no one else had to. Comforting families was never his forte, but he'd gladly do it to try to help bring people at least a little peace in what was most likely one of their darkest moments. Cases that involved kids were the ones that always hit closer than Dante ever wanted them to.

Nero hadn't had much support as a kid from his brother or even him, but that was a regret he planned to carry for a while. He'd wanted to do better but expressing that was a lot harder than it had any right to be. It's not like he had much of a guide on being a good uncle or father figure, but he tried.

The kids in the office were a second shot at that. He checked in on them as frequently as seemed necessary, gave them their space when that seemed best. Bringing food was a big one, which gave an even better excuse to check in without actually saying the words outright like a normal father figure might. They were family now, as unexpected as the situation may be.

It had very quickly made cases involving missing or murdered kids a lot harder. Making the connection of age, being able to recognize how that might've felt in far too vivid detail. He sucked in a breath as he took the file, expression turning a bit more serious as he set the coffee aside.

Blue eyes scanned over the details, the investigator's heart dropping into his stomach. "Fuck, Toby..." Missing kids, too big of a number to be anything less than a serial case. Close to the office, to boot. He glanced up at his boss, concern lacing his features. "Think it's someone trying to get under your skin?"

• Love

Toby Daye

October Daye
Empathy Queen
Race
Changeling
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
W/ Gabe
link
Toby was quiet while Dante read over the details. Her gaze might have drifted to his face a couple of times, but she had also tried to give him a little bit of space to react naturally. Besides watching someone was a little creepy considering the subject. Because whoever it was, they would have had to have eyes all over the place to be able to leave the crime scenes so damn clean. Toby had a bunch of different thoughts that could have meant a similar sort of crime scene, but none of them fit the description right. It felt like something new and Toby never liked it when Pandora decided to throw her damn curve balls!

Of course, Dante thought of an entirely different angle all together. Was someone trying to get under her skin? "Why would anyon--" The changeling had started to reply with a half smile on her face. That just sounded a little bit ridiculous, didn't it? And yet, there were plenty of people out there that knew her weak point was kids. That her buttons could be pressed in predictable ways when kids were involved. Toby always got a little more reckless in those situations with herself. After all, she was far more durable than most kids were.

So the words caught off and Toby sat a little straighter in her seat, considering what Dante had said. She had made a decent amount of enemies here in Pandora because she was unwilling to be pushed around. Not here. Not where the laws of the land could actually work for her for once. "It could be. I really don't know." She bit on her bottom lip before finally shaking her head. "No one I've tangled with in Pandora would be capable of this level. Not without me knowing it was them from trace magic. Of which there's been none, right up until the last one." There was a reason for that, Toby knew, but it was a reason she didn't like. "They called me early enough on the last one. Kid wasn't gone more than a couple of hours and I could catch the edge of something new." Something Toby had never encountered and couldn't put a name to.

Not entirely, though it was familiar in a very bad way. She was quiet for a second and took another sip of her coffee. "Anything more up your alley might do something like this?" For the moment, Toby was just fishing for more information but she'd ask Dante for his direct help on this case sooner or later. Considering it was something the brunette had never run into before, it might have been something more like the shit from his home world though from Toby's understanding things were a little more... messy as far as disappearances went. Couldn't hurt to ask directly though.

• Love

Dante

Devil May Cry
Race
Hybrid
Occupation
Investigator
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
Single
link
Organizer
link

He hummed in thought, chewing on his lip. "Could be a weaker enemy you've made finding help, but maybe not. Just something to consider." There were plenty of possibilities, but right off the bat it worried him. Not just for the kids' sakes, but for Toby's as well. Just reading over the case file had been heavy enough, but he knew working the actual case and seeing it all in person had to be harder. These cases were never going to be easy.

When she asked about something more up his own alley, Dante paused. "Demons back home don't typically care that much, if it was my kinda demon the kids are... dead. I'd have to see the crime scenes myself to be sure, but I can't think of why they'd do something like this." Unless Toby wasn't the target and he was, but very few people knew too much about his own soft spots.

"It could still be a demon, it'd make sense if it's something new. You've run in with most magic around here, but demons are always different." Ever shifting into stranger and more dangerous variations of themselves, but he'd been getting pretty damn good at keeping track. A little work in the library had helped a few months back to start tracking where everything seemed to come from. Not that he was exactly welcomed back to the library anymore, but he'd gotten enough information.

• Love

Toby Daye

October Daye
Empathy Queen
Race
Changeling
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
W/ Gabe
link
Just something to consider. It was something she should have considered. Toby had had plenty of enemies over the years. More than she could count on both hands, maybe more than she could could on her fingers and toes. Toby didn't exactly hide when she was beating someone's face in and she liked to make sure that bad sorts understood there was a deterrent around. A leftover from her days in faerie. Where you couldn't kill your enemy and you had to try to keep your swagger bigger than the others as a way to keep them from doing bad. At least while they thought she could have been on their ass. It was something that served her well for a good number of situations in the past... but it hadn't stopped people from coming after her either.

So Dante's idea probably wasn't too far off base, if it was targeted or planned.

He had another point, which was the fact demons from his side of the road weren't the kinds to be this... clean, maybe? Toby had met some demons from his world when that one portal had opened when she had met Dante's nephew. This was the reason why Toby had invited Dante onto this case. Another perspective while also understanding their feelings on this. Worked real well for the changeling. "Something to consider. I have a habit of pissing people off by breathing." There was a chuckle to go along with the statement because Toby was a little proud of herself in that department. If someone thought she was their enemy, they were probably fucking right.

"Some of the demons I've met could do something like this, but I still would have been able to smell them." Their magic would have been all over the place. Every demon she had ever met had been like that. "I'm afraid it's just human... maybe someone... mutant, but not anything I can really trace." Which was always a bit of a trouble for Toby, but it wasn't like she was without normal investigative skills. They'd just have to really figure this out. "I can probably get you on the latest scene if you'd like." It might take a little bit but Toby had a decent amount of clout with the department when it came to her team. After all, the contract included being able to bring on her employees if needed.

• Love

Dante

Devil May Cry
Race
Hybrid
Occupation
Investigator
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
Single
link
Organizer
link

Most demons back home weren't smart enough for this kinda stunt. Some certainly were or could be if they cared enough, but most were just wanting to destroy everything for the sake of it. It's careful, the planning that went into this whole messed up situation as well as the execution. He gave a small nod, even if the thought of seeing it all up close didn't settle well.

"I'll see what I can do when we get there." If Toby thought it was someone human, he was already somewhat more concerned. Demons were predictable, they wanted certain things that were almost always true, but humans... humans could be difficult, especially the kind willing to do something as sickening as this.

He set the case file back onto Toby's desk, leaning against it slightly. "How soon do you want me there? I'm not doin' anything right now if the chief's gonna be good with that."

• Love

Toby Daye

October Daye
Empathy Queen
Race
Changeling
Alignment
Neutral Good
Relationship Status
W/ Gabe
link
The worst people that Toby had dealt with in Pandora had been human. Or had been human once. She couldn't help but think of Salem with that idle thought but she pushed it away. Salem kidnapping children? Just as likely as anything else, she was sure. Toby couldn't help but think that cruel was more of a faerie thing but she understood her own bias on the subject. She had dealt with faerie cruelty for most of her life. She understood it intimately, but that was one of the reasons why she had invited Dante along on this case. That second set of eyes was something that Toby really needed right then. She didn't want to fuck any of this up.

How soon do you want me there? Toby had set D.I. up in a specific way. Every investigator was in charge of their own schedule and caseload. Investigators had the right to say no to Toby if she asked them to take a case. If they were over worked or had any high priority cases that they needed to take care of. Toby had to trust that her investigators would be realistic with their workload and tell her if they couldn't help. That part was the kicker and she knew that. After all, how could Toby ever turn down helping on a case? How could someone like Dante or Nick?

Every adult in Daye Investigations had a bleeding heart. Dante included. "Let's go now. Sooner it's taken care of, the better I'll sleep." There was a little bit of a smile again, if only because Toby was admitting something personal to her friend. Something he could probably guess but something that felt good to speak too. Dante knew one of her weak points but it was an obvious thing anyways. Kids. Toby Daye had a soft spot for kids. Who would have guessed?

The brunette stood up and pulled her leather jacket on in one quick movement. Then she started for the door. "I know which officer to sweet talk." Dojima would be more than happy for her to stick her nose further into this case, she was sure. Time to get to work.

• Love

Current Season

Status Updates

I'LL FIGHT YOU ALL WITH MY BARE HANDS
How do I domesticate an adult griffin?

What do griffins eat?

What do griffins sleep on?
Orpheus replies coming up this week! Sorry to keep you guys waitin'
how do you go about telling your crush you like them? asking for a friend(the friend is me)
Word to the wise, if someone delivers flowers to you late at night, don't answer the door.

Featured Wanteds

Staff

Donate to Pandora

Enjoying Pandora? Consider donating to us!
All donations go towards server costs, software licenses, add-ons, themes, and future development work.

Current Events

Recent Posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mard123
Top Bottom