By the hands of the Gods, you have been plucked from your time and from your world, dropped into the box.
Only the box is a world of its own.
We are a mass crossover based on the concept of Pandora's Box. Characters from nearly any fandom can be played here. Because of the endless character possibilities, we are canon only here at Pandora. Take a peek at our rules and plot information before starting your new life in Pandora.
Want to add a quote? Submit them here!

Private Supply Run

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Occupation
Mechanic, Last Chance Fixers
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
Sixth of July, 109, Morning

Palmer has an apartment and a job now. This means that he has a place for his stuff and a way to get more stuff, to paraphrase George Carlin. It also means that he doesn't have enough stuff to fill the place, which is the new goal. Not that he's much of a materialist or anything, quite the opposite, but after Antarctica it would be great to just have a working radio. God, Windows had been fucking useless. And then Blair had smashed everything, because of course he did. Ugh.

Another nice thing to have would be a surveillance camera. Are there such things for private homes? How much do those cost? Probably way more than he can afford as a new arrival, even with the way everyone is giving him newcomer discounts. The Hell with it, he can cobble one together if he has to. Same with a growing setup. Being a mechanic is useful that way.

So radio, camera, indoor gardening . . . food! Yes, he definitely needs food. Food is tasty. Also humans die without it. He's not so sure about Things, but it seems important for every other animal so best not to risk it. Finally, not buying food would be weird, and being truly weird is anathema. That way is the risk of people distrusting each other, the risk of people shooting each other, but more importantly the risk of fire. No, Palmer is just a stoner and he is going to keep it that way so help him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel Wing

Daniel Wing

Legend
Species
human
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
While Daniel was quite content living in the Vales and enjoyed having a market that didn't run on 'whatever fell off the military trucks, prices rising exponentially with demand', there were some things he just needed to go elsewhere for. Fresh produce he had plenty right in Cascade Bay and his network of material suppliers for his work was well-maintained, but living in a place that bordered on medieval with magic made for a certain lack of convenient produce.
Like noodles for instance. He enjoyed cooking, really, there just was no way he'd spend hours on dough for one meal. Life was too short for that. So early grocery trip to Pandopolis it was. A guy caught his eye on the way, looking... well. A bit off. Daniel recognized the effects of drugs, forced to use that certain one himself as a pain remedy back when his brain didn't work as it should. The effects he'd suffered meant he'd keep any eye on that one, his knives ready on his belt. That patch on the guys jacket was interesting too, U.S., for the United States, what his home had been before the war and all that was left small keepsakes they were forbidden to possess.

Reactions: Palmer

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Occupation
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
The mild effect of pot is not the only strange thing about Palmer if you look close enough. More worrying is the way his eyes rove in a paranoid fashion when he thinks no one is likely to notice, the way he reacts to things just slightly faster than normal--and, if you pay very close attention indeed, places where his skin has split and merged again. Only an expert could tell the difference between a Thing and its disguise, but it is a disguise. The fact that it was 'born' in disguise doesn't change that.

Palmer himself is focused on the department store and thinking about his shopping list, but that ends once some part of him picks up on the feeling of being watched. His movements become a bit more human, his active paranoia more subtle. Under the happy, stoned persona the other side of his personality gets ready.

Now, what to do if this person actually confronts him? He's not sure. This is a public space, he can't be too open, but he can't allow someone to spy on him either. Palmer doesn't even like violence, dammit, why can't people leave well enough alone? This is practically a kid, too. Hurting kids is bad, that's part of why the old Palmer became so vehemently anti-war.

Oh well. He'll just have to wing it. He's spent his whole life winging it under threat of being burned to incapacitation if not death, this shouldn't be as hard. Assuming the kid isn't magic or something, admittedly, but not like Palmer can do much about that if he is.

Daniel Wing

Legend
Species
human
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
There was no need for Daniel to look close, his natural perception on a level wholly different from any normal humans. He noticed the little ticks of fear, the reaction times and what he supposed to be scars – coming from a world that'd been at war longer than anyone could remember meant everyone carried their own. His were hidden under clothes mainly, except for the little prick in his eye that was lighter than the rest and a thick one at the base of his neck, both signs of the experiments done on him.

Now the kid knew that it was dangerous and impolite to stare at people, remembering many a lesson where a wrong glance of his brought trouble, gaze too rebellious to be taken well by patrols. Better to get this over before it got awkward. Strolling closer, keeping just enough distance to not be a threat, calling out to the guy: “Hey cousin! That patch you have...” he indicated the place by tipping on his own chest. “... you from there?” An innocent enough question, he hoped.

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Occupation
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
What? Oh, so it's not anything bad then. Just curious about his army patch. Which is itself a bit odd, but he's hardly one to talk. Not that he's weird! No, Palmer is perfectly normal thank you very much. He's normal and he's going to stay normal, even if he did split his head open last night just to see what it felt like. (It wasn't nearly as painful as he'd expected, for the record. Weird, but not painful.)

"Hmm? Oh, yeah. I'm from California." He's not, at least not anymore, but no one is from Antarctica so he can't exactly say that. He can say that's where he was taken from, though. "Mind you, I was working at a research station in fucking Antarctica when I got pulled here. They needed mechanics and I'm a mechanic. Specialize in helicopters, that's how the military excused drafting a guy like me." Because he is absolutely not the military type. Everything from his insouciant slouch to the faint smell of weed screams 'hippie stoner' and possibly even 'war protester'--assuming Daniel has ever seen one before.

The young man's gaze is beginning to make him nervous for some reason, maybe because he just looks like he's been through some stuff. Maybe if Palmer mentions the store he'll be left alone? Palmer, after all, is blissfully unaware that Daniel is here for the same thing. "Look, I've got some stuff to buy, so if that was all you wanted to know . . ?" He hopes that was it. Humans being curious about him is totally nerve-wracking.

Last edited:

Daniel Wing

Legend
Species
human
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
At the mention of California his face lighted up, someone to talk to from his home before it changed. That he'd worked in Antarctica made this all the more interesting. Sure, being a member of the military was a fact that always made him nervous, but one got to work, right? And it hadn't been as a soldier after all – if Republic would've let him, Daniel gladly would've become a pilot, likely never questioning the system. Neither hippies nor protesters were really present in his world, the first long gone with an absence of peace, the latter eradicated with violence. Even slouching like that might've handled him in a beating from some patrol as a lesson.

He had more questions, shook his head slightly before they started: “How is it in California? What year are you from? Are they Floods happening already? Have they begun building Ross City in Antarctica already? Do you really have lights in every house?” It was sad how little he knew about his own history and with many people here having different worlds, he jumped at the chance of asking someone with more of a shared bit.

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Occupation
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
Palmer had never been pro-war and he became outright rabid in the other direction for a while after he got out, so their opinions mesh pretty well on that front. Shame about the lack of protest in Daniel's world, but Palmer can probably make up for it single-handedly if you ask.

What the Hell? What are all these questions for? Half of them don't even make sense. "Depends on what part, 1982, not especially, there's all of 6,000 people there even in summer so I'm guessing no, yes." Seriously, what. "When the Hell are you from, man?" He doesn't actually care that much about when the kid is from, but old Palmer would have been and that's his standard for human behavior. Hey, maybe returning the questions will discourage him. Palmer does kind of need to do his shopping, after all.

Last edited:

Daniel Wing

Legend
Species
human
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
He had no issue following the string of answers and what an interesting bunch they were! It was hard to imagine being from so many years ago, 2 centuries back. Antarctica having barely a district full of people. No floods. Lights everywhere. Just fair that the question got turned back and until it got into details of his life he'd be comfortable talking about it. “2132. L.A., California – but it's not the United States anymore. It`s Republic now. Colonies, for anything east of Vegas. What's left of it anyway... a couple hundred years ago the water levels started rising, claiming the land back. That following war split it... not that it's stopped ever since.” Daniel shrugged a bit. “That's why I asked about your patch. Republic kept all history before the Floods under lock, would kill you for asking the wrong questions. But I think it's important to know how it got to what it's today.” Once he'd trespassed into a forbidden section in the library out of curiosity, but even that didn't held much.

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Occupation
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
"Oh! Shit, that sounds awful." It really does. And since Palmer is/was a nice guy, he'll have to do a little teaching. "You wanna come with me? I can tell you about stuff while I shop.

"So, history. There was a draft back when I was in college--you guys still got college? Anyway, the war was utter arrogance on America's part, we were fighting against the will of the people of Vietnam and we paid for it. It's amazing how long a so-called primitive bunch of guerrilla fighters can last against even the best military if they're determined enough. But I got called up, was mostly a mechanic, and immediately joined the anti-war movement when I got back." He laughs. "I probably memorized a couple dozen anti-war songs, I could teach you a few if you're interested."

He'll just not mention that all of this is technically someone else's memories. It still counts.

Daniel Wing

Legend
Species
human
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
It was great that this guy was willing to tell him some more, not everyone eager on it. “Sure!” he could pick up his own things on the way. “I'm Daniel.” Just proper to offer his name, before he started listening enraptured, leaving comments till after. “College is only for those who make it through the Trial – what's a draft?” It long since stopped being anyhow temporarily to participate in the military. “Where IS Vietnam?” He couldn't remember it from the maps he knew.

Shrugging a bit he said: “I beat the military for years. It's not that hard. They think too much on their tactics and training.” Going out of that mindset was what he'd been good at. “But... is it safe to know them? Wouldn't you get shot for it?” Words were dangerous, he learned that early,but so were glances, the wrong moves. Everything could upset the wrong people.

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Occupation
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
“Everyone calls me Palmer. Nice to meet you.” He raises an eyebrow. But then fish have no word for water, as the saying goes. “A draft is basically when signing up for the military becomes mandatory, and then you just have to hope that the bastards don’t call you up.”

That question is not a good sign. “They’re certainly not supposed to, although admittedly I can think of at least one song about it happening anyway. But no, I wouldn’t be alive right now if that was a death penalty offense.” Says the man who is technically nothing but a copy of the dead one he’s talking about. Palmer’s life is so messed up.

Daniel Wing

Legend
Species
human
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
„Oh. Think they got rid of that when the war started – everyone is somehow part of the military. It's the only good jobs to have and it's not like the war stops just because you aren't a soldier. If your Trial score is good enough to get them that is.” Education was linked directly to the military, the only chance at anything that could support a family.

Daniel still had a hard time imaging a world where one could just speak his mind, treating careful even here, habits hard to loose. “Not a penalty – just some officer not liking it or not liking how you looked at him and beating you up for it. Or worse.” There certainly hadn't been laws and courts involved when it happened, making it all the less right and still impossible to do much about it. Who to turn to if the people supposed to protect you are the problem? He'd learned to not even try.

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Occupation
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
"So everyone comes pre-signed up, or what?"It sounds shitty, whatever it is.

"Oh, police are definitely bastards. But people would still get upset if someone was shot just for daring to sing. Hell, there are anti-war songs written from the point of view of soldiers. 'I Ain't Marching Anymore,' 'Lyndon Johnson Told the Nation,' 'Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die Rag' . . ." He grins. Humans are really good at music, it's something he approves of. "And it's 1 2 3 what are we fighting for? Don't ask me I don't give a damn! Next stop is Vietnam. And it's 5 6 7 open up the pearly gates. There ain't no time to wonder why Whoopee! We're all gonna die. God, that brings back memories." Not his memories, but memories.

"Oh, and Vietnam is Southeast Asia by the way. West of Central America, maybe a little lower."

Last edited:

Daniel Wing

Legend
Species
human
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
“It's... not a choice. If you're Trial score is good enough for university, service is part of that. Part of your job, no matter what it'll be. And you don't want what's possible without education – dangerous and you can't support a family on it.” His father cleaning up at the war front. His mother picking through glass shards. John in the power plants. All of them hurt in their jobs, through them and their combined earnings not enough to keep them fed.

“No. They wouldn't. If they did, they'd get shot too.” Daniel replied all serious, recalling just to well how they killed a plaza full of people who'd come to watch his execution charge being read, not even saying anything, only some mirroring his looks, a single red streak in their hair to show the support. Nothing else and still enough. There hadn't been a warning. More lifes lost that weighted on his consciousness. “Not good ones” he muttered in regards to the memories, focused on the topographical question instead. “So like... where the Sea Cities of China anchor?”

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Occupation
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
"Oh, the entire economy is on a war footing then? I guess it would have to be, if the war hasn't stopped in so long you don't know what came before.

"I think'd that eventually there would be no more bullets, no more soldiers willing to kill their own or no more people to govern. Humans are stubborn bastards, especially when they feel ill-used."
Using 'they' instead of 'we' there is normal enough, right? He's pretty sure he's heard humans call humanity 'they' before. "And a lot of them aren't so great for me either. I was in my share of police riots. Saw them beat up guys in wheelchairs for the crime of not wanting to see more guys in wheelchairs. But eventually public opinion turned against them to the point that they had to either send in the military against their own people, soldiers who often sided with the people, or else end the war. We were lucky enough that they ended the war."

Now he's the one who has no idea what's being talked about. China has sea cities? Anywhere has sea cities? "That's shit from after my time, kiddo. No flooding, remember? We haven't had to figure out what to do about the ice melting yet." He assumes that's what the flooding is. He hopes it is. Antarctica was really shitty and could stand to warm up a little in his opinion.

Last edited:

Daniel Wing

Legend
Species
human
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Sadly the soldiers he'd meet were rather reluctant to disobey, having doubts maybe – that's why Daniel never personally blamed them – but having families too, deciding their safety to be more important. Which wasn't something he could argue with. “It's been over a hundred years.” he replied quietly. More than enough time to change and nothing happening. “There are no riots. I've once seen a square of people gathered to watch my charges being read. Just being there, nothing more. They gathered unmarked soldiers on the roofs around and shot them all.” More deaths on his consciousness, not that he could've done anything.

“Well... I suppose that'll cause it eventually. I heard Antarctica was really cold before, but now it's the worlds leading nation. Ross City got a dome to keep out the weather and they have all the newest technology. Africa is doing well too, what with their flourishing food industry.” A world changed, just thanks to some more water in the oceans and shifting climate.

Last edited:

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Occupation
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
For a moment Palmer’s eyes go dark and dead, no longer reflecting the light. Then he’s normal again. “Fucking bastards.”

He doesn’t much like the idea of Antarctica becoming populated like that, for all that it needs warming up. A dozen people knowing what he is was more than bad enough, more people in the Antarctic means more people to see the spacecraft.

They arrive at the store around this point, though, so he doesn’t have to share his opinion. Too busy with getting a shopping cart.

Daniel Wing

Legend
Species
human
Alignment
Chaotic Good
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Daniel noticed the change in Palmers eyes, bred to notice such tiny details in his surroundings. He just choose not to say anything, simply filed the other away as not-human, like so many people around here. It'd not change a thing about how he behaved, only if problems arouse ask what he'd need to take into account. Unlikely to happen here in the store.

Since he had a backpack and a plan of what exactly to get there was no need for a cart, did he took a basket instead. “Need a coin for the cart?” he asked, seeing Palmer struggle. “They're usually locked, so people don't carry them away. I've been in this store plenty of times, so just ask if you need help finding anything.”

Palmer

The Thing
Species
Thing
Occupation
link
Organizer
link
Directory
link
Character Development
link
Palmer would not be happy if he knew Daniel had noticed, but as it is he's mercifully oblivious. "I've got a coin around here somewhere, I just want to know what the Hell they're locking the damn things for. How many people are going to steal a damn shopping cart of all things?

"I think I'll be able to find stuff, but if not I'll be sure to ask you."
He manages to get a cart and heads off to get a radio. Music and news are both good things to have.

Current Season

Status Updates

Justin McCay VERSUS Luke Skywalker:
Pinder, schminder. People should just stick with archery contests, and base all future dates on the results.
All of ya deserve love. Don't forget that. Even the skeleton fella who yells at cats and then laughs to himself
WHAT!? YOU NAMED THE AMPHITHEATER AFTER ATHENA!? But she's not even an artist! She's a boring stick in the mud! What do you do there? Watch old women weave all day? This is egregious! Egregious I tell you!
Hello mortals! It was a beautiful day today wasn't it? I know. I know. No need to thank me. But you're welcome anyways. ;)

Featured Wanteds

Staff

Donate to Pandora

Enjoying Pandora? Consider donating to us!
All donations go towards server costs, software licenses, add-ons, themes, and future development work.

Current Events

Recent Posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neptune
Top Bottom